Looking for a good property manager or property managing company

3,202 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PrincessButtercup
RGEAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you have any recommendations for the BCS area, please PM me, Thanks.
harrierdoc
AG
We use TM5 to get our rent houses leased. Best money we ever spent. However, we do all the upkeep, manage, etc... And we live locally
medic1969p
Sherri Ginn....979-219-1879. Love her!
MsC2012
AG
Kathy Scott with Real Estate BCS!
wtr1975
AG
Oldham Goodwin or United Realty
Counterpoint
AG
What are the fees like?
MaysAggie2015
Not United
BCStalk
Not Kathy Scott
medic1969p
I 292nd....Not United!
medic1969p
I 2nd....Not United!
Rexter
quote:
Sherri Ginn....979-219-1879. Love her!
MaysAggie2015
Can I third, not United even though I firsted it? Personal experience working there as undergrad....stay away. Maybe 10 years is enough to make a difference, but I wouldn't trust them with an animal I didn't even like.

I like J Mazz gave you a Rec on the other thread. I'd go with his rec. he's been in the business since I was at United. He is a straight shooter.
selk
AG
BCR Contact Ryan Derkowski
MaysAggie2015
Another great choice
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
quote:
What are the fees like?
jmazz
AG
Yeah...I replied on the other forum. I used to self manage but got burned out so earlier this year signed my properties up with a management company.

http://aggielandhouses.com

Been happy with them thus far.

Fees: 6-10% monthly mgmt fee (depends on whether or not you have multiple units or just 1 property)
50% of one month's rent for new leases
25% of one month's rent for renewals

You keep $250/property on deposit with them for small/minor maintenance stuff. Anything over that amount they will contact you, the owner, prior to making repairs. I also pay $15/property every other month for their guy to go in and change air filters (and make sure the place isn't getting destroyed).
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
That's reasonable.

Like you, I'm burned out from dealing with the drama
Counterpoint
AG
In general, how do you feel about investment properties now? Worth the hassle (both with and without a management company)?

jmazz
AG
For me it has been worth it...both when self managed and now with management involved. The rent far exceeds the debt associated with my portfolio and the cash flow pays my 'business' credit card off every month. I'm of the opinion that you need a portfolio though...not just 1 property. I compare it to owning stocks...some will perform better than others and you use the better performing ones to compensate for the others. I've had some dogs (bad tenants, major repairs, etc) and had it not been for owning a handful of property then I could easily have been upside down and digging into my own pocket.
Counterpoint
AG
Thanks. I just have one right now. Got it about a year ago, and so far (knock on wood!) it has been pretty hassle-free. I was thinking about maybe getting into it more, but wasn't sure.
dubi
AG
quote:
That's reasonable.

Like you, I'm burned out from dealing with the drama

The only reason we handle our rent house is that it is next door. Otherwise I'm sure we would get a mgmt company.
quirkyaggie
AG
quote:
Not Kathy Scott
This x1000!!!!!!!!!!

Your tenants will be extremely unhappy and you'll end up doing all the work anyway. She'll take your property but she is too overloaded to take care and be attentive to your tenants. I can elaborate but I won't do it here.

I'd volunteer my services but I'm maxed out on the properties I can handle. At least I know my own limits.
MsC2012
AG
I have had experiences with a lot of companies. I think they all have their pros and cons.

There are thousands of rentals in this town and I've heard horror stories from Renters and owners on every single one.

I would just do your own research and if you get on with someone and hate it you just legally have to give them 30 days to end the agreement.

Just my thoughts.
RGEAgs
Thanks all. We've picked our manager on a 60 day test run. I have noted all your recommendations and really appreciate the input.
Rexter
And the winner is.........?
PrincessButtercup
AG
United is just awful.

I had Kathy Scott on two occasions. Once great and once pretty bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.