motorcycle cop on Harvey

12,136 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by techno-ag
PhiAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Out generating revenue. Be mindful. He's got 4 people in the last 45 min.
DBSwooper
quote:
Out generating revenue. Be mindful. He's got 4 people in the last 45 min.

Slacking. He can do more than that, especially on a high traffic, high violation and high collision roadway like that.
PhiAggie
AG
I think he was trying. Had his arms up the whole time.
BCStalk
Maybe they should post 2 there. Maybe a couple at University and Texas as well.
rc_cat
There was one at Holleman/2818 a couple of hours ago.looked like he was keeping busy.
techno-ag
AG
Part of Harvey near Texas is 35. People go 40 & get a ticket. That speed trap had been in place for decades.
FlyRod
Maybe people shouldn't speed there? Nah. Too easy...
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Maybe people shouldn't speed there? Nah. Too easy...
Exactly. And if we lowered the speed limit all over town, more revenue could be raised through speeding tickets.
FlyRod
I know you're being facetious but I'm totally ok with that, 100%.
PhiAggie
AG
Hence this thread.
Knife_Party
I was out on Saturday early evening. I don't typically drive at high traffic times like that when I can avoid, but holy **** it was insanity and it was all STUDENTS.
FlyRod
How do you know? Did you ask to see their IDs?
PhiAggie
AG
Townie alert!
originaltexan
We should be thanking our cops for protecting us.

51% of the readers will understand this. The other 49% will continue to hate cops, think they are stupid, think they are lazy, etc.

I will paint some very broad pictures that a 5th grader could understand.

There is more than generating revenue to a cop on the street. A routine traffic stop can lead to felony arrests. The driver or passengers could be fugitives. He could be travelling from a crime scene. The list goes on. Point is, wouldn't you rather this motorcycle cop get involved with the perp before the perp finds you?

Do you think a guy in his 20's signs up to be a cop to write tickets? Hardly true, and if you understand anything about textbook criminal justice, there is a reason why cops have patrol areas.

For the pay? The answer is no. These people think they can make a difference. They will take the job even though the pay is nominal. That is why you see some lazy cops working second jobs, maybe working 60 to 70 hours a week.

Turn on FOX or CNN (whatever your flavor) and rewind your DVR to last Monday night in Baltimore.

If you hate cops, cool...but please don't call them the next time you come home and see that your window is smashed and you are scared to enter your house. Don't call them when a mysterious car keeps passing by.

newsjunkie
I'm very happy they have someone there. Numerous times I've been at that intersection and no less than 6 cars come through after their light has turned red. This is not "oops, I was going a tad fast and couldn't stop" or getting through just after it turns red.. this is deliberate and obvious when we have a green light and have to wait for these 6 or more cars to keep coming AFTER OUR LIGHT TURNED GREEN!
And they need ones at Holleman/Texas and Bush/University.
As far as generating income, if these fools didn't run the lights or speed through, there would be no income to generate.
PhiAggie
AG
Quite a bit of added narrative here.

Reread my op. Be mindful = reminder not to speed. Also, I never mentioned any intersection, so I don't know how you can be glad he's at an intersection. He was actually across from the tap, far away from any red light runners. Although Harvey and Texas is TERRIBLE with red light runners turning from Harvey on to Texas. I once counted 5 cars running the light after it turned green.

Texas and George Bush is getting bad for red light runners as well.
originaltexan
I edited my narrative to be more illustrative.
Eliminatus
AG
I wish there were more everywhere. I haven't been pulled over since I've lived here....Ya know since I don't break the laws( even speeding) at all. There might be some correlation there ya know...
DBSwooper
quote:
far away from any red light runners. Although Harvey and Texas is TERRIBLE with red light runners turning from Harvey on to Texas. I once counted 5 cars running the light after it turned green.
The issue for a motor isn't always that a location is a spot with a high violation count, it also has to be a spot that he can safely view correctly (for red light violations that involves more than most people realize). It also has to be a spot that the motor can safely enter the roadway to get to the violator and also needs to be a location that has safe spots "down range" for the violator to safely stop.

