where can you buy corian in this town?

2,032 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Hammerheadjim
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I'm making something in my shop and need some corian to make it out of.. (its far more stable than wood for jigs).. trying to see if anyone in this town sells it so i dont have to order it on the internet.

and yes.... already started a thread in Home improvement.
BMo
You can try Centex Countertops. They may not have Corian brand but may have equivalent materials of another brand. I'm wondering with granite being the goto if they will have any laying around these days.

Centex Countertops
EastTexasAg1994
AG
I would check around with the shops that do local Jobs like Faith Floors and More and see if they have some left over material from the installation work that they do. You may be able to save some money. I think the counter tops are cut to certain sizes (blanks) and there may be some pieces left over as odds and ends.

Also, you can go to Lowe's in College Station or Bryan and look for the high pressure laminate counter tops made out of particleboard (laminate on the top side (bottom is raw). They have them in in several different lengths.
dgonzo99
Several places have stopped carrying Corian. It supposedly cracks real easy. Not very heat resistant at all.
BCStalk
What size range are you looking for?
studioone
bout a foot square... maybe 1.5'.

I do lathe work and make bowls, vases, etc... occasionally i make segments and cut em on my current jig and make 1-2 inch pieces, glue em into rings, glue rings together, turn on lathe...

someimtes i make 24 segments, and my jig is wood.. wood moves.. slightly.. and my jig needs repairs or replacing, so i want to make a new one... but if I'm off 1/2 of a degree on one segment x 24 degrees then i'll have a 12 degree gap in my rings... or too much... so precision is everything.. corian will not move..

this is my jig i wanna make... http://www.segeasy.com/wedgiesledplan1.pdf

google segmented woodturning to see what i make...

BCStalk
Try phenolic. It's a way better stable product and cuts like wood. Downside is a 12x12x1.5 is about 60 bucks.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Agreed, phenolic is much better and infinitely more stable. I have a large piece if you want to come by the campus and cut off a smaller piece.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.