Food truck court in BCS?

5,144 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Jinx
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyRod
According to KBTX, the CSCC is debating where to put one.

Curious where folks think might be a good place for such a thing...
GiveEmHellBill
AG
As if this place needs more traffic congestion: the parking lot in front of the former Linens N Things behind Newk's would be okay. Or better yet, the old empty shopping center across from Golden Corral and the Hilton. Or even the old Albertsons right next door.
UmustBKidding
Veterans park is the obvious solution
ChampsAg
I think that it's a great idea!
AggiePhil
AG
I think the food truck craze peaked back around 2012. I was all about it till Madden's sold their truck. Been downhill since.
eloc62
Veterans park would be good, or even the old parking lot where university and south college meet. the old Albertson's lot, next to Hurricane Harry's.
techno-ag
AG
Post Oak Mall parking lot.
LOYAL AG
AG
Nowhere paved. Trees for shade and a grassy area. Think picnic tables, not asphalt. Doing it in a parking lot will guarantee failure.
techno-ag
AG
With all this rain, do we really want a bunch of heavy trucks off the pavement? Besides, I think College Station has a rule against parking off the pavement.

No, it needs to be somewhere that doesn't disrupt traffic. A good parking lot somewhere should do the trick.
carpe vinum
AG
ksp
expand at new republic brewery . beer at the scene, make perfect sense.
Cancelled
AG
I've seen this post before - not sure if it was you or not. I'm not in the food truck business and not a food truck hipster. I'm just wondering why you think this.
double b
AG
Isn't a part of the nostalgia with food trucks is they are parked in various locations and you have to follow them on Twitter? Seems like the city is trying to regulate another business and make a profit.
ksp
quote:
Isn't a part of the nostalgia with food trucks is they are parked in various locations and you have to follow them on Twitter? Seems like the city is trying to regulate another business and make a profit.
Austin has several successful congregations of food trucks . Rainey street and barton spring roads. There are few that run wild, but most sit in one place. Austin has been V. successful at this.
FlyRod
As has Portland. When I was in Arlington VA they had a cluster around a lot of office buildings.

One problem with our existing ones is you never know where they will be until basically when they are there.
CDub06
AG
Cities with a more established food truck scene have set parks for them. Some still roam, but the appeal of a food truck park is having multiple options of things that might not be sustainable at a brick & mortar restaurant.
ksp
quote:
Cities with a more established food truck scene have set parks for them. Some still roam, but the appeal of a food truck park is having multiple options of things that might not be sustainable at a brick & mortar restaurant.
Agree, I do not want to chase trucks. I quit eating Chef Tais mainly because they were always at a spot not good for me when I craved them.

Rainey street and Barton springs areas rock, so many choices. Especially Rainey street after a night of binge drinking.
samsal75
AG
Food truck operators should be contracted to run the concessions at Kyle Field! Much better quality and choices at lower prices!!!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
this should be privately done and the trucks need to be on pavement adjacent to grass, picnic tables, benches, and maybe even playground/basketball courts or something.

in cities like DC and NYC they have areas where the same food trucks come just about every day and you can rely on certain trucks to be there. so i think the following of the food trucks might be fading a bit.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
With all this rain, do we really want a bunch of heavy trucks off the pavement? Besides, I think College Station has a rule against parking off the pavement.

No, it needs to be somewhere that doesn't disrupt traffic. A good parking lot somewhere should do the trick.

Never in a million years would I go to a parking lot to eat outside but if that's what they think will work then so be it. This is much closer to what I'm picturing:

Barton Springs

It doesn't have tables in the trees but it is off pavement eating. This is a picnic feel, not an outdoor spot at the mall.
techno-ag
AG
Maybe the trucks could park near Wolf Pen Creek and let the diners use those picnic tables.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Maybe the trucks could park near Wolf Pen Creek and let the diners use those picnic tables.
Now that's a pretty good idea. In fact it's a really good one. It would provide a better concessions opportunity for events held there, too.
jja79
AG
Is food truck food better than other food? Like street tacos are better than indoor tacos.
ksp
the turf and surf at barton springs is awesome but pricey
ukbb2003
The best place would be a park-like setting for kids to play. Also a place where you could have live music on Friday-Saturday would be cool. In Boerne/Leon Springs they have something like this and it was pretty fun.
BlueMiles
AG
Downtown Bryan?
redd38
AG
The perfect solution would be to allow alcohol on the northgate promenade and have the food trucks line up in the pickup/drop-off lane.
techno-ag
AG
Just read in the paper where they're talking about leasing space behind the IHOP at Northgate.

Hope nobody gets towed, haha.
JYDog90
AG
quote:
Is food truck food better than other food? Like street tacos are better than indoor tacos.

The great thing about food trucks is that since they don't have the real estate overhead you get to pay a whole lot more for your food than you normally would.
originaltexan
Somewhere close to a porta potty so cooks stay fresh.
ro828
Summer before last we were in San Marcos and there were two spots set up for food trucks close to downtown and business was thriving at both of them. Post Oak Mall should be thrilled to have them in their parking lot, since every time you go in there there are fewer and fewer places open in their food court.
Mr. Griswold
CrazyAgE
quote:
Food truck operators should be contracted to run the concessions at Kyle Field! Much better quality and choices at lower prices!!!

Well, if this happened I seriously doubt that prices would stay the same. Just like the other vendors out there, something thy would cost $6 if you went into the restaurant, ends up being $10 out there. For example, how much are pepperoni rolls from DOuble Daves at the store? 2 for $3 maybe? But at the stadiums, they are around 2 for $6 or $7? No thanks
mittens
"Derek Barre, owner of Lew's BBQ food truck, has already discussed renting the parking lot behind the IHOP at the corner of College Main and University Drive with the owner."

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/college-station-city-council-mulls-possibility-of-designating-area-for/article_57e695c3-1152-54ac-9d22-ae81efd10951.html
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.