Cell phone while driving?

3,496 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Satellite of Love
BCStalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been informed that it is an officers decision in Bryan to issue a ticket not in a school zone for cell phone use while driving. When questioned about it, the lady seemed rude over the phone. Any information on this?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Isn't it always the officer's decision whether to issue citation or not?

Why?
justalocal
I wasn't aware there was an ordinance in Bryan that you can't use a cell phone while driving except in school zones. It isn't state law. Sounds like you aren't talking about school zones.
Clo004
The state law prohibits cell phone use while in an active school zone. Bryan and College Station do not have a city ordinance against cell phone use in other locations.
doubledog
quote:
The state law prohibits cell phone use while in an active school zone. Bryan and College Station do not have a city ordinance against cell phone use in other locations.

But an LEO can issue you a ticket for reckless (distracted) driving.
techno-ag
AG
Use Bluetooth through your stereo system, or speakerphone. Hands-free 4TW.
BCStalk
quote:
quote:

This is what I was figuring. Maybe just wishful thinking.
Scruffy
AG
quote:

That was always the law.why the eff do we need some other law about this?!?!?!?
And since I don't have glorious 36DD boobs and DSL's, I'm leery of allowing officers discretion on writing citations for violations.
thefarcus
I use handsfree and often wonder if that counts as cell use in school zones. Would an officer see me talking to myself and just think I'm a crazy person?
Mr. Griswold
Handsfree is fine.
Tailgate88
AG
I just called CSPD to verify. Hands free is fine, you just can't be holding the phone. So no texting, no talking with it to your ear.
dgonzo99
They can give a ticket for ANYTHING that they consider unsafe. So can TAMU police anywhere in Brazos County.
Mr. Palsgraf
"They can give a ticket for ANYTHING that they consider unsafe. So can TAMU police anywhere in Brazos County."

Really? Anything they consider unsafe? There is so much misinformation on message boards.
welborn
I was informed by my Barney Fife UPD Neighbor that he could cite me for anything just like a TXDPS officer regardless of whether I was on campus or not. He said "My jurisdiction is the State of Texas".

I finished the beer I was having and continued on with my day wondering about that. Always meant to ask him if he was serious, but they couldn't make rent and had to move.
Scruffy
AG
That is true.

Because of the PUF, they have land in all but 3 counties, thus have have jurisdiction in all but 3 counties in Texas.
rhoswen
AG
It's true.
Rexter
We must have had the same neighbor. I had that exact exchange with the guy that lived next to me. He had a bad case of self-importance. UPD jurisdiction should be on System property only...not the whole county where the property is located. When Klein ISD started the ISD pd thing, the chief at that time wouldn't let the officers work off property. Don't know how it is these days.
welborn
Well, I think that's nuts personally.
Satellite of Love
It is state law but signs must be in place inorder for it to be enforced. The price of said signs was $$$$ and many districts decided to not buy the signs. Not sure if they changed the law to not require proper signage.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.