Sharp, in letter, asks all A&M VPs to resign "with open-ended date"

25,187 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
AgResearch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's the "hit list":

http://employees.tamu.edu/media/1199983/SVSPbyCollegesUnits.pdf
Rex Racer
AG
It's not a hit list. You have to have worked for the University for 25 years to even be eligible for it, and it's completely voluntary.
Frio Cielo
For a person with 25 years service giving them six months salary is basically giving them a year's worth of retirement income. With TRS you get 2.25% of your best five years for every year of employment. That would be for a 25 year person, they would get 56% of their best five year average.

AT least that was the way it was a few years ago.

AgResearch
AG
quote:
It's not a hit list. You have to have worked for the University for 25 years to even be eligible for it, and it's completely voluntary.
Then why publish the list to the public domain? Shouldn't this be communicated to those in a personal method?
FNG
quote:
This has been a program in place for several years now. Its about retirement, not termination.

I know a few folks participating in it and are quite happy with the terms. Nothing to see here.

I think you meant to be logged in to your other account when you posted this.
FlyRod
Not really, no.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Shouldn't this be communicated to those in a personal method?
It was
SumAggie
too bad they weren't that generous with the people they screwed outsourcing....
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
quote:
Then why publish the list to the public domain? Shouldn't this be communicated to those in a personal method?
1. Anyone who is eligible received an email before the general email went out.
2. I'm not aware of any list of eligible individuals being published. But if Texas Tribune wants it, they can get it because these are State employees.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Like who?
Scruffy
AG
quote:
quote:
Like who?

Like the people with more than the (was it 1.5 or 2.5) years before retirement?
I don't know.
The people who put up with really low pay and no raises; even when COL went up so they were bringing home less money than the previous year.

That said...
This sounds like a good idea to try and get rid of the bloat that infest TAMU with people who have been here but either refuse to retire, or are just short of the ability but really aren't needed; they just can't fire them.

I don't see a problem.
FlyRod
Why can't they just fire them? Even faculty have to go through a "post-tenure review" which I've been told is about to be drastically "toughened" this coming year (complaints from Regents about not enough faculty being fired).

So if they can be fired, why not the administrators?

And like you, I don't see a problem.
AgCPA
AG
I wouldn't think they want to lose faculty, someones got to teach the gazillion students in town now...
FlyRod
They're called adjuncts and lecturers, and they are much cheaper.
SumAggie
surely you are not that disconnected.....?
Frio Cielo
quote:
quote:
quote:
Like who?

I don't know.
The people who put up with really low pay and no raises; even when COL went up so they were bringing home less money than the previous year.

That said...
This sounds like a good idea to try and get rid of the bloat that infest TAMU with people who have been here but either refuse to retire, or are just short of the ability but really aren't needed; they just can't fire them.

I don't see a problem.

Just a change in career.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
we just dropped behind Baylor on the US News and World Report List btw.

SumAggie
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Like who?

I don't know.

That said...

I don't see a problem.

Just a change in career.

a "change in career" does not involve getting screwed out of a third or more of your retirement - especially when you are 55, 60 or older. I hope it never happens to you. Or maybe I do?
FlyRod
In the last two years, 3 members of my family all in their late 50s lost their jobs. They are busily upgrading their skills and doing whatever it takes to get back into the workforce. Like it or not, this is the world we live in now, and its not going to change any time soon. Older workers need to be flexible in a way they never have had to before. It is what it is.
SumAggie
quote:
In the last two years, 3 members of my family all in their late 50s lost their jobs. They are busily upgrading their skills and doing whatever it takes to get back into the workforce. Like it or not, this is the world we live in now, and its not going to change any time soon. Older workers need to be flexible in a way they never have had to before. It is what it is.
"upgrading their skills"....? What a sad comment. An MBA with 30 years experience doesn't need to "upgrade" their skills to flip burgers.
Scruffy
AG
quote:

Then TAMU needs to allow staff to get the ORB(or whatever the 403.b retirement plan they allow high up to get) and opt out of TRS.
FlyRod
That I agree with completely.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.