do you think Blue Bell ice cream will recover from this?

6,031 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SPI-FlatsCatter 84
eloc62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess we'll see. just wondering.
eloc62
also wondering about Blue Bell Park at the A&M Baseball Stadium.
halibut sinclair
Yes.
jmazz
AG
http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/05/despite-controversy-blue-bell-name-will-remain-on-texas-ams-baseball-stadium/#20782101=0
hot dog
AG
PS3D
quote:
also wondering about Blue Bell Park at the A&M Baseball Stadium.

Of all the things happening to Blue Bell, losing the naming rights to Olsen Field is what I care least about.
Goose83
AG
quote:
blue bell is way overrated

No kidding. This cult-like devotion we are seeing on display is disturbing to say the least. The fact that people are blindly supporting (and even praying) for a company that knowingly sold unsafe products that killed people is shocking to say the least.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:

You must be a stranger around these parts, podnah.
Mon Dow 2000
AG
Blue Bell has a commitment to pay for the naming rights over 7 years.
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
quote:

No kidding. This cult-like devotion we are seeing on display is disturbing to say the least. The fact that people are blindly supporting (and even praying) for a company that knowingly sold unsafe products that killed people is shocking to say the least.

Read this: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/03/16/listeriosis-not-cause-3-ice-cream-deaths-may-be-factor-kansas-officials-say/
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Thank goodness the experts are here to lay 100 percent of the fault of death at Blue Bell's feet. Ever think there might have been some preexisting condition that exacerbated the problem?
BCStalk
Shhh. Don't ruin the surprise for them.
ComfortAg
AG
And so it begins.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chron.com%2Fnews%2Farticle%2FEx-Texan-who-got-sick-sues-Blue-Bell-alleges-6275656.php&ei=aPZdVYv1CpOkyQSSmYDYDw&usg=AFQjCNE4Kb0wFUJlBo8jpqk_R-rxtfPssg&bvm=bv.93756505,d.aWw
Sprite09
AG
For me, it's one thing for listeria to pop up in a plant and the plant clean up after it. But it's a whole other problem when listeria has been known about for years yet nothing was done. That's where I'm having problems trusting blue bell. Yes they are training everyone and doing a massive thorough clean up. But still....I guess only time will tell if I change my mind and trust them again.
george07
AG
quote:
Read this: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/03/16/listeriosis-not-cause-3-ice-cream-deaths-may-be-factor-kansas-officials-say/
So if I shoot someone, and they don't die, I didn't do anything wrong, right? With all these reports about Blue Bell knowing that there were potential listeria contamination issues at their factories as long ago as 2013, or maybe even 2009 and doing absolutely nothing about it, how can anyone defend them?
Yuccadoo
Thankfully, I am on a diet that does not include BB. Probably be 9 months so we'll see how this plays out.

When my daughter was 8 years old or so, she toured the BB facility. She came home with the idea that she was going to finish high school and then work in Brenham making ice cream. She ended up getting a degree from a very prestigious art school and has a job doing computer animation, so I am glad she isn't laid off from this.
Brewmaster
AG
I'd buy blue bell today, tomorrow, any time. Listeria can be in older lunch meat, many of us have eaten it not knowing. Immune compromised individuals are most at risk (and really the only ones).

I just started making my own ice cream though. Can't beat homemade!
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
quote:
So if I shoot someone, and they don't die, I didn't do anything wrong, right?
Because I said exactly that.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Blue Bell has a commitment to pay for the naming rights over 7 years.

Meaningless. I'm pretty sure there's a contract somewhere that shows Enron is still committed to paying for the naming rights at Minute Maid, too. If they file those rights may go away.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
So if I shoot someone, and they don't die, I didn't do anything wrong, right? With all these reports about Blue Bell knowing that there were potential listeria contamination issues at their factories as long ago as 2013, or maybe even 2009 and doing absolutely nothing about it, how can anyone defend them?
Wow
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
This cult-like devotion we are seeing on display is disturbing to say the least
Kind of like Freebirds
Goose83
AG
The hits just keep on coming:

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/FDA-Documents-Show-Early-Problems-at-Blue-Bell-Plants-304648271.html
wasntme
I have a half gallon of BB Homemade Vanilla in the fridge, unopened, just sayin....
originaltexan
Curious,

Why would it take so long to remedy the situation?

Aren't there cash reserves to keep the place going, and keep people employed?
agfan92
AG
When Tylenol was pulled from the market it didn't come back right away. It is currently one of the top-selling pain reliever brands in the world. You can recover if you do it right.

I'd like to think that Blue Bell is taking the time to ensure the problem is completely addressed and the opportunity to address other issues/needs that are best addressed with the plants shut down. This is the time to make changes and corrections that are difficult when running production.

The media is going to be the wild-card in this equation. If they smell blood in the water, it won't matter that every other food plant in the world has listeria. The frenzy to drive a sensational storyline will be more than they can resist.
Dr. Teeth
AG
I am starting to wonder whether the company will survive this. If they do, I think they'll end up scaling back to just the Brenham creamery and ditch the out of state operations.

Aside from the PR stuff, it can't be good for an ice cream company to lose a whole summer of production and sales.
The Anchor
AG
This thread
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I feel like this thread is a ghost town.
Bucketrunner
Lots of media and other alarmists are just salivating, hoping for their failure. I think they come back stronger than before because they produce a product that people want and that has no real competition in the areas they serve.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I was the GM for a company connected to the Colorado cantaloupe listeria case that was just recently settled after 42 months of civil and criminal process.
I came in after the event and managed operations through the week of "closure" after which my wife and I left to restart our own operation

There will be, potentially, a lot of different things going on over the ensuing months and years. In my opinion, we can probably look for the following

1. If the Marler Law group takes on the victims side of this event, it's likely to drag on for years in civil courts. Marler, historically, will not try to bankrupt BB. There's no money and no control in a bankruptcy

2. Colorado went after the cantaloupe growers in criminal court and negotiated a plea. This set the precedent for future events where it's determined that the owners didn't act correctly.

3. All the facts are FAR from being known at this time. The fact that BB may have been totally defensive and not offered a public defense yet means very little at this point.

Read Marlers food safety blog and some of the stuff in the Jensen brothers cantaloupe listeria case. Marler is already blogging on the early BB information..the Jensen case is the "Brown v. Board of Education" of food safety litigation

SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
http://www.marlerblog.com/legal-cases/blue-bell-missed-warning-signs-to-avoid-listeria-contamination-illnesses-recalls-layoffs-and/#.VWHEBYY8KrU
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.