Harvey at Texas is difficult spot due to where a motor has to setup and then having to bust the intersection to chase down the violator. Even with lights and a loud siren, the people with the green light do not notice or seem to not care that a motor is trying to bust the intersection to catch a red light violation.

Contrary to what some may think, a motor assignment is hard work and exceptionally dangerous.
BCStalk
I vote pull them all over. Every single one of them. Then write them a ticket for reckless driving, running the red light, and intentionally endangering the public. As for the speeders on Harvey...STOP running 50-60 down a road posted 40. We need more cops.
Tradishun
Haven't we done this thread, oh, eighty times in the last five years?

Are y'all opening those old threads and just cut-and-pasting your old posts here? Because if you're not, you could do that and save yourself tons of keystrokes.
FlyRod
We're going to see more of these threads as the population of townies and students who can't drive increases along with the general population.
shotcaller1
AG
Passed two cops on George Bush turning right from welborn and on the way to campus. Had someone pulled over
originaltexan
Yes, a re-hash like many of the other topics like a late delivery on a pizza.
PhiAggie
AG
Seems most like to remain hidden, which is why they'll pick a bank sign or other obstruction to sit behind.

Where would you sit at that intersection?
PhiAggie
AG
quote:
I vote pull them all over. Every single one of them. Then write them a ticket for reckless driving, running the red light, and intentionally endangering the public. As for the speeders on Harvey...STOP running 50-60 down a road posted 40. We need more cops.
PhiAggie
AG
Sorry, meant this as a PSA for motorists in that area to slow down and be mindful of the public servant.
DBSwooper
quote:
Seems most like to remain hidden, which is why they'll pick a bank sign or other obstruction to sit behind.

Where would you sit at that intersection?

Come summer time it is all about the shade. In the winter it is all about the sun and a wind block. In these towns you can sit in the center turn lane with your emergency lights on and still knock down speeders all day long.

I might sit on the raised median of Texas on the south side of the intersection, or the Exxon parking lot. The problem with the raised median is getting into position, since you have to climb the curb. It isn't hard on a motorcycle, even their Road Kings, but you have to do it slowly, which means you have to do it at a time you won't get run over. Driving off the curb is no big deal. For the Exxon that would be perfect for the right turners from Harvey to Texas and the left turners from Texas to Harvey. The left turners would be harder as the opposing traffic gets the green in the current light cycle, so you'll have to head on traffic with your lights and siren, which can get "sporty."

The JJ's parking lot is a good vantage point, but it requires more ground to cross before getting to the danger (approaching) traffic, which means the likelihood of being hit by a motorist not paying attention is much higher.

Advanced Auto is a good spot in terms of safety for the Texas to Harvey left turners, but you lose the ability to see the traffic signal that would be held in violation. Watch for the light to turn red, then turn to look at the designated stop point, you can't guess at it.

Being a motor is one of the most dangerous jobs an officer can take, numerous motor officers are killed each year due to a simple mistake or more often a motorist who is oblivious to anything on the other side of their windshield.
InMyOpinion
quote:
In these towns you can sit in the center turn lane with your emergency lights on and still knock down speeders all day long.

Just proof how many people are driving around without a clue about their surroundings. This isn't just teenagers and college kids. I see it every single day.
shotcaller1
AG
quote:
quote:
In these towns you can sit in the center turn lane with your emergency lights on and still knock down speeders all day long.

Just proof how many people are driving around without a clue about their surroundings. This isn't just teenagers and college kids. I see it every single day.
Texting and driving. In San Antonio, they banned it, but I haven't been made aware of any positive effects as a result.
gopitt
If you speed I hope you get nailed. I've almost been wiped out 3 times in the last month by crazies going almost double the speed limit. They can go ahead and kill themselves with their recklessness but I prefer that they don't take me with them.
PhiAggie
AG
They banned the use of any device. You can still go hands free right?
shotcaller1
AG
quote:
They banned the use of any device. You can still go hands free right?

Hands free is still okay.
birdman
Just saw six cars blatantly run that light. Message hasn't sunk in yet.
PhiAggie
AG
The sidewalk on the Southside of Harvey would be perfect for a motor cop to get red light runners. Maybe have another unit in the advanced auto parts lot to get more than one at a time.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.