Your move, President Young?

3,777 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by southcsag
Tradishun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not sure how many of y'all saw this article in Te Eagle this morning:

http://www.theeagle.com/news/a_m/incoming-university-of-texas-president-declines-m-salary/article_e12a07ba-f99d-11e4-a331-37eb53805715.html

Obviously, Young is under no obligation to make a similar move. But do you think it would be a smart gesture for him to do so?
BusAg
AG
If he (while maintaining the unique traits that make TAMU what it is) can help to raise our national ranking, increase number of faculty, help to increase state funding towards institutions of higher education, more for us of course, aid the Colleges and Departments with increasing not just the quantity but the quality of TAMU graduates and any other course of action that is in the best interest of the faculty, staff, students and administrators of the TAMU system.....then I say money well spent.
Carnwellag2
he would be foolish to do that and am glad we have a smarter president
TEXAS A and M
I just want him to tell ptts to stop raising their rates.
AggieJason
AG
parking lots and garages aren't free, bro.
happyinBCS
I thought the above poster was banned for 30 days Staff please make it happen
FlyRod
If we were going through another round of cuts, pay freezes, no raises etc for faculty and staff, then the optics of such a salary could look bad. Hopefully that's not the case.
jimmyb
Looks like he squeaked in under the wire for that one Happy

quote:

AggieJason 2:39p, 5/17/15

H
AG

[Thirty days. Your attitude and posting style on this board has become tiresome to both the users and the moderators. -Staff]
I am surmising the 2:39 timestamp was his original post not when they edited the content (as at least two posters made comments in response to his and the time stamps were >2:47. )
happyinBCS
Thanks, Jimmyb
Tradishun
The issue makes the (Opinion pages of) The New York Times, with a reference to Young;

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/opinion/frank-bruni-platinum-pay-in-ivory-towers.html

FlyRod's excellent point (above) seems to be captured therein. Perhaps Frank Bruni reads Fly's posts on TexAgs?
techno-ag
AG
If we want top talent at A&M, we're going to have to pay for it. It's unrealistic to expect to bring in a top hire after a nationwide search then hope he forsakes the salary we offered.
lost my dog
The real question is how much more A&M had to pay to get a new president because it took so long to get real applicants, because of the way Loftin "resigned".
FlyRod
quote:
If we want top talent at A&M, we're going to have to pay for it. It's unrealistic to expect to bring in a top hire after a nationwide search then hope he forsakes the salary we offered.

Hopefully this attitude translates to staff and faculty as well.
1 edit
Tradishun
quote:
quote:

Hopefully this attitude translates to staff and faculty as well.
1 edit

FlyRod wins the Internet today. Game. Set. Match.

How's that Blue Diamond looking on you, Fly? Pretty good, I'd have to say.
AgCPA
AG
I read an article about this gentlemen a while back. It gave me the impression that he cared about all of the individuals working for him, faculty or staff. That seems to fly in the face of the leadership over the past few years. Hopefully this marks a change where TAMU is a place good people want to work. All I have heard the last several years from TAMU folks are how they are planning to get out of there ASAP. You can't be successful without good people in all aspects of a business. With the environment that has existed you don't get the best and brightest, you get those with no other option.
SumAggie
high salaries do not offset the attitude towards people that the top administrators have. Most professionals are quite adept at identifying a dysfunctional organization and ruthless political leaders.... and stay as far away as possible.
biobioprof
quote:
The real question is how much more A&M had to pay to get a new president because it took so long to get real applicants, because of the way Loftin "resigned".
The way Loftin got the job in the first place was probably a bigger problem than how he was pushed out, IMO. There was a lack of serious candidates in the search that ended with Bowtie losing the interim tag.

I'd also note that the new guy at Texas was an internal promotion, as their top candidate for an outside hire went to NYU instead, which makes the forgoing a raise thing a bit different to me.
southcsag
I am just glad that Dr. Loftin got a better deal at Missouri than what he got here at A&M, too bad A&M could not keep such a quality person.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.