Briarcrest ramp again

4,182 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AggiePirate
beefly95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why is the southbound ramp onto Highway six closed near Briarcrest again? They already redid them once.
O.G.
Supposedly you aren't allowed to ask that question. Construction and "growth" is ongoing and must happen, even if the ramps/exits end up worse than they were before.
K2T2
They swapped the northbound, but not the southbound yet. Pretty sure that's what's going on, just like all of the other exits/entrances they've been working on.
Tim Weaver
And just in case any of our illustrious city planners are reading? The new on/off ramps suck. A lot.

/thread
PS3D
quote:
And just in case any of our illustrious city planners are reading? The new on/off ramps suck. A lot.

/thread

You do know its TxDOT, not the city, right?
rcannaday
AG
Since moving here none of the ramps make sense, some are S curves, some are not, some are super long, some are super short. Even the service roads, its amazing they let you go 50 mph on them, as if its just a small extension of the freeway.
Tim Weaver
quote:
quote:

/thread

You do know its TxDOT, not the city, right?
Nope. I didn't.

Whoever made the decision, it is still dumb as a box of rocks.

I figure this is a "we've got to spend money so we get the same budget next year" move.
PS3D
It's only NB University that sucks, everything else is better overall.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Why is the southbound ramp onto Highway six closed near Briarcrest again? They already redid them once.

Is this on the bypass?
PS3D
quote:

20+ years ago?
MiMi
S
quote:
20+ years ago?
Is the OP referring to the SB Hwy6 entrance between Boonville and Briarcrest? This one was just redone last year. Or the Hwy 6 entrance south of Briarcrest? Which could be 20+ years old.
InMyOpinion
I think the new ramps are better. i don't understand why people don't like them.
Tailgate88
AG
Another fan of the new ramps here. It prevents exiting traffic from backing up on the bypass.
fcag
AG
Love the new ramp configurations. When the current southbound ramps are done between Briarcrest and University, we will be able to get to Harvey without having to stop at the light at University.
KidDoc
AG
That SB Briarcrest merge ramp was awful. Very short and too sharp a curve. It made for traffic that was merging on to the highway that was only going 50-55 instead of the 75 MPH plus no merge lane at all.

It needed work, but it is a royal PITA in that area right now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
halibut sinclair
The new ramp configurations put too much traffic on the feeder road and are a cluster where traffic merges, especially at the exits.
ZweiackerHolmes
It seemed to me that the idea was to get more traffic onto the feeder roads. I suppose it does get them used more. But oh boy does it seem to be taking especially long for the Booneville ramp to be finished. Does anyone have an idea of when that exit is to be completed? Not seeing anything online besides this. I can think of a better use for 9 million dollars.
fcag
AG
quote:
It seemed to me that the idea was to get more traffic onto the feeder roads. I suppose it does get them used more. But oh boy does it seem to be taking especially long for the Booneville ramp to be finished. Does anyone have an idea of when that exit is to be completed? Not seeing anything online besides this. I can think of a better use for 9 million dollars.

It was supposed to open up several weeks ago, but the heavy rains we have had keep delaying it.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Heavy-Rainfall-Causes-Construction-Delays-on-Roadways-and-Homes-303542851.html
beefly95
I was referring to the highway (bypass) entrance south of Briarcrest. I thought they already made new ramps on both sides. My bad.
ZweiackerHolmes
quote:
quote:

It was supposed to open up several weeks ago, but the heavy rains we have had keep delaying it.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Heavy-Rainfall-Causes-Construction-Delays-on-Roadways-and-Homes-303542851.html
Thx that was exactly what I was looking for. I say bring the rain, that is more important than convenience.
InMyOpinion
quote:
The new ramp configurations put too much traffic on the feeder road and are a cluster where traffic merges, especially at the exits.

I would rather have that cluster where traffic merges on the feeder instead of on the hwy like before.
SARATOGA
New ramps are MASSIVE improvement !

Gets traffic and slowdowns OFF the highway, so highway motorists have a chance of maintaining speed.

If you now find the frontage roads dangerous, ride a bus, or stay home.
ratfacemcdougal
Biggest problem is the northbound entrance before University and the northbound exit to Briarcrest. (Some of the traffic will be eliminated when Boonville finally opens). There are large numbers of people coming from Sams, the theatre and Harvey that will get on the bypass just to jump the University light, and get back off for briarcrest/boonville. When you are going to exit in a couple of hundred yards, you are not likely to hit the bypass at 75 and maintain that speed to your next exit. I have also seen a large number of people exiting from the LEFT lane for Briarcrest. This will continue to be a log jam since there is currently no commercial business between University and Target / Discount Tire.
ComfortAg
AG
Some of the new ramps are better, some suck. The southbound on-ramp between Booneville and Briarcrest is great, the southbound off-ramp between University and Harvey is a nightmare. It looks like the new southbound off-ramp between Briarcrest and University will merge between the Baptist church and Lithia Dodge, and the new on-ramp will probably merge before Carter Creek, but it's hard to tell at this point.
ratfacemcdougal
"...southbound off-ramp between University and Harvey is a nightmare."

Yea, no worries there. In about 5 years University will get widened or a u-turn will be added back to Harvey and they did not allow enough room for either case.
runnrboy
AG
Ramps are open - http://www.kagstv.com/News/KAGSNews/ID/9078/North-Earl-Rudder-Frwy-entranceexit-ramps-open.
AggiePirate
AG
Its like this forum has power!
PS3D
quote:
quote:
20+ years ago?
Is the OP referring to the SB Hwy6 entrance between Boonville and Briarcrest? This one was just redone last year. Or the Hwy 6 entrance south of Briarcrest? Which could be 20+ years old.

It was partially a joke, the ramps were rebuilt in the early 1990s to what they're replacing today (the old NB University exit ramp is still partially visible, and the original Briarcrest ramp to NB Highway 6 was between the stoplight and the entrance to Stripes, for reference).
halibut sinclair
BOONVILLE.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
BOONVILLE.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.