Bed bugs: treatment and cost? Note but a friend.

1,212 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Scruffy
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Friend of mine is starting to freak out because they found they have bed bugs.

Isn't there a texags sponsor that is pest control?
What is the normal treatment, and cost?
What options do they have?

Any advice is appreciated.
They are unsure if they got them while in a hotel in town before employment, while working at TAMU and sitting on shared furniture, or at a possible coffee shop or other place of group "chilling".
AggieJason
AG
Burn down the house and get a new one.

But on a serious note, it's probably not worth keeping the mattress. How will they *really* know all the eggs and larvae are gone? Simple answer - they won't.

While your friend is at it, have them get their carpet professionally shampooed.
CrazyAgE
From what I have heard, treatment is pretty much between $1,000-$2,000. I know ABC Pest does BB treatments. I had some tenants a few years ago that had to get it done. I think they had to throw A LOT of stuff out. I'm thinking they got them from studying abroad and brought the darn things back with them.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
Burn down the house and get a new one.

I "jokingly" mentioned that.

It's more of a "what can be saved and how much will this cost?" Thing.
What should be done until treatment?
Etc.
BCStalk
Nothing. They heat the room or house to a very high temperature for a given time. If it's in a house it's easier, apartment not so much because they usually ask for neighbors to not be home. We thought we had them once and were told it would be 500-1000 to treat it. Luckily we were wrong.
UmustBKidding
Not sure that anyone locally does heat treatment. Launder all fabrics, heat kills them. Clean items can just be heated in the dryer. In the summer you can place clothes in dark trash bags and set out in the sun for a few days. Think treatment will be north of $1000 on almost any size maybe as high as $1500. They will also have you bag all mattresses and box springs. That likely will be several hundred more.
GTXM
http://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2322908
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
The pest control sponsor here!
With bed bugs it all depends on the situation. Heat treatments can be great however they get very expensive and are no 100% guarantee like anything else first go around. Bed bugs can hide anywhere including places the heat can't get too, like insulation inside walls.

Anyways depends on the situation, but we'll be happy to come take a look and see what we can do. In most cases we can solve your problem pretty quick for less than $1000. A lot of places will over bid themselves on bed bugs on purpose.

Fell free to give us a call at 979.314.7783
Thanks
Ecozapp
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
The pest control sponsor here!
With bed bugs it all depends on the situation. Heat treatments can be great however they get very expensive and are no 100% guarantee like anything else first go around. Bed bugs can hide anywhere including places the heat can't get too, like insulation inside walls.

Anyways depends on the situation, but we'll be happy to come take a look and see what we can do. In most cases we can solve your problem pretty quick for less than $1000. A lot of places will over bid themselves on bed bugs on purpose.

Fell free to give us a call at 979.314.7783
Thanks
Ecozapp
Scruffy
AG
Thanks.
I'll let them know.
jasonw
ABC can heat the entire house to around 150 degrees. We guarantee 100% of our work. Chemical treatments are hit and miss and you have to throw away a bunch of the furniture...not with heat, you leave the furniture and clothing and bedding inside during the heat treatment....it takes a day to do it, but at the end of the day, the problem is resolved. Chemical treatments take a couple of weeks and multiple applications. The cost of the heat treatment is sometimes cheaper than the chemical treatment and furniture replacement.

Jason
O.G.
+1 for Eco Zapp. Good dudes.
Scruffy
AG
Thanks Jason, I'll pass along that info. I know Reslife on campus would "cook the rooms" to kill them; and it would be effective with the one treatment.
But depending on the room/building, they would also have to do adjoining places to prevent spread.

My friend is worried about the cost of all this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.