Security solicitor making the rounds in south CS this afternoon

2,587 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by justalocal
KL08AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had a knock on my door about 25 minutes ago. Man selling Guardian Security... His sales pitch was that they had done all the wiring in these houses (Sonoma) and are offering to pay for all monitoring services if we advertise their sign in the yard. I asked for his permit, and he completely ignored the question and continued with his pitch. I got really uncomfortable when he started asking questions like " how many people live here"... "How many cars are usually parked in the drive way"... And asking if all entry points were monitored... I refused to give him any answer, and told him he should leave. He might have been legit, but he made me uncomfortable enough that I called it in to the non-emergency line. Just giving a heads up to others in the area....
petalpusher
If I am not mistaken they need to provide you with proof from the city they have a vendor/solicitors license. If not they are not suppose to be there.
ksp
quote:
If I am not mistaken they need to provide you with proof from the city they have a vendor/solicitors license. If not they are not suppose to be there.
You are not, and most do not get them.
Expert Analysis
AG
quote:
It shall be unlawful for any person to distribute handbills or advertisements, to sell or solicit goodsor funds without carrying the permit on his person or wearing his city issued solicitation badge
while engaged in such sale or solicitation.
TheAlarmGuy
thats funny, cause we wired most of those houses... and people still go with that company and others from out of town or state.
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
InMyOpinion
why even talk to these guys if your not interested. Once I know what they are doing I interupt them tell them I am not interested and shut the door. The alarm guys, the meat guys, the guys selling a bottle of cleaner. Most of them don't even get 5 words out of there mouth.
justalocal
Was he white, about 300 lbs, dark hair? He was by our house in creek meadows. Said the same thing, his company was providing service to the new homes being built. We just moved here, have a lot of people coming by for various things that we called for otherwise I wouldn't have opened the door. I told him we prefer guns to a home monitoring system, he said he did too, did not have a business card cause I asked for one and went on his merry way.
AggieDarlin
AG
Cool. Now he knows you have guns to steal
originaltexan
I need to save my text so I can copy and paste for every time someone posts after that realized that they opened the door to a stranger knocking.

It is amazing how many times people open the door to a stranger. If you are really curious, just shout through the door and ask what the person wants.

If your home is being scouted for a burglary/robbery, the perp will have lots of info to plan his gig.

If the door is open, the perp is on his way. Imagine the unthinkable of a guy gained entry to your house, and then his friend shows up. Imagine hours of ordeal, not only for yourself, but the ones you love.

Robberies can go way beyond possessions. It can lead to assault, rape, kidnap, and murder.

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP OPENING THEIR DOORS TO STRANGERS? I BET THAT EACH OF THESE PEOPLE HAVE A PASSWORD ON THEIR ROUTER TO STOP THE BAD GUYS, YET THE DOORS KEEP GETTING OPENED FOR MEAT GUYS, SECURITY GUYS, MAGAZINE GALS, CLEANING PRODUCTS, ETC.

We had a brutal assault a few weeks ago in College Station that led to death. Everyone knows the story.
justalocal
Nah, I doubt he'd walk into a gunfight when there are much easier unarmed targets out there.

I agree with you originaltexan. I usually call/text my spouse when a delivery or worker shows up. If they give me an uneasy vibe or show up late (buddy's showed up one night after calling and telling me they weren't coming), I will call. I know when we listed our home, we moved valuables out of the pictures or refused to let the realtor take a pic of certain items but we saw many pics of homes on the mls that didn't do that. We also went in homes that did not have valuables hidden, had pictures up, etc. There are other ways to make yourself a target.
TheAlarmGuy
THIS OVER AND OVER THANKS ORIGINAQL TEXAN

I need to save my text so I can copy and paste for every time someone posts after that realized that they opened the door to a stranger knocking.

It is amazing how many times people open the door to a stranger. If you are really curious, just shout through the door and ask what the person wants.

If your home is being scouted for a burglary/robbery, the perp will have lots of info to plan his gig.

If the door is open, the perp is on his way. Imagine the unthinkable of a guy gained entry to your house, and then his friend shows up. Imagine hours of ordeal, not only for yourself, but the ones you love.

Robberies can go way beyond possessions. It can lead to assault, rape, kidnap, and murder.

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP OPENING THEIR DOORS TO STRANGERS? I BET THAT EACH OF THESE PEOPLE HAVE A PASSWORD ON THEIR ROUTER TO STOP THE BAD GUYS, YET THE DOORS KEEP GETTING OPENED FOR MEAT GUYS, SECURITY GUYS, MAGAZINE GALS, CLEANING PRODUCTS, ETC.

We had a brutal assault a few weeks ago in College Station that led to death. Everyone knows the story.

Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
Scruffy
AG
Do what I do:
When someone knocks on the door, shoot 'em.
That'll prevent the risk of them scouting the place to burgle.

(I will admit I live in "the hood" so no one knocks on doors around here, and I have not yet had to do what I say; I sound a bit like my dad with the "do as I say not as I do thing").
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Answer the door for any stranger with a gun in hand pointed away at your "guest". No way anyone f**** with you then.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
Answer the door for any stranger with a gun in hand pointed away at your "guest". No way anyone f**** with you then.
Haha this is exactly what I did when the same guy from guardian security knocked on my door Friday afternoon. Should have seen the look on his face when I racked the slide of my Glock. I told him that and my dogs were all the security I need. He didn't have much to say after that and went on his merry way.
The Original AG 76
AG
You guys should see how many of these types will knock on your door in a new home hood in Houston. I actually had a water softener sales idiot walk up to me and try his pitch while the moving van was still in front of the house.
My favorite was the water guy who told me that " the builder actually sent him cause without the softener the warranties on the water heater would not be honored...." You should have seen his face when I informed him that I WAS THE BUILDER ( a little stretch BUT my wife did work for the builder) , the sheriff was on his way and we intended to press charges..... That clown SPRINTED to his beat up old van and hauled butt. I have used that line several more times on the alarm, water and other scam pukes.
justalocal
quote:
quote:
Haha this is exactly what I did when the same guy from guardian security knocked on my door Friday afternoon. Should have seen the look on his face when I racked the slide of my Glock. I told him that and my dogs were all the security I need. He didn't have much to say after that and went on his merry way.
Now he knows you have dogs and might try steal them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.