Rehoming a 9 year old Yorkie

2,780 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BlazeHarper
Dr. Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello! We have an adorable male yorkie, silver and tan, named Nigel. He turned 9 on April 13th and has been a wonderful family pet. Two and a half years ago, we welcomed our third child into our family, and at 8 days old he got RSV and was transported to Houston for a month. As a result (or perhaps the cause), he has asthma. He is not old enough to be tested for allergies, but we have noticed that he tends to be allergic to certain environmental stuff in the air---- so when Nigel is outside (he is pretty much an inside dog although loves a yard to chase squirrels in), he brings it in on his fur, and consequently our carpet as well.

He is completely house broken and prefers to sleep in a kennel at night or when you are gone for the day. He has always had working "parents" so a normal 8-9 hour day is no problem. He does not bite, is great with kids, and will not chew up furniture. He does tend to get a hold of little kids' toys if he doesn't have enough of his own--- this has been a great lessen for my older kids to clean up!

He doesn't really bark unless someone is at the door or he wants in or out (he will let you know when he needs to do his business). And he likes to be around family... he will follow us around just to be near us and loves nothing more than petting an attention.

He is up to date on shots, but he does tend to have hayfever in the spring! He gets itchy the way that we would get sneezy, so he may require some steroid help in the springtime. Otherwise, he is a great weight, eats twice a day (we do grain free for him) and will probably live another 9 years!

We are asking $75 to ensure he goes to a good home, that will keep up his shots and grooming (we have him cut short for summer) and will love him and not neglect him. Please only contact us if you are SERIOUSLY interested. He does get along well with other dogs, but we would prefer he not go to a home already full of pets.

We would love to talk to you more about him if you are seriously considering him as a FOREVER pet. He was my first "baby" and I just want to make sure that he will be well taken care of.

972-786-5389 or 214-223-4567
TransplantedRedRaider
Hi Dr. Aggie, it is obvious that you still care for Nigel. I've been worried while thinking of your post ever since I read it this afternoon. It is always difficult it is to place senior dogs, and I know how it is difficult for older dogs to adjust to a new home, new family, new routines, etc. So - I am wondering if there might be another alternative. If there was a way to reduce or eliminate Nigel's time outdoors, he would not bring in the outdoor allergens that you think are the problem. Many Yorkies are trained to "do their business" on potty pads inside the house. If he just went out on leashed walks, on the sidewalk, he'd pick up less pollen. And, if you wipe him down with a damp towel before going inside, you would probably eliminate the pollen. As you might have guessed, I am a Yorkie owner, too. I love all dogs, but I'm partial to Yorkies. They are very special dogs, but they tend to have sensitive dispositions. I worry since you haven't received any offers to take Nigel, and I know there is already another Yorkie currently sitting at the Bryan shelter. I wish you luck and I wish Nigel the best.

PhiAggie
AG
You're wanting to get rid of your dog, and you're asking money for him? A nine year old dog? Am I understanding that correctly?

Or are you offering that much to pay for his shots? I've heard of people paying for shots/trifexis indefinitely after someone has fostered their pet to ensure the pet is cared for. You sound like you care for him so I understand if this is what you're offering.

Have you looked into the no kill shelter in Hearne?
starbuck128
AG
Under normal circumstances a toddler is old enough for allergy testing. An infant can be tested for allergies. If you haven't already I would encourage you to get a second opinion about your son's allergies from another pediatric allergist, and not one of the local allergists. Our local allergists are not up to date with the current recommendations for treating or diagnosing allergies in children. I think it would be easier to treat your son's allergies than to rehome an elderly family member.
MAggie05
For what it's worth, we had both of my sons allergy tested at age 2 with absolutely no problem. Dr. Keith Paull and his staff were great with our kids and were extremely knowledgeable. My older son has food allergies and so must be retested on a semi-regular basis and he thinks it's a fun place to go.
MiMi
S
Instead of rehoming the dog, I would pull up all the carpet.
AggieDarlin
AG
It's been my experience that, most of the time, "child allergy" as a reason to re-home a dog is not truly the reason a new home is sought. I wish people would just say they don't want the dog anymore instead of trying to appeal to sympathy. It's easier to re-home a dog when time isn't wasted trying to help the situation that never had a chance at being salvaged from the beginning. I doubt the OP wants to re-consider, so hopefully this cherished family dog really will find a good home.
TAMU1990
AG
I agree with the carpet - many doctors will suggest for you to get rid of it if possible.
toolshed
AG
Another example of a thread that is no help to the OP and full of assumptions. I read that after much thought on the matter and choosing between their child and a pet they've had many years, they've determined the health of their child is more important than a pet, and reluctantly decided to find a new living home for their pet of many years. I don't see the harm in that. Though I am sure there are those who see the pet as a child and will look down on the OP for making such a decision.

Hopefully this thread will get back on track and be beneficial to the pet owners in finding a new home for their loved pet.
Dr. Aggie
AG
We found a great home for our sweet dog.

Thanks all for the parenting, medical, and home-renovation advice!

(PS-thanks Toolshed)
starbuck128
AG
quote:
Another example of a thread that is no help to the OP and full of assumptions.

I disagree. I think the OP got good advice. I think fixing the root of the problem, the allergies, does more than a bandaid approach of rehoming the dog because it tracks in pollen. The environmental allergies still exist even now that the dog is gone. Nothing has been accomplished here except hopefully the OP now knows a 2.5 year old can be treated for allergies.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Weak.

You had the dog for 9 years, the kid for less than 3, where's the loyalty? You should have found a new home for the kid and kept the dog.

Also, given the dog's age, couldn't you have just toughed it out for another 6 months and let nature run it's course?
Stan Rizzo
AG
Pretending your kid has allergies to justify neglecting your dog. Sad.
BlazeHarper
Our kids had allergies to grass and dogs. I took him to an allergist and he told me "I am glad you did not get rid of the dog". He was treated over the course of year and now can play in the grass and with dogs and not have an allergic reaction. I used Keith Paull as an allergy doctor.

Also google "dogs help kids with allergies"

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.