TV and Internet options

3,220 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Rozzy
aggiecoach01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are moving to College Station and I'm trying to find out the best options for TV and internet. Any advice is much appreciated ?
armymom
DISH for satellite and Suddenlink for internet. Directv is probably as good (we have had both) but DISH offers the local CBS channel KBTX in high definition whereas Directv doesn't. Sometimes when it rains hard Directv will go out. I haven't had that problem with DISH for whatever reason. May be able to get a pkg deal though if you go with cable & internet with Suddenlink.
CrazyAgE
TV options: Suddenlink or Dish

Internet: Suddenlink

We have Suddenlink for both. You will hear positives and negatives for all of the options.
aggiecoach01
AG
What is the cost of the options after the initial 1 year promotions?
Stupe
S
One downside to Suddenlink is that if you want to change your viewing area, you don't have that option.
InMyOpinion
Just go with suddenlink. Fastest internet and cable is good enough.

One downside to Dish or Direct is the ugly dish mounted to your house
aggiecoach01
AG
Thanks
techno-ag
AG
quote:

The "tailgating" dish is a nice alternative. It can just sit out in your yard and doesn't have to be bolted to your roof or anything. It's also an option in places the HOA frowns on dishes.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:

The "tailgating" dish is a nice alternative. It can just sit out in your yard and doesn't have to be bolted to your roof or anything. It's also an option in places the HOA frowns on dishes.
Yes because the stand alone dish on your lawn looks so much classier than the one on the roof. Add a trailer and yore there.
techno-ag
AG
Yup. The great thing about the tailgate dish is, it can't even be seen behind your fence.
The Original AG 76
AG
techno...
The HOA can no longer interfere in the placement of the dish. State law trumps them. The law allows a homeowner place the dish wherever it is needed on the roof. All you have to do is tell the HOA that the placement is where the installer said is NEEDED for prime reception. There are a number of HOA rules that are not enforceable due to state law. On of my favorite is the LAW that allows you to put a political sign in your yard 60 days before an election. When I used to block walk with candidates I would take a printout of the law with me to show the HOA nazis who tried to stop us from putting out our signs in supporters yards.
UmustBKidding
Actually the dish law is Federal. I love people telling HOA's to pound sand.
Friend moved in local neighbourhood and the HOA rules did not allow transmitters. Went around and noted every house that had a detectable WiFi network, Garage Door opener and everyone he saw on a Cell phone and asked the HOA to discipline them for violating the no transmitter rule.
armymom
I think a satellite dish is just as good looking on your property as a basketball goal is!
techno-ag
AG
Excellent.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Actually the dish law is Federal. I love people telling HOA's to pound sand.
Friend moved in local neighbourhood and the HOA rules did not allow transmitters. Went around and noted every house that had a detectable WiFi network, Garage Door opener and everyone he saw on a Cell phone and asked the HOA to discipline them for violating the no transmitter rule.

Why didn't your friend ask about the HOA rules before buying a house there?

Your friend sounds like a not very smart person.
4lilmonkeys
We've had DirecTV for the entire eleven years we've been in this house (customers since 2001). You can't even see it on our roof unless you're looking for it and it only goes out if we're getting unbelievably heavy rains or thunderstorms. