BCS to IAH on a Weekday Morning @ Rush Hour

4,567 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by carpe vinum
ZachTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this has been gone over before, with many liking the 6 -> 290 -> 8 route to IAH most of the time.

I have a flight leaving IAH at 8:50 am on a Thursday morning which would put me hitting Houston at a pretty lousy time.

If anyone has done it lately at this time of day, is the above still the best of all evils, or would something else be better?

Thanks,

ZTGA
Tailgate88
AG
Download the Waze App. The day before at 5:00am punch in IAH and see what it says. Then check again at 5:15 etc. Best guess is about 1:50 at that time. You'll hit traffic a few exits before the tollway but after that you're good. Waze will take you to Hardy toll road and then the IAH access road. No doubt best route from here, just allow a little extra time. Waze is nearly always spot on.
Tanya 93
Spend the night in Houston.
You never know when a major wreck happens on 290 and you miss the flight.
originaltexan
290 is routinely shut down once you get to the 99 tollway.

105 can be super dangerous.

Give yourself 3.5 hours of DRIVE time to IAH. Get there early, then grab a bite inside the airport.

mgreen
Do it once a month. Two hour drive time at that time typically.
InMyOpinion
My estimate is about 2 hours and I try to play it safe so I would plan on being on the road between 5:15-5:30.
ZachTheGoodAg
AG
Mgreen: Which route do you usually take? ZTGA

techno-ag
AG
Spend the night. Leave your car at the hotel and use the hotel shuttle.

Or, catch the 4:30 Groundshuttle from the Easterwood parking lot.

https://www.groundshuttle.com/RouteSchedule/CSToHouston
betadawg1
AG
Leave at 5:30 and take 105 & 45. Should arrive at 7:10. I have driven to IAH 3-4 times a week for the last 6 years. At this time of the morning this has been the best route for the last month or two. Stop at the shell station at the corner of 6 & 105 and get yourself a breakfast taco for the ride.
dachsie
I always go 105 and there is relatively little traffic leaving around 5-5:30 until you get to Lake Conroe and that is very manageable. I am usually sitting at my gate in 2 hours from when I left my house.
alpepp
AG
I drive 6->290->8 daily during morning and evening rush hour. The construction is causing a lot of unexpected and random delays. I would definitely leave between 5:00 and 5:30 a.m. if you plan to use this route.
carpe vinum
AG
Park at Easterwood and fly to IAH. Worth every penny.
doubledog
quote:
quote:
I always go 105 and there is relatively little traffic leaving around 5-5:30 until you get to Lake Conroe and that is very manageable. I am usually sitting at my gate in 2 hours from when I left my house.

Bring a pocket full of quarters or get a txtag. Two toll booths on 8 between 45 and IAH.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Spend night at hotel near airport. They will typically keep your car free of charge up to a week. That free of charge evens out the cost of hotel stay.

I take that 6 to 290 way often and you just never know what you'll run into as far as traffic. Dont risk it.
dachsie
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bring a pocket full of quarters or get a txtag. Two toll booths on 8 between 45 and IAH.

Love my EZTag. Had it for years
OBannonsPub
AG
We just made this trek this morning. Flight was at 7:59am, we left at 4:50am. Walked up to gate just as they began bording
dave99ag
AG
That early in the morning 105 isn't too bad. Hop on 336 to avoid going through Conroe to 45. Then get on the Hardy. 290 is such a crap shoot these days. Granted 45 @ 242 is also in the evenings, but usually open after 5am.
iloveAP
AG
quote:

I soooooo disagree.
CrazyAgE
I make the trek to Houston using one of those routes just about everyday. If you go the route of 290, the traffic will begin its daily pileup at 1960, right about 6:50-7:00am. Then that eventually comes to a standstill.

If you go 105, I think that way is the more predictable at that hour. No real traffic. I would even take the FM Rd right after leaving Montgomery (the # escapes me at the moment). Take a right. It's the first light you come to as you are leaving Montgomery. That will take you around to Loop 336 so you don't have to worry about running into anything as you go across the lake in Conroe. Once at 336, that will take you straight to 45. Shoot up 45 to the Beltway. The couple of toll booths are no biggee. Just get a $10 roll of quarters that way you have plenty for your return trip home.
iloveAP
AG
dave99ag
AG
I've always taken 105 - 336. I might have to test out 2854 this evening.
dachsie
I always take 2854 when its daylight, but havent done so in the dark -am not sure why. I guess I am thinking that if I had trouble at least there would be more places to stop if I went thru Lake Conroe to 336.
NellCote71
I love GroundShuttle. Never had a problem. They will also pick you up at your house. I live in south CS, so am always the last to be picked up and the first to be dropped off.
carpe vinum
AG
Love the idea, the execution however was problematic. Left without us twice and we then scrambled to drive ourselves with zero notice. Have the car gassed up if you hire ground shuttle.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
This. I live less than 10 miles from IAH and last time we flew we did this (granted we were also dropping the kids off at my parents' house in Bryan). Security is much faster and you don't have to go through one of the see you nekkid machines.

echo3alpha
I used to own a transportation service, and we had transportation contracts with all the airlines that have operated at Easterwood over the last seven years. They would call us to transport passengers to IAH if their planes ever had mechanical problems. Over the years, we have taken about every way to IAH a car can take, and the best route for us was HWY 6 to 290 to Beltway 8 to Hardy Toll Road North. From Easterwood to IAH would take us exactly 1 hour 45 minutes. However, we had EZ Pass on all our cars and vans, so that saved us a ton of time. You will likely have to wait in long toll lines if you don't have EZ Pass, but your drive will be a ton longer if you take 105 at that time of the morning.
justalocal
I drove that way weekly for 15 months in 2013-14, 290 starts backing up at hwy 6 around 7am. The beltway usually gets backed up at the 249 exit (took me 45 min just to get from 290 past that exit once). If you leave bcs at 5:00am you can breeze thru 6-290-8 in about 1h30min the majority of the time. When it's light out I take 105-336-1314-45 and that was about 1h45 min. Traffic on that route is fairly predictable.
Post removed:
by user
GoodOleBryanBoy
Stay in Houston the night before. A few years back I left my house at 4:45 am for a 9:30 flight. Got cought in traffic on 290 and nearly missed my flight. 290 is one of the most hectic roadways in Texas. You're better off springing for a hotel room the night before IMO.
Max06
AG
quote:
If United offered more flights, it would be worth it. I need to leave before noon a lot of times.

I flew out on United at 6am yesterday. Is that not early enough?
carpe vinum
AG
We never had trouble getting a good flight out in the morning, getting back can be sporty. They have a tendency to cancel a flight and stick everyone on the next one when sales are low.
Max06
AG
Interesting. I fly out of CLL exclusively for work, about 10 trips a year, and have never had one canceled in to or out of CLL.
carpe vinum
AG
2 of our last 3 flights back were bumped to the next flight.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.