summer camp fees skyrocketing?

3,134 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by JYDog90
w8liftr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it just me or does it seem like every kids' summer camp is over $100? For only a total of 6-10 hours of camp time?
Rexter
You put a price on your child's happiness?
Carnwellag2
city of college station has camps for $35 per week.
The Anchor
AG
quote:

You do too. It just may be a higher price than the OP.
transplanted txn
I remember going to camp for a full week for just over $100. Included room, board, horseback riding, swimming, hiking, crafts, etc. Uh oh...just dated myself.
TXCityGirl
The "best" camps are closer to $200 a week this summer...some around $250. It's a lot. A lot for 2 kids.
Average Joe
AG
I remember my FCA camps in middle school and high school being around $130-140. That was in the late '90s.
Rexter
quote:
quote:

You do too. It just may be a higher price than the OP.

I was funnin. My kid goes to Kids Klub in the summer.
AgDotCom
quote:
My opinion is give them a stick, a back yard full of dirt, and let them be kids. If they're older, they'll find other things to do.

My youngest is about to graduate high school. We did all the "paid activities". The happiest I ever saw them was when they could hang out under the street light on summer nights with their friends.
MiMi
S
quote:
My opinion is give them a stick, a back yard full of dirt, and let them be kids.
Agreed, if you stay at home or have in-home childcare. Many parents work full-time and need to find summer activities for their children.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
My opinion is give them a stick, a back yard full of dirt, and let them be kids. Iaw them was when they could hang out under the street light on summer nights with their friends.

CPS has a rather different view on this.
Tailgate88
AG
Please elaborate on why CPS has a problem with kids playing in their backyard. Or is this your troll of the day?
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Please elaborate on why CPS has a problem with kids playing in their backyard. Or is this your troll of the day?
Mine or yours? And I meant to type CBS. I saw a special on kids playing in back yards about how in America today it is much more dangerous to let kids run around than in years of yorn. But I do appreciate your confrontational attitude.

Edit:

*Although I do imagine if you only kept them in the yard with a stick and some dirt CPS may have something to say about that, although it is very economical.
jrhmc
AG
I'm pretty sure that the costs have stayed steady for at least the last 10 years. When I worked and did full day camps, my cost was $250/week or $1000/month for 2 kids. When we just do a few camps that are in whatever stuff the kids are interested in, it averages $100/week and that's been steady since about 2008. Mine do just hang out in the house, backyard, or pool most of the summer but summer day camps can be a great way to spend some focused time on an interest that we don't always have time for in the school year. Most sleep away camps are all over the board with pricing. The main one we're doing this year is $1000 for a week but I've seen them for as low as $275 for a week. Depends on what you're looking for.
Pyewacket
AG
I agree with OP. The camps we go to have increased 10 to 50 dollars a week. I think they figured out that most parents work and use the camps for daycare. There is a need in this town for childcare and the camps are starting to charge prices comparable to a week of daycare.
transplanted txn
Surely there is a happy medium - maybe one camp that's reasonably priced, and the rest of the summer to be bored enough that makes them WANT to get back to school!
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
quote:
Mine or yours? And I meant to type CBS. I saw a special on kids playing in back yards about how in America today it is much more dangerous to let kids run around than in years of yorn. But I do appreciate your confrontational attitude.

Edit:

*Although I do imagine if you only kept them in the yard with a stick and some dirt CPS may have something to say about that, although it is very economical.

OK, that's one funny typo!
UmustBKidding
Brazos Robotics still has space open in some FREE camps.
http://botclub.brazosrobotics.org/botclub-summer-camp/
They also have pay camps for more in depth and longer sessions.
JYDog90
AG
quote:
My name is Tripper Harrison and I'll be comin' at ya' every morning about this time to make sure your camp experience is the best available...in this price range.

--Bill Murray in Meatballs
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.