Need the Suddenlink customer service agent that is on these boards PLEASE

7,392 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AggiePirate
Aggiefan#1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did a search and couldn't fine her info. Can anyone forward me her info.

I have security cameras I am trying to set up for remote access and I can't find an open port.

Thanks,

Brent
BCStalk
We use 80-80 and 9000-9000
UmustBKidding
She is useless and has not been around for awhile. This is from their network operations info page
net_practices@suddenlink.com
I seriously doubt they are blocking much incoming. I don't have them but have friends that use inbound for stuff like remote desktop (TCP 3389 default) and others. Are you sure that you have inbound nat setup correctly if you have a router. That or you device will have to live on a DMZ net if it will support that. I know they don't want you to setup web, game or other servers but blocking everything is not a workable strategy.

What is your router and its configuration? What IP cameras? Streaming or snapshots?
username at consp iracy D0t net
BCStalk
Also be sure you can setup either a static ip or a dedicated ip
AgResearch
AG
@SuddenlinkHelp
Aggiefan#1
AG
Every single port I check on canyouseeme.org comes up as timed out. I am using a Linksys Router EA6500. I have never had trouble finding ports because the devices have always UPNP to find the ports but this one doesn't have it. I literally have to find the port.
BCStalk
Use setting 80-80/9000-9000/both and on your device port 18004. I use suddenlink and these settings seemed to work. Might work for you might not
UmustBKidding
If your camera device does not create the nat traversal mapping using upnp you will have to do by hand in the router or everything will appear closed.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Every single port I check on canyouseeme.org comes up as timed out. I am using a Linksys Router EA6500. I have never had trouble finding ports because the devices have always UPNP to find the ports but this one doesn't have it. I literally have to find the port.
Definitely not a Suddenlink issue.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/EA6500/PS4.htm

Any random high port should work. Don't use common ports like 80, 25, or 443. Suddenlink typically has those blocked for inbound traffic.
biobioprof
quote:
Also be sure you can setup either a static ip or a dedicated ip
This. I may be off base on this, and you might want to cross post on the nerdery but my limited understanding is:

- within your local network, your router can set up DHCP or static IPs in the 10.x,x.x or 192.x.x.x ranges so your devices can share your connection to the outside world and see each other via UPnP.
- for remote access, those addresses are not valid so you need to know the IP address your router is getting from Suddenlink, which changes if you are not paying for a static IP or using a service that fakes a static IP for you. Then you can port forward.

Or are you not getting past the step of getting them to work on the local network?
AgProgrammer
AG
The static IP is probably not necessary. I've had the same IP with Suddenlink for over a year and a half now...even after an extended outage. I would say that it changing is going to happen very rarely.

Most IP camera interfaces suggest using port 8080. That's what I use for my cameras and it's definitely not blocked by Suddenlink.

Are you setting up IP cameras that are being run to a computer or a coax system that's running to a DVR? You'll need to open port 8080 on your router's firewall but then also tell your router where in your local network traffic to 8080 needs to go. Remember, you have one connection coming into your house but then a ton of devices in the inside. That's usually called Port Forwarding on most routers. Whatever your camera host's IP is (computer, DVR), you'll want to direct all traffic from 8080 to your internet IP (ex: 192.168.1.105).

You probably also need to specify what port you are going to use on the camera host software also. Once you get all those devices lined up, that's when you will see that port show as "available" on some port scanner.
BCStalk
Yes, but your router needs to assign a dedicated IP to your cameras. Otherwise it could switch the port forwarding assigned IP from your cameras to like a laptop or something when the router is reset during a power outage. Most routers will allow you to do so pretty easily. Unfortunately all routers are different so it's hard to give detailed instructions.
AgProgrammer
AG
The cameras will need to have a static internal IP address assigned but that is usually done on the camera itself...not the router.

This is all assuming that these are IP cameras and not some coax DVR system.
UmustBKidding
You can set the cameras to a static address (typically an rfc1918 one on your LAN segment) but I find it easier to leave them set to DHCP and assign a DHCP reservation for their MAC address if you router support this. This will make it much easier if you decide to take your cameras elsewhere that has different addressing needs or you forget the address.

Two support topics to setup for remote access cameras
Port Forwarding
http://www.linksys.com/ro/support-article?articleNum=138535
DHCP Reservations
http://www.linksys.com/ro/support-article?articleNum=135673

AggiePirate
AG
momtaxi
^^^ was this really necessary? It was determined a few posts back that this wasn't a suddenlink issue.
AggiePirate
AG
I figure it was about as useful as your post.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.