"Bad" part of town

5,825 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
ClassicArnold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let me start by 'inviting' Staff to add their standard 'warning" to this post.
I do NOT mean to start a war of words or bring out the internet toughguys that we'd all like to meet in public somewhere.

A longtime friend of mine has decided to move to B/CS from SW Houston w/her (2) young boys. She has a decent education, but would like to further it at Blinn (aside from a fulltime job).-----just a little background info to ensure you I'm NOT encouraging minimum wage types or refugees to move here.

She asked me to email her the parts of both Bryan & CS that are considered "bad parts of town". I'm NOT asking you to state the obvious places, but to ask yourself what her question means. I've read thousands of posts over the years re: "the bad parts of town", I've even commented b/c I know what I think when I hear that.
My question is most of the people that fight FOR the people in the "bad parts of town", 99% DO NOT LIVE in that part of town for a reason. I'm just curious as to how many people will actually say what they think of when they hear "the bad part of town"?
soso33
A socioeconomically disadvantaged area
DBSwooper
The "good neighborhoods" have bad people. The "bad neighborhoods" have good people. All of them have property crime and issues with illegal activity, yes even the favorite neighborhoods south of town.
O.G.
quote:
The "good neighborhoods" have bad people. The "bad neighborhoods" have good people. All of them have property crime and issues with illegal activity, yes even the favorite neighborhoods south of town.
This. Look up the DPS Sex offender list and check out where they live. They are everywhere. City, country, bad neighborhoods, good neighborhoods etc.

Any area CAN be a great place or a bad place.
ClassicArnold
I better add my opinion now that I think about it.
My point is: it's no big deal for us all to mention the bad parts of town (regardless of what city you're in), when you're warning someone new to the area. But, by warning them, aren't we all being racist? LOL!!
I love that word now b/c it's so overused, it doesn't hold much meaning anymore.
You can be at a social function w/all sorts of people, and even the black folks will say, "Nah, the Southgate area is a bad area, OR, Southwest Pkwy & Holleman are turning into 'not so good areas'".
I wish people receiving that advice would ask "why"? LOL I'd love to hear what people's responses would be.
That's the whole point of my post. If someone asks me why, what should I say?
PS3D
Honestly, I would say it boils down to apartment complexes, which is why Gulfton and Greenspoint are so lousy.
ClassicArnold
Soso33, Sawgunner, & DBS--- you answered my question. Thanks b/c my friend asked me why and I've postponed answering.
redd38
AG
This is not a complete list, but just to get you started...

In College Station:
The "state streets" off Holleman

In Bryan,
There are 'bad" parts spread all over, hard to generalize all of them or list all of them
Anything close to MLK
Most places North West of Finfeather & Carson
Boyett St

Edit: there's really no point to list all these places unless she's going to buy/rent a place without looking at it first. If she visits the place and can't immediately tell if it's a "bad neighborhood" then it's probably ok.
FlyRod
IIRC the CS and Bryan PDs post maps of crime incidents regularly, so you could use those to triangulate where the "bad" areas are.
ClassicArnold
redd38- You're right. I told her to come visit. She has two boys, 11 & 7, and I swear within the first 20 seconds she said "I don't want my boys in the bad parts of town". "Can you email me the areas to avoid"?
I thought, well............. better ask Texags how to answer this. ha!
Reason being is, she & her oldest are white. Her youngest is half-black. She prefers CS schools (someone else gave her that advice), SO after offering to give her a drive-around tour, she asked why I thought certain parts were bad. (Maybe this was a setup?)
That's when it hit me. How do I answer that?
redd38
AG
If I were her (a single mother with two children), I would try to avoid the "student" areas just as much as the "bad" areas. And by "student" areas I mean the places where they are throwing up a ton of those two-story townhouses very close together. Like the area near the corner of George Bush and Wellborn (Grove St, etc)
Mr. Griswold
A good realtor can help with this.
biobioprof
If your friend is moving from SW Houston, I would think the answer is that we don't have any.
jkje
AG
http://spotcrime.com/tx/bryan
Scruffy
AG
quote:
If your friend is moving from SW Houston, I would think the answer is that we don't have any.

This.
halibut sinclair
http://spotcrime.com/tx/collegestation
Frio Cielo
Good or bad, it depends on your definition. Is your yardstick crime? Drug activity? How neighbors take care of their yards and homes?

For example, a couple of sex offenders living at the end of the street would not affect me as I don't have children. If I did, I might be concerned.

An increased level of drug use arrests may not be of concern to some people as most drug arrests are victimless crimes and aren't necessarily a risk to you.

If you area an older person that just wants a quiet setting you may not want to buy a home in an area that is highly populated with party-animal college students? I had a friend who purchased a house next to the "party house" behind North gate and was always complaining about the Friday and Saturday late evening noise.....duh?????

If I was purchasing a home and was anticipating the possibility of selling in the future, I would look at how the neighbors take care of their yards, roofs, siding on the house? Are there vehicles in the lawn or driveway on blocks that appear to have been there for weeks? Is the grass overgrown with weeds that are seeding out? Is there a wealth of debris in the yard? Is the fence old and missing sections and leaning over? All of these items if significant will affect both any potential increase in house value of your house and also lengthen the time it will take to sell it.

Some of the neighborhoods that have homes owned by lower income persons are some of the quietest have some of the most cared for homes in the area.

Each person would have a different yardstick with which to judge neighborhoods.
originaltexan
It is all relative.

11 pm...Park the car, and get out. Walk 1/2 mile and then come back to your car.

How did you feel?

If unable to walk, go park car and roll down the windows. Turn up James Taylor on the radio.

How did you feel?

I know people that think the Tenderloin is a walk in the park.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
I had always heard college station had less crime than Bryan. This just confirms it. Thanks for posting this.
halibut sinclair
quote:
quote:
I had always heard college station had less crime than Bryan. This just confirms it. Thanks for posting this.
We see what we want to see.
RDH80
AG
if budget is no issue , then the type and concentration of crime would be a consideration . i think she needs to consider her budget and the. Find the least crime ridden area within her budget . Is she looking for apartments or single family housing ? Single family is pretty expensive here . I would avoid south side of SW pkwy. Area east of Dartmouth . The "state" streets are being renovated and aren't as bad as they used to be .

SoTheySay
S
Common sense can tell her where to go. If the price is really low on a really cute apartment... Common sense.
tb9665
I would not go down South College. A person needs to look at the zoning of middle schools in Bryan to determine where to live.
Look Out Below
AG
NM
Post removed:
by user
Tim Weaver
There is no bad parts of town compared to where she is coming from. What she REALLY should be interested in, is. CSISD or BISD. That's the major choice to make for a single mom of two boys...
ClassicArnold
Thanks to you all for the input. Funny how 'Slocum on a mobile' said to avoid the "San" streets down Welsh. My friend looked in that area and said "uh, nah, I just came from that mess". LOL
An update: She found a small starter house off Barron Rd & Alexandria.
halibut sinclair
quote:
There is no bad parts of town compared to where she is coming from. What she REALLY should be interested in, is. CSISD or BISD. That's the major choice to make for a single mom of two boys...
Which school district did you attend? And what does this statement mean?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.