Sharp, in letter, asks all A&M VPs to resign "with open-ended date"

25,178 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FlyRod
eye3guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp has asked all vice presidents at the system's flagship campus to submit letters of resignation prior to the arrival of the school's new president. In a letter dated Thursday, Sharp said the incoming president, Michael Young, needs "latitude" to create his own leadership team. The vice presidents are directed to submit letters of resignation "with an open-ended date" and a request to be reassigned to the faculty or other available staff duties. Young will have until May 1, 2016 one year after his start date to decide whether to accept the resignations, according to the letter.
eye3guy
AG
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/04/16/sharp-requests-resignations-all-m-vice-presidents/
FightingAggie
rhoswen
AG
What in all holy hell
redd38
AG
Consider this an open letter to Sharp asking him to resign.
Frio Cielo
This is expected when you put a politician that is an attention seeking maggot into the Chancellor's job. Sharpe is the administrator of the system and should have no more involved in the decision-making activity in the management of Texas A&M University as he has with the other 15 or more agencies in the system.

nickstro66
AG
Can Sharp also be included in the resignation letter? It would do us all a favor.
Mathguy64
AG
And if they don't? i realize Texas is a Right To Work state and you can fire someone for pretty much nothing but man the lawsuits that would be generated for firing people with exemplary performance evaluations would keep local HR lawyers in business for years.
carpe vinum
AG
How has that crazy old fart not been run out on a rail by now?
halibut sinclair
Trust.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
that seriously begs the question.....WTF?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
What an idiot. Can't stand his constant meddling. He's done enough damage. Time for him to go.
PrincessButtercup
AG
quote:
What in all holy hell
This. I have no words. This guy is absolutely insane. Kind of glad he did something like this though so those who weren't convinced before might finally have their epiphany.
armymom
SOP
Tanya 93
I am so glad we left.
NellCote71
Really? No one thinks upper administration is bloated with a lot of unnecessary, overpaid positions? Really?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
quote:
Really? No one thinks upper administration is bloated with a lot of unnecessary, overpaid positions? Really?

Thinking leadership positions are bloated is an entirely different conversation than asking all the leadership team to tender open ended resignations.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Sharp isn't getting rid of the positions. He says he's doing this to allow the incoming president to evaluate the VPs/special advisors and ask them to leave if the working relationship is poor.

Why couldn't the new president do this without Sharp grandstanding and making a big announcement? This could have easily been handled as business as usual, but Sharp wanted the media attention. I suspect that is what some on here disagree with.
NellCote71
quote:
quote:
Sharp isn't getting rid of the positions. He says he's doing this to allow the incoming president to evaluate the VPs/special advisors and ask them to leave if the working relationship is poor.

Why couldn't the new president do this without Sharp grandstanding and making a big announcement? This could have easily been handled as business as usual, but Sharp wanted the media attention. I suspect that is what some on here disagree with.
Makes sense. I stand corrected.
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Picking and culling your management team is a guaranteed fact. That is Sharp self appointing himself potentate. What a dewsh.
Jimmy Valentine
Since there was no press release, only the actual letter, it seems as though there wasn't a big announcement. It is more likely that the letter was sent to the press by one of the people that received it.

It makes sense for Sharp to be the bad guy and initiate this, so that Young doesn't have to. This is pretty standard for a regime change isn't it?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
No. It's not standard at all.
StringerBell
AG
A changing of the guard is standard but normally the new president initiates the process of both sides feeling each other out. If it doesn't work then the vp just moves on.

Preemptively asking for letters of resignation is unprecedented.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Since there was no press release, only the actual letter, it seems as though there wasn't a big announcement. It is more likely that the letter was sent to the press by one of the people that received it.

It makes sense for Sharp to be the bad guy and initiate this, so that Young doesn't have to. This is pretty standard for a regime change isn't it?
Or Sharp/his staff leaked it to the media themselves "off the record".

Can you imagine the storm if one of the staff who received the letter leaked it? I suspect there would be a witch hunt.

It's to be expected that a new president will pick his staff. You just don't expect the chancellor to meddle as much with the flagship school as Sharp does with A&M. I can't imagine him sending a similar letter if Tarleton, WTAMU, or any of the state agencies in the system had a new president/CEO incoming. In fact, he didn't when A&M Texarkana hired a new President in 2013.
Scruffy
AG
Is anyone surprised?

This just further shows Sharp is running things, not the president.

Young is clearly a puppet-head; explaining why he is now one of the highest paid presidents in the nation, and why it took 2 years to get someone.
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
Is anyone surprised?

This just further shows Sharp is running things, not the president.

Young is clearly a puppet-head; explaining why he is now one of the highest paid presidents in the nation, and why it took 2 years to get someone.
For that salary I can do puppet shows, karaoke, things that could get me bananated...
kraut
AG
quote:
Next he'll appoint himself Poet Laureate.
Uh, that position needs to remain vacant....
FlyRod
Not seeing the downside to this.
Kendall Rogers
AG
The main downside to this is that the employees have more than a year to hang in limbo until the new Pres decides on who to keep and who to can. I already know of one VP who has been here more than 15 years and is moving out and going to a school in the DFW area.

Sharpe should stay out of all Texas A&M University (and all the schools and agencies in the system) HR concerns except for the hiring of the Pres and let the new Pres make his own decisions over the next calendar year on whether any particular employee needs to be released or reassigned. That is a main function of his job.

Sharpe obviously has a problem with delegating authority. Hire a competent person, give the tools and training to succeed, give the authority to act, and then leave him/her alone.
kraut
AG
WTAW Interview with Sharp

I heard this part on the radio this morning and just about drove into the ditch:

quote:
We want him to be able to evaluate and choose, without a whole, you know, bunch of rules and problems, his team.

Trust.
Rex Racer
AG
If I was the new President, I would immediately tear up the letters of resignation and tell my team that if I want their letter of resignation, I will ask for it.

In a way, this statement by Sharp castrates the new President by somehow implying that he doesn't have the authority or the fortitude to do that on his own.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

quote:
We want him to be able to evaluate and choose, without a whole, you know, bunch of rules and problems, his team.

It's a ***** when those pesky rules get in the way, isn't it Mr. Chancellor? The BOR and Governor's Office recently had some turnover and since you work for them, don't you think you should follow your own guidance and give them your letter of resignation? That way they can chose, without a whole, you know, bunch of rules and problems, their team.
mil393
Something being overlooked--Is it possible that this was designed to allow removal of a high-ranking female without legal liability? Just asking! If so, it might be a wise move.
Scruffy
AG
quote:
Something being overlooked--Is it possible that this was designed to allow removal of a high-ranking female without legal liability? Just asking! If so, it might be a wise move.

Que?
You talking about Watson?
I thought Sharp liked the idea of 25k more students paying fees and tuition.
biobioprof
I have plenty of areas where I disagree with Sharp, but I don't get the outrage here. Back when I was a new asst prof, one of my mentors talked about how this kind of letter s something he would give his superior whenever he took a new admin position. I assume scope is for the VP position, not their faculty line. To me the only interesting things here is the implication that there isn't already a file cabinet full of these.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.