Denial of Service

42,026 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
etj77845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In this day and age I can not understand how this even happens.
quote:
Service Dog Denied Entry in Navasota RestaurantService Dig

Martha's Bloomers of Navasota is in clear violation of provisions of Texas Human Resource Code and should be held accountable. Service Dog . Not Just the poppycock quoted by media.
quote:
While the hostess was new, News 3 asked Alvey why the [url=http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/College-Station-Woman-Says-Service-Dog-Denied-Restaurant-Claims-Misunderstanding-305113341.html#]manager[/url] and waitresses did not allow the service dog inside the establishment.
Alvey replied that she does not know of the two people involved. She was not
told about anyone else involved. Alvey says Martha's Bloomers is pet and
ADA friendly and values all [url=http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/College-Station-Woman-Says-Service-Dog-Denied-Restaurant-Claims-Misunderstanding-305113341.html#]customers[/url]. They would welcome Grymes and her service dog back at any time
91_Aggie
AG
Sounds like a young server didn't know the law and made a mistake and sounds like management has taken steps to correct the issue.

There doesn't need to be a witch hunt every time someone makes a mistake.

But again, we are in the millennial age of America right now where "The Right to be Offended" is considered a law and people must be punished severely if someone ever is offended.

91_Aggie
AG
And reading further it is clear she liked being offended.

1. She called the cops about it. "I knows my rights and someone is going to pay". A rational person would just say, "Well, you lost my business" and leave.

2. She says: "Grymes she wants a sincere apology one she says she has yet to receive." I'm sure that no matter what the management says, she's not going to be happy.

Even handicapped people can be jerks.
rhoswen
AG
Agreed. Sounds like this lady is making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes, maybe management needed to be informed, but calling the cops AND the local news is not the way to go about it.
MiMi
S
I also saw on KBTX that the hostess thought the woman said "guard" dog instead of "guide" dog. How can anyone think that a blind woman with a dog in harness has anything but a guide dog with her?
75AG
AG
quote:
I also saw on KBTX that the hostess thought the woman said "guard" dog instead of "guide" dog. How can anyone think that a blind woman with a dog in harness has anything but a guide dog with her?
Maybe the hostess was also blind?
toolshed
AG
I know this lady and you couldn't be more wrong. She doesn't "like being offended" and isn't "making a mountain out of a mole hill". The representative from the company either didn't know the full story or misrepresented what happened. This wasn't "30-60 seconds of miscommunication". Several people denied her entry to the restaurant. After they refused her service, which is illegal, she contacted the police.

She is blind, was refused service, and the establishment refused to read and understand federal law. I don't see the means to defend those kind of actions. Maybe you do, I don't know.
Scruffy
AG
Handicapped need protection too.
etj77845
May be a tempest in a teapot to some but from the FB page: FB

quote:
I explained Dyson is a Guide dog for the blind and a service animal and can go anywhere the public can go.
She told me no and I ask to speak to the manager.
She shut the door in my face.
I opened and went inside.
Then the staff inside also said I could not dine there and manager ask
to speak to me outside when I explained he is a Guide Dog for the Blind.
then when outside she ask again what he is for and I again told her a Guide dog for the blind.
She told me the health department does not allow dogs in her restaurant and we could not eat there........

................He offered me a sandwich to go and to make it right but it was way past that.
I just said we were leaving and I would share my experience on Facebook and in social media.

Now I don't know the young lady and have eaten in this establishment- likely for the last time- but a "sandwich" to go!!!
originaltexan

i never thought i would see the day that a blind person was attacked with words...
Rexter
Once again, why can't service animals be required to have ID and/or a vest? Not that it would correct an uniformed staff, but it would alleviate a lot of problems with the animals gaining entry to businesses. Currently, you can't even ask if the animal is a service animal. No ID, collar, or vest is required.
laavispa
quote:
(k) Except as provided by Subsection (l), a person is not entitled to make demands or inquiries relating to the qualifications or certifications of a service animal for purposes of admittance to a public facility except to determine the basic type of assistance provided by the service animal to a person with a disability.

Now obviously if the dog were in the normal 'guide dog for the blind' harness this would be a clue. The problem comes in with other types of service animal.. diabetic alert or say for a vet with PTSD...
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
I think she (the hostess) is making that part up to cover up a mistake. If the cops and local news all over her butt, I can see why she would try to make an excuse to cover it up.
BlueMiles
AG
Maybe the hostess needs a dog for hearing impairment.
95_Aggie
AG
small town problems
aggiepaintrain
AG
91_Aggie
AG
Again, a rational person just says "Fine. I won't be doing business with you".

