Hog Trapping!!!

3,781 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by O.G.
CWIsom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know if anyone local can come trap hogs on my coworkers property. They have been tearing up his yard. He said 10-15
ksp
Inside City limits? Game camera up to know what time they are coming?
CWIsom
No off of Elmo Weedon
ksp
I can blast them away for him if he can't find a trap/trapper. Just need to set up a game camera (which I have) to see when they are coming. They will be coming about the same time every night, give or take 30 minutes.

If the owner does not want guns fired, I have a crossbow that can be used. Guns will push them away faster, but two or three night with a crossbow will push them away due to pressure as well.

I have hunted for 30 years, know and practice all safety routines. If he needs help let me know.

My daughters VB season is over in two weekends so will have some time if they want some help.

they can keep the meat or donate to a local charity or let it lay and rot.

I'll even clean them if they do not know how to clean them but want to do something with the meat!
ksp
Has he seen 10-15 or is this a guesstimate?
redd38
AG
I thought this thread was going to be about Northgate at 2am
ooshwa
Staff
AG
I see double that every few days at our place (on the river). We trap 'em, we shoot 'em... but there's always more!
BCStalk
Unfortunately now that it is a sport you will see less trappers and devoted pest control enthusiasts. We once did it as a living but now many land owners want to charge instead of pay. I am personally never going to pay someone to get rid of their pests. Not saying it definitely makes a difference but it's got to effect the population some.
O.G.
I can also help. I own a trap but a lot of hogs won't go into one at first. It can be hit and miss. KSP is correct, they need to be shot into. I also have a gamecam and have hunted for 30+ years and am also willing to take some of the meat or let them lay, which ever works.

KSP, contact me at hossfly308 at hotmail dot com it you want some help.
Tailgate88
AG
Sausage!
NativeTxn
ksp
quote:
I can also help. I own a trap but a lot of hogs won't go into one at first. It can be hit and miss. KSP is correct, they need to be shot into. I also have a gamecam and have hunted for 30+ years and am also willing to take some of the meat or let them lay, which ever works.

If havinthings wants the help SG, we can tag team them!!
O.G.
quote:
quote:

If havinthings wants the help SG, we can tag team them!!

I'm in. Let me know.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
Unfortunately now that it is a sport you will see less trappers and devoted pest control enthusiasts. We once did it as a living but now many land owners want to charge instead of pay. I am personally never going to pay someone to get rid of their pests. Not saying it definitely makes a difference but it's got to effect the population some.

Without a helicopter and an AR-15 you are not going to effect the population by shooting a few here and there. They reproduce faster than you can shoot them from the ground.
ksp
quote:
quote:

Without a helicopter and an AR-15 you are not going to effect the population by shooting a few here and there. They reproduce faster than you can shoot them from the ground.
No one is talking effectively lowering the population, we just want to be neighborly and share the hogs with our neighbor.
BCStalk
quote:
quote:

We were clearing out atleast 100 a week at 6 people. Again not saying it helped but you never know. The navasota was by far the worst area we delt with. I remember seeing heards of 20 or more every day we were out.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

No one is talking effectively lowering the population, we just want to be neighborly and share the hogs with our neighbor.
Yes they were. Read the post I quoted.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

We were clearing out atleast 100 a week at 6 people. Again not saying it helped but you never know. The navasota was by far the worst area we delt with. I remember seeing heards of 20 or more every day we were out.
Oh yeah I imagine you see a ton down there. Probably had fun shooting them too!
AggieJason
AG
So that Youtube video... what do you do with the hogs once they're caught in a trap like that? Shoot them from atop a ladder? Leave them to die of starvation? I can't imagine they're easy to shoot at between the slats in the trap.
BCStalk
quote:
So that Youtube video... what do you do with the hogs once they're caught in a trap like that? Shoot them from atop a ladder? Leave them to die of starvation? I can't imagine they're easy to shoot at between the slats in the trap.

We gathered them into one cage on a trailer. Live payed more, but we didn't trap much and the guy who we used to sell to is no longer here.
ksp
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes they were. Read the post I quoted.

I see where his guess is it might have an effect on their population, but didn't take his post as he is out to get hogs and their population down. That is an impossible task. All you can do is run them off your place for a while. They will ALWAYS return.
ksp
quote:
You can kill them for the meat, kill them and let them rot , or there is buyers all over the states who package it and sell as wild boar meat (very popular in Europe ) . The live buying stuff is over seen by the FDA
O.G.
quote:
quote:

I must respectfully disagree that you "need" a helicopter and an AR15. That is an effective tool, but it's not the only way. Close to a populated area it's probably not an option. If they get shot into enough, and they will, they will leave the area. They aren't going to stick around and keep coming back to get shot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.