Need help planning a small golf tournament

1,650 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by ShawnTxAg
ShawnTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been asked to help plan and prepare a small golf tournament at a local course hear in the B/CS during The Juvenile Justice Association of Texas Conference in Mid October. While I occasionally golf, I've never been apart of a tournament, so I have no idea where to start. But I do know if I need an answer or help figuring something out, I go to Texags first and Google second!! Can any of yall give me advice or fill me in on exactly what all I need to plan for. The Tournament needs to take place Sunday October 18th, preferably right after lunch, which we will have sponsored or possibly catered. There will be anywhere from 5-10 teams participating.
Jayjay4268
AG
Have you already selected the location? If not, that is where I would start. Give some of the courses around here a call. Some may already have events booked that day, in which case it would help you narrow it down. Your budget needs to be your next constraint. I feel certain each course around here has hosted/played a part of a tournament. They ought to be able to help you from there.
Jayjay4268
AG
Other random suggestions: get corporate sponsors. include a golf shirt, custom golf balls, a hat or visor, coozie, etc in registration. Have raffle prizes. Include a silent auction with your catered lunch. Sell snacks and drinks throughout the afternoon. Include other golfing competitions for prizes
ShawnTxAg
AG
Thanks jab, I should also mention that since it isn't a large group, obviously I'm not looking at renting out the entire course for the whole day. I will probably look at reserving tee times back to back to facilitate our teams, but your other suggestions are very much appreciated. Oh and we haven't selected a location yet I was literally just asked about this today.
ICKyle64
AG
Recommend that you call Phillips Event Center......they can help schedule your golf tournament and help you with ideas, prizes, food erin and what ever lease you might need. 979-776-0133
TransplantedRedRaider
Hi Shawn--I've been involved in planning a bunch of golf tournaments. I'd be happy to visit with you by phone--too much to type in a post here.

Just a couple quick things---

I second the suggest to contact Phillips Event Center (Briarcrest). I just had an event there, and they are great to work with. And--their course looks great. The rain has really greened things up. And--they've put a ton of money into the club house. And--most importantly, the prices are still reasonable. Nice place all around.

Also--you are working on a pretty short timeline. Even though it is small, there is a lot of work to be done between now and October.

One question--is this event meant to be a fundraiser? Or just a fun golf outing? If it is a fundraiser, you need to know that you'll barely break-even on your golfers. The "income" will be coming from your sponsors.

My email address is mncearley @ yahoo . com I'd be happy to chat about what I've done that worked for me.

ShawnTxAg
AG
Ill email u when I get in the office n the morning, thanks!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.