Bryan Animal Center is FULL!!

1,544 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by momlaw
csnole
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's that time of year again - overflowing with wonderful dogs. 3 are slated to be euthanized today including a purebred looking Rotweiller Female. (She needs someone with experience)

There is an adoption special going on now $5 for any animal includes spay/neuter, microchip and more. If you are ready to commit to a forever pet it is a great deal. If you are not ready to commit but can foster - that would help tremendously.

http://www.facebook.com/helpbryanpets

Pyewacket
AG
I will add-
To those of you that have found/had puppies and kittens and are looking for a place for them to go. Please understand that it is not only the shelters that are full. Rescue groups and fosters are inundated daily with pleas to help. It is breeding season and there are too many animals to take in. They are not heartless or ignoring your pleas. Rescues and shelters have limited resources and have to make difficult decisions. PLEASE spay and neuter your pets, and consider giving to organizations like B/CS spay to help feral animals and those with financial hardships.
momlaw
AG
quote:
If you are not ready to commit but can foster - that would help tremendously.

http://www.facebook.com/helpbryanpets
AG
Where's an inexpensive place for people to get their cats spayed?
Brewmaster
AG
Someone please save the Rotty...not to mention the others. beautiful dogs
Eliminatus
AG
It just tears at me that these wonderful animals have to die. Their crime? Being in a place that doesn't have room for them. I know intellectually that that there is no perfect system in place to take care of all these animals, and there never will be. I have no alternative I can think of to replace the one we do have in place. Emotionally though it is a moral crime to me. For want of space animals lives are snuffed out. I am a HUGE animal lover that already has 3 rescues. I just cant save them all....

Ughhh....this makes me want to go grab a drink already. I hope with everything I have that these three slated for today, have someone who gives them a chance at life.
TalkNerdy2Me
AG
Can any of you more pet-knowledgeable folks explain a little more about fostering an animal from a local shelter? I have always been interested in doing this, but my ignorance about the process, as well as a lack of a fenced yard, has deterred me from seeking more information. My yard problem will be rectified with a move to a house with a fenced yard this summer, so I would like to learn more about opportunities to foster a shelter pet.

Is it possible to request an animal who can be put outside/kenneled indoors during the workday? How does the pet/foster family matching process work?

I have two kids (15 and 11), as well as two guinea pigs and a hermit crab colony already, if that makes any difference in terms of my eligibility to foster. I'm a grad student who's here in B/CS for 3 more years . I don't want to be one of "those people" who ends up needing to re-home once my time in Aggieland is over, so I think fostering would be a great way to help an animal, despite my lack of readiness to make a lifetime commitment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
momlaw
AG
csnole will get to your questions when she gets off duty from out of school runs.
heather3621
AG
I'm currently fostering for the Bryan Animal Center. Basically as a foster, you provide a home for a dog in need, transport them to and from the vet for appts, and bring them to adoption events. The shelter does have bags of food they can give you if need be. I work full time so I've trained my current foster to use the kennel that I have. You may have to spend some time housebreaking the dog also. I got lucky and mine was completely housebroken already. Besides that, it's all just establishing a routine and giving them lots of love. It's pretty rewarding and the shelter is definitely in need if you're able.
heather3621
AG
In regards to the foster pet match up, you can describe what kind of pet would best suit you and your family and the staff will point out a few dogs that would best suit your needs.
momlaw
AG
Fostering not only makes space in the shelter, it offers valuable information and assurances for potential adopters. Being in a home the pet can be presented with both strong points and potential concerns so that the adoption much has a better chance of being successful... temperament, preferences, fears, abilities, need for additional training or caution. Our last three have come from fosters which has added a level of assurance we can meet the dog's needs and it can be happy in our home. Fostering is a lifetime gift to the animals and those willing to take them in.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.