Funnel cloud sited in South College Station

3,760 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Dirty Mike and the Boys
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone see it?

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Funnel-Cloud-Spotted-in-Brazos-County-301481671.html
mstead12
AG
http://i.imgur.com/ajneeew.jpg?1
AggieBB
AG
I saw it as I was finishing my run this evening. Came in the house to show my girls but is was gone by the time they came outside. Looked to me like it was over by Meadow Creek subdivision west of Wellborn Rd.
Kate Beckett
AG
Current view in south Bryan:

Tailgate88
AG
mtec
I saw it and I was on South College in Bryan. It looked like it was over or past A&M campus. Freaky!
Tailgate88
AG
Where is that pic taken from?
mstead12
AG
TTI Building looking towards the Bush Library. Funnel cloud looked like it was somewhere southwest of town.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'm watching it from my back porch. Some rotation and funnel clouds dropping for about 30 seconds then going back up.

Pretty cool to watch and I don't think anything will come of it but I have my escape plan mapped out just in case.
phatpat21
Kinda freaked me out since my wife and kids were home around this time down here in Wellborn. Glad it was more bark than bite. Only time I've seen a tornado was back in....06-07? In December off longmire when it hit ******ne apts
FlyRod
Gotta love that word filter!
FlyRod
The storm that's producing those isn't moving. Tempted to head down and see what kind of photo opportunities present themselves.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:

God hates the Bush Library!
phatpat21
Brewmaster
AG
Brace yourselves, another line of strong storms passing through in about an hour... a thin line though and may not reach south CS
FlyRod
Something weird about this. When this was going on, Shel on KBTX said there was no tornado warning because the thing never touched the ground.

Yet many times a tornado warning is issued when there are signs of rotation but no actual funnel.

Can't help thinking of the hell to pay if that thing had touched down and no warning had been issued.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
quote:
Something weird about this. When this was going on, Shel on KBTX said there was no tornado warning because the thing never touched the ground.

Yet many times a tornado warning is issued when there are signs of rotation but no actual funnel.

Can't help thinking of the hell to pay if that thing had touched down and no warning had been issued.
It was always my understanding that a warning is issued only if tornado touches down. A Tornado watch is issued when the conditions are present.

I heard this many years ago and I could be wrong but that is what I have always believed.
Rockdoc
AG
Nope, if there is spotter confirmation or radar signature of rotation, a warning is issued. Doesn't have to be on the ground. Wording will be "confirmed", or "radar indicated".
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
This is correct. The vast majority of tornado warnings issued nowadays are 'radar indicated'.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
That makes sense considering the advances in technology.
FlyRod
So why not in this case, with such an obvious funnel? Again, weird.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
Yeah, no idea. It should have been warned.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.