Hernia doc in B/CS?

3,856 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brewmaster
Brewmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have what I believe is an umbilical hernia. Anyone know a good local doc they recommend to do the work? I assume I don't need to see a general prac.

We just got done moving and I did some yard work (both had heavy lifting)...I think that did it in. It's not poking out, but definitely something there now.

I've researched other posts, mostly health and fitness forum that say 2 to 3 weeks back to normal (but not heavy lifting). Any advice is welcome.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
are you a guy? Dr. Ralph Young is pretty awesome in Bryan.
Brewmaster
AG
yep I'm a dude. I lift weights, ride a road bike, generally stay in good shape, but apparently not hernia proof!

thanks for the info...I'll keep him as a backup. I just got a recommendation for Dr. Bryan Parrent - as long as he takes my insurance.
CWIsom
Dr. Mason at Physicians Centre... Did 2 hernia surgeries for me
littlehawk
Dr. Parrent is a wonderful surgeon and I think you would be very happy with him. He is in with Dr. Mason, just an fyi.
UmustBKidding
Typically you will have a far earlier appointment if you get a referral from a GP. Also not a great idea to put off having it looked at until you can get a surgeon to give you an appointment. Almost every Dr is going to want imaging done to confirm its not strangulated or incarcerated before scheduling surgery. Typically these conditions are painful but at times they become painful once complications set it. If you are seen in the ER you will have a CT and surgeon appointment typically within 24 hours or will be taken for emergency surgery.
Don't wait for TexAgs responses, go to your Dr today and confirm its not complicated and is reducible. If you don't have one go to DocInBox or the ER.
The Young brothers are great urologists and surgeons but most of this type of procedures are done by general surgeons

rsa
AG
Dr. Dirk Boysen with S&W took care of my inguinal hernia several years ago. Very good doc.
Rapier108
+1 for Dr. Bryan Parrent. Had surgery with him twice (one was a hernia, one was something else) and would again if the need ever arises.

As for the hernia, if its a inguinal hernia, likely nothing you could have done to prevent it. The majority are congenital, but no big deal with proper treatment, just a major inconvenience.

And as already mentioned, go see your GP first and they'll get it into whichever surgeon much more quickly.
barsa
AG
Dr. Mason. He has moved to St. Joseph Physician Building.
vaaggie86
AG
any general surgeon can fix a hernia, that one is the easiest to recover from in my opinion unless you need the net woven in, I have had 3 and that one was a pice of cake.
Knife_Party
Thanks for this thread. I'll be needing one as well. Seeing GP on Thursday. I put off getting to an allergist for a couple years with zero relief from any allergy medicines and have had some really bad frequent coughs. Apparently that can increase risk for umbilical hernias....
Brewmaster
AG
best of luck Knife Party, mine is umbilical as well... I have a Friday appointment with Dr. Parrent. I moved some stone and concrete in the past week - I'm sure that's what did it. Guess I'm getting old! (and not any smarter), first hernia for me.

Knife_Party
Thanks. I'll be curious to hear how long until you can head back to work. May need to correct this sooner rather than later.
drred4
Bohne!!
UmustBKidding
Depends on your job. Sitting at desk within 24 hours. Hauling rocks plan a week or more
Brewmaster
AG
I sit at a desk for work and play in the dirt for fun (on the weekends)
Knife_Party
For anyone that's had these, did your abdomen feel sore from being clenched all the time? Since I went to the GP Thursday and she messed with it it feels like I cant relax my stomach and it's getting fatigued. Thoughts?
Brewmaster
AG
I had my appointment this morning. Mine hurt for a minute after the resident poked it. It went away after that. Mine isn't poking out from the belly button, but it is still there. I have surgery scheduled for May 6th with Dr. Parrent. He said once it's done it won't happen again - a polypropylene mesh goes in to keep it contained.

I'd recommend surgery sooner rather than later if it is hurting regularly. If there is discoloration, ER visit may be the way to go instead of waiting!
summergal
If any general surgeon can repair. My vote is for Dr. Alford hands down!
Temple Ag
While you were there, did you ask him if he could do your sex change, Charlie Murphy?
Brewmaster
AG
where's your Ag Tag darkness? lose it?
Temple Ag
I know. I guess neither of my degrees count. Rick James gives that 2 thumbs down.
Pale Rider
AG
Bump!

Deciding between Dr Mason and Dr Parrent... sounds like I'm in good hands either way?

Had this hernia for a few years, saw the small bulge, but no pain so I just kept an eye on it.

Last week I must have made it worse lifting, starting really bothering me and hurting. Saw GP this week, said it's indeed a hernia, but I might be able to just treat it with rest and ibuprofen and hold of on getting it fixed,

However, I don't think he isn't considering about how active I am for being in my 30s.. run/lift/etc at least 5 times a week. Been nursing it this week with ibuprofen and it's not really feeling much better, so figure I might as well make the consult instead of putting it off.
Broncos
Parrent is the man.

/EOT
Pale Rider
AG
Thanks, appointment made!
Muzzleblast
Dr. Parrent X whatever.

Good doc and good guy.
Brewmaster
AG
2 Thumbs up for Parrent.

He fixed my hernia in a simple surgery and was great to deal with. He's one of the best surgeons in the area.
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
However, I don't think he isn't considering about how active I am for being in my 30s.. run/lift/etc at least 5 times a week. Been nursing it this week with ibuprofen and it's not really feeling much better, so figure I might as well make the consult instead of putting it off.

and I'm in my 30's and very active as well and Parrent said that was a very good reason to fix it now. Coupled with the fact that the way they fix it, it will never happen again. There's mesh behind my belly button now...no chance of hernias there for the rest of my life!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.