Calling KBTX and the police means she wants more than her "rights"... she wants attention and retribution.
jrhmc
AG
quote:
Once again, why can't service animals be required to have ID and/or a vest? Not that it would correct an uniformed staff, but it would alleviate a lot of problems with the animals gaining entry to businesses. Currently, you can't even ask if the animal is a service animal. No ID, collar, or vest is required.
It wouldn't have been the case in this instance. Her dog has a very obvious harness with Guide Dog on the harness. It's very obvious when someone who is blind is being guided by a dog. In Houston an an event this last weekend, I saw guide dogs in harnesses all over but some of them definitely were not obvious in what disability they were assisting. Business owners have to be careful of how they train their staff. I also think the waitress/hostess was pulling a CYA when she came up with the story about thinking it was a guard dog.
gettingitdone
I read the entire story on FB this weekend. The patron asked several people as well as the police officer to reconsider. She offered her ADA card as proof, and no one seemed interested. She clearly stated at this point she wanted an apology for being treated unfairly, and wanted education and training for the staff and management of Martha's Bloomers. She isn't asking for free food, only an apology and a promise that the staff will be trained. The manager was called and held firm on the side of the hostess.
foxfire
Speaking of CYA. Carolyn Alvey is head of a Dallas PR firm and not just a spokesman. Really working on that image thing, right??
aggiepaintrain
AG
quote:
I read the entire story on FB this weekend. The patron asked several people as well as the police officer to reconsider. She offered her ADA card as proof, and no one seemed interested. She clearly stated at this point she wanted an apology for being treated unfairly, and wanted education and training for the staff and management of Martha's Bloomers. She isn't asking for free food, only an apology and a promise that the staff will be trained. The manager was called and held firm on the side of the hostess.

Wow. MB deserves what they get.
rhoswen
AG
But again, why call the news? Or the police? Why not call the next day (or even come back by) and speak to an owner or something and see if it can't be worked out amicably (and privately)?

I saw the Facebook share too and to me it reeks of faux outrage. Why not give them the benefit of the doubt?
Phil Garner
quote:

Young people are not thinkers.
originaltexan
i never thought i would see the day that a blind person was attacked with words...
Carnwellag2
quote:
maybe she couldn't tell she was blind.

sounds like this patron is a jerk
Carnwellag2
quote:
if you read it on facebook - must be true
originaltexan
This could be helpful to businesses

MiMi
S
quote:
maybe she couldn't tell she was blind.
Based on the interview of the patron on KBTX, it was very obvious (to me) that she was blind.

quote:
sounds like this patron is a jerk
Sounds like she wants to raise awareness of the law allowing her guide dog to be with her in the restaurant.
BlueMiles
AG
It sounds like there is a need to raise awareness! Guard dogs, wow.
Tailgate88
AG
Why not let everyone bring their dogs. Problem solved!
TexasAggie_02
AG
(A) I thought this thread was going to be about a DoS attack on a website

(B) I'm tired of "insert outrage here" internet lynch mobs

Since the owner of MB stated that the "health dept doesn't allow dogs," maybe she was ignorant of the ADA laws, and was worried about the health dept regs (which would be superseded by the ADA). I'm sure this will get worked out, but a good 'ol fashioned internet lynching is not the way to go.
rhoswen
AG
If they want to raise awareness why are they encouraging people to boycott Martha's Bloomers and put them out of business? That's not an overreaction?
Pyewacket
AG
The woman recieves subpar service at a dining establishment and posts her experience on a social media platform...and your hating on her? To go cups and charge for water anyone??

The denial of service this woman received was a MISDEMEANOR and punishable by a fine. She should have called the police and the Keystone cops should have known that.

She wasn't denied service because she didn't have shoes on, she was denied service for being handicapped and needing assistance. There are laws in place to prevent this from happening.

Calling the Attorney General about a $.49 debit fee makes you a patriot, but a woman is illegally denied entrance into a dining establishment and hopes to raise awareness and she is a jerk?
Scruffy
AG
But
But

OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's burn this mother down!!!!!!!

We'll rape the horses and ride off on the womyn (spelled to avoid the sexist trigger word spelling ment to oppress and keep men in power) and prune the hedges of many small villages!

Also,
We need MFBarns to start a go fund me.
dachsie
quote:
quote:
(k) Except as provided by Subsection (l), a person is not entitled to make demands or inquiries relating to the qualifications or certifications of a service animal for purposes of admittance to a public facility except to determine the basic type of assistance provided by the service animal to a person with a disability.

Now obviously if the dog were in the normal 'guide dog for the blind' harness this would be a clue. The problem comes in with other types of service animal.. diabetic alert or say for a vet with PTSD...

Uh, she did. They didnt get the clue

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.