Men's Adult Baseball Team - Looking for Players

6,101 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by texasaggie2015
Ginsang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[Copied from baseball forum]

Howdy!

I'm trying to put together a team of 12 or so guys to compete in the 18+ wood bat division of the Houston Hardball League. The tryouts for the summer league are coming up pretty quick, in June. If we have a team put together, we obviously won't need to try out... but games should start pretty quickly after the June tryouts.

I'd like to put a group of local guys together so we can get together once during the week to practice. Right now, I've got 6 guys. We have been getting together once during the week at 6:30, usually a Tuesday or Thursday, and once a week on Sunday at 6:00. Until the monsoon came a couple weeks ago anyways.

The games for this league are usually on Sundays in Tomball if I understand correctly.

As of right now this is what we mostly need:
1 outfielder (LF)
Backup outfielder that can play something else
Pitching, pitching, pitching
A backup catcher
middle infield talent

EDIT:
Here is the website for the league:

http://www.houstonhardballleague.pointstreaksites.com/view/houstonhardball/houston-hardball-league-home-page

The 18+ wood bat division is the most competitive league in the
organization. Though a couple of us are actually old enough to play in
the 30+ league, I really don't want to limit myself to finding a whole
group of 30+ers. It's been hard enough in general...

I realize the timeframe on this is pretty tight. Worst case scenario, we can continue to meet locally and get stuff figured out while we aim to make the next league start up.

The group is a big mix right now. We are a competitive bunch, but a couple of us are getting older. We just can't bring ourselves to play softball!

Please let me know if any of ya'll have any interest!

-J
agtwister_5
AG
I played (play) in the 30+ wood league and am in the process of moving to CS. The league is a blast and I might be interested once I settle into CS. I haven't played this season because of the transition, but this is great news to hear as I was hoping there might be something similar in CS.
gettingitdone
I have a son that has played baseball since he was 4. He just completed is last ever high school season, and decided not to play in college. He is a middle infielder (2nd base) 3 yr Varsity starter, but enjoys SS too.
He has played competively since age 11. I will show him this post and have him contact you if interested.
texasaggie2015
AG
quote:
I have a son that has played baseball since he was 4. He just completed is last ever high school season, and decided not to play in college. He is a middle infielder (2nd base) 3 yr Varsity starter, but enjoys SS too.
He has played competively since age 11. I will show him this post and have him contact you if interested.

We would love to have him! It's gonna be a blast.
Ginsang
AG
quote:
I played (play) in the 30+ wood league and am in the process of moving to CS. The league is a blast and I might be interested once I settle into CS. I haven't played this season because of the transition, but this is great news to hear as I was hoping there might be something similar in CS.

That's outstanding! Please exchange contact info with me by sending me an E-mail at josephlammers@gmail.com.

I'd like to talk with you about the league as well!

Ginsang
AG
quote:

He can take his pick as far as the middle infield. We would love to have him!

Aside from pitching, I'm really trying to find a couple guys with some talent to fill those two positions. Since we have opted for the 18+ division, his youth would be a nice addition to the team as well.

Please take note of my E-mail address in my previous post. If he is interested have him send me an E-mail!
AggieWife2008
S
I wish they would have female baseball leagues! I played baseball competitively throughout my entire youth (always the only girl on the team) because I too couldn't bring myself to play softball LOL.
Ginsang
AG
quote:
I wish they would have female baseball leagues! I played baseball competitively throughout my entire youth (always the only girl on the team) because I too couldn't bring myself to play softball LOL.
LOL, right?! It's just not the same...
Ginsang
AG
Bump, thanks for all interested so far! We've made a lot of progress!

dcrewint
Still looking for OF help? I haven't played in 10 years(about 6 years from SB league). I'm 35 but can still move. I can handle any OF spot, just not sure on my swing speed anymore. If I were the old guy on the team I'll go ahead and exit stage left.

213 Grove
AG
I can't commit to a whole season but there may be a week here and there I can come play if you are in need that week. I was a pitcher and middle infielder in high school. 25 years old
texasaggie2015
AG
We would love to have both of you!
Chris98
AG
Being 30+, and playing in the 18+ league is pretty tough. We had a 30+ team for years. In the 30+ league, we were extremely competitive/ dominated at times. The 30+ league folded and we gave the 18+ wood bat league a try. Needless to say, after one year in 18+, we hung up the spikes
texasaggie2015
AG
If either of you above are interested in playing shoot me an email (taylortravis2011@gmail.com) or Joseph an email (listed in his post above) and we can discuss it more!
Ginsang
AG
We will be getting together Thursday at around 6:30 assuming the weather cooperates.

