Grill / BBQ Pit purchase in B/CS

7,811 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by the pit man
Brewmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farm patch has some really nice looking pits - thick heavy gauge steel. Any opinions on these or other places I should check?

Not looking for a huge pit, just something I can buy locally that will last for a while. Mostly I'll use charcoal, but a firebox for some occasional smoking would be nice. Just want something nicer than the thin as a soda can pits that you see outside grocery stores that are junk. I'd also considered an ugly drum smoker, but I'd have to find a nice looking one to keep the wife happy.

techno-ag
AG
I think you can buy the pits Farm Patch has directly from the manufacturer if you want. Here's a recent thread on grills from the OB.

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2618458/
GSS
The Char-Griller "Akorn" is a poor-man's Egg, that has yielded some outstanding BBQ for us. I'm a veteran Q-cooker, and the Akorn does an outstanding job of holding the desired temp for hours at a time (it's an insulated unit, porcelain interior surfaces). Lump charcoal preferred, but briquettes will work. Fairly short learning curve on hitting the target temp (over-shoot the temp, and it takes a while to come down).

Available at all the big box stores.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i'm actually about to pull the trigger on a grill myself today. i'm eyeing the Broil King 5 Burner Gas Grill at Lowes.
ksp
quote:
The Char-Griller "Akorn" is a poor-man's Egg, that has yielded some outstanding BBQ for us. I'm a veteran Q-cooker, and the Akorn does an outstanding job of holding the desired temp for hours at a time (it's an insulated unit, porcelain interior surfaces). Lump charcoal preferred, but briquettes will work. Fairly short learning curve on hitting the target temp (over-shoot the temp, and it takes a while to come down).

Available at all the big box stores.
Love my akorn, works great.
armymom
Can't go wrong with Old Smokey!
Bunk Moreland
if you're on a budget, and you want a smoker, this seems to be one of the best bang for your buck smokers out there right now.

Old Country BBQ Pit Pecos Smoker

The metal is heavy duty, and pretty damn thick. Definitely not a real thin low budget grill metal. It's not quite as thick as Lyfe Tyme(that you saw at Farm Patch), but you're also not paying those prices for it either. Great space inside, nice big firebox.

Easy to maintain temperature, it stays hot, and it's a great smoker for the price. I was really surprised at the thickness of the metal for the price when I stumbled across it in Academy.

If you find them in Academy and there are multiple of the same ones, check the welding on each unit to make sure and pick the best one, as it varies a bit.
Bigfoot In Aggieland
AG
I bought a smoker at the Farm Patch in Bryan in 1997. I love that pit.
Brewmaster
AG
thanks for all the replies guys... I'll post back once I end up with one. Lots of good options.
Brewmaster
AG
time for an update,

found someone local that welds up new smokers and is dang good at it. The prices were hard to beat also... so I wanted a vertical smoker with racks that pull out. So I came up with a design and he added some cool touches like the shells on the handles. Also the rails at the bottom mimic WW2 guns (like in a B17). She still needs 1 more coat of high temp black, but then she's getting a coat of olive drab. Also planning on getting a bbq guru so I can keep temps in check easier (controls air flow in). This sucker holds heat real well though.

She can smoke 2 pork butts at a time on the top rack, I could probably do 4 at a time with the water pan mounted to the bottom of the 2nd pull out rack. All 3 racks pull out, but the bottom is more for burgers if I had a small fire and wanted to do that. I've done 4 butts on it and I'm about to do 2 more! Love it.

ChampsAg
Nice
double b
AG
Are they selling more? How long does it take to make one?
Brewmaster
AG
He can certainly make you one... Mine was around $400 (which is a steal compared to similarly sized 1/4" thick steel pits). Everything you see on it is custom, so if you want 2 racks instead of 3, a taller smoker, a baffle in between the fire and the racks - he can do all of that. 1 month was about the time from start to completion...he builds these on the side from his regular job.

Andy Wilcox
Custom Affordable Welding

979 - 45zero - 25 eleven

Eliminatus
AG
Want!
w8liftr
Brewmaster
AG
call Andy... he'll customize it too. It was super reasonable. I can't wait to paint it olive drab and get some more pics up. I'll probably post it on the outdoors board too.
Tailgate88
AG
Bookmarked
techno-ag
plowboy1065
the pit man
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I build custom pits. Anything you need, I can build.
plowboy1065
S
Got any pics you can send of work you've done?
the pit man
http://texasimageworks.zenfolio.com/f515621692

These are just some examples, I can do about anything you'd like.
Bunk Moreland
do you advertise your price on here? What would you charge for basically the "Patio smoker" in your pictures?
fanof3.88
HEB
the pit man
You can contact me at 979-255-3722, price depends on exactly what you want. I can give you references from people on this board about the quality of my work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.