Puking Employee

3,667 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Tanya 93
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you saw a waiter at a restaurant outside the back exit puking his guts up, and then go back inside and get back to work (even assuming he cleaned himself up appropriately), would you say something? Even if you weren't dining there when you saw it?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I think if I was planning on eating there, I'd just go somewhere else. If I saw it and wasn't planning on eating there, I'd probably just think "eww, gross".
DFWag84
I would say something, that's messed up.
jh88ag
AG
quote:
If you saw a waiter at a restaurant outside the back exit puking his guts up, and then go back inside and get back to work (even assuming he cleaned himself up appropriately), would you say something? Even if you weren't dining there when you saw it?
I probably wouldn't say anything in either case; but certainly not if I wasn't dining there. Lots of reasons a person could throw up; not really sure what the concern is.
Look Out Below
AG
Other than passing on a virus to you?
ksp
quote:
Other than passing on a virus to you?
Or hangover cooties, you just never know these days.
techno-ag
AG
Do tell which restaurant. Then we can decide if it was worth complaining about.
Look Out Below
AG
I'm sure it probably is hangover cooties but it still doesn't warm the heart to see someone around your food yakking their guts up.
ksp
quote:
I'm sure it probably is hangover cooties but it still doesn't warm the heart to see someone around your food yakking their guts up.
Oh no question, was more tongue in cheek than implying it made a difference.
rhoswen
AG
Does it affect your opinion to know that lots of those places won't let you call in sick without a doctor's note?
ksp
quote:
Does it affect your opinion to know that lots of those places won't let you call in sick without a doctor's note?
The employee, if sick and not allowed to leave can also call the health inspector and the health inspector will generally show up and check on the violation and make the sick party leave. They make it look like a surprise inspection. At least that is how it used to be. Might have changed. Now that I think about, I was told this over 30 years ago as I took a class for this lol.
rhoswen
AG
At least that employee won't get fired. Still had to show up and be around your food to get to that point, though.
ksp
quote:
At least that employee won't get fired. Still had to show up and be around your food to get to that point, though.
Agree, the food industry as whole is nasty behind the scenes, rarely do they do it 100% right
kevmiller
If people knew 100% things that happen in restaurant kitchens.. Most would not ever eat out again.
Especially fast food places.
FlyRod
Having been a busboy, waiter, bartender, and line cook in past lives, you have no idea how right you are!
Frio Cielo
I have done probably more than 1,000 inspections of restaurants, food truck operations, and convenience stores over the years and as mentioned above, you probably would never eat out in at least half of the food establishments if you could be a fly on the wall for a few days.

Just in the short period of time I have been in a commercial kitchen I have witnessed food preparers scratching their skin, brushing back their hair, picking up food accidentally dropped on the floor and just picked up and used while handling the food before and after cooking it.

Having said that, some of the convenience stores are the cleanest there are. There is not a relationship on whether a restaurant is a national chain, franchise or locally owned or what type of food establishment it is on whatever on the care and cleanliness of the operation. It all begins and ends with the care of the management and employees.

The worst case I ever saw was an operation, not in Brazos county, that was a three vehicle Mexican food vendor where three women were preparing dozens of tamales under an open old wooden carport on rough tables with about ten thousand flies flying around and landing on the food before being shooed away for a second.

In addition, there was an overflowing septic system that was leaking onto the ground within about 25 feet of the three ladies preparing the tamales that was an awful smell that drew in the flies.

I never have, but after that, I sure would never eat food from one of the portable food trucks.

FlyRod
Actually, our local "roach coaches" overall get better scores from the Health Dept. than a lot of better known restaurants. Have seen a surprisingly high number of "100s."
Tanya 93
quote:
I would feel bad for someone that needs the money so desperately they stay.
But yeah, I tend to be a bleeding heart.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.