My contact info is: josephlammers@gmail.com

Let me know if ya'll would like to come out!

-J
dcrewint
What's the cost?
Ginsang
AG
quote:
What's the cost?
$200-$250 for the league fees, depending on how big our roster is. Plus uniform costs, which we're in the process of working out right now.

If we don't have a full team put together for the June league start there will be plenty of time to save up though...

Are you local? Our practices are, of course, free. You're more than welcome to come meet the guys and get an idea of how it will all work!

Thanks for the interest!

We're still hoping to practice tomorrow at 6:30, weather permitting. Anyone interested in coming out please send an E-mail to one of the addresses listed in the 1st post.

-J
dcrewint
Where are practices? I'm interested, but not certain that I'll make it. I believe my wife has piano lessons scheduled during that time and I'd have my 2&4 year old with me.
bradleyk
I played in an 18+ league, in Houston, from 2000 to 2002, while aged 26 to 28. It was difficult then to compete with the 18 -20 yr olds... LOL!! I moved to CS and played in the 28+ league in 2003 and 2004.... I would love to play again, but now at the age of 41, I doubt I can keep up with 18+ any longer.

I still have all my gear, played catcher, so if a backup was needed... and I mean backup (like bullpen ) catcher, I could likely get myself back in semi-playable shape. The only advantage I see to playing, is the Bengay smell at the plate, will surely distract the hitters.
Ginsang
AG
quote:
Where are practices? I'm interested, but not certain that I'll make it. I believe my wife has piano lessons scheduled during that time and I'd have my 2&4 year old with me.

The practices on Sundays are at the senior league fields off of Rock Prairie Rd.

The weekday practices have been a little trickier due to most of the fields being used by local leagues. However, usually during the week we will meet at one of a few spots that are also in the South College Station area.

If you haven't done so yet, please send me an Email, and we can exchange contacts!

-J
Ginsang
AG
quote:
I played in an 18+ league, in Houston, from 2000 to 2002, while aged 26 to 28. It was difficult then to compete with the 18 -20 yr olds... LOL!! I moved to CS and played in the 28+ league in 2003 and 2004.... I would love to play again, but now at the age of 41, I doubt I can keep up with 18+ any longer.

I still have all my gear, played catcher, so if a backup was needed... and I mean backup (like bullpen ) catcher, I could likely get myself back in semi-playable shape. The only advantage I see to playing, is the Bengay smell at the plate, will surely distract the hitters.
Thanks for inquiring!

-J
dcrewint
dcrewint at gmail
Ginsang
AG
quote:
dcrewint at gmail

Email sent!
Ginsang
AG
Wanted to bump this thread...

The group is growing pretty nicely, but there is still room for more!

A new goal of the group at this point is to get 18 or so guys put together, so we can actually have scrimmage games.

We have also pushed back our entry to the Houston Hardball League all the way until next March, which will give us plenty of time to have everything figured out and put together before we start competing, instead of feeling like we're rushing to get everything put together.

If you, or anyone you know may be interested, please let one of us in this thread know!!

-JL
JavierC2005
I'd be interested in being a practice team player. Can't commit to the travel team. You can email me at jcontreras AT cstx DOT gov
nickstro66
AG
I might be interested. I used to be a pitcher when I played but that was awhile ago.
Ginsang
AG
We're getting together at 4:30 today for anyone interested! I sent an email to you jcontreras.
Ginsang
AG
Nickstro,

Send me an E-mail when you get the chance. We're getting pretty close to having a big enough group to where we can start playing games against each other. It'll be a lot of fun!
nickstro66
AG
quote:
Nickstro,

Send me an E-mail when you get the chance. We're getting pretty close to having a big enough group to where we can start playing games against each other. It'll be a lot of fun!

Just sent it!
Ginsang
AG
I've got 16 accounted for, and we're trying to scrimmage tomorrow. We could definitely use a couple more!

If anyone is interested, please email me!
texasaggie2015
AG
Our team is coming along nicely, but there's still room for a few more! I'm bumping this in case anyone missed it the first time.
Picadillo
Room for an old knuckle baller that can't move?
Ginsang
AG
Bump
hot dog
AG
Looking for any specific position?
texasaggie2015
AG
We need pitching and a catcher the most... But any positions are more than welcome. We definitely could use bodies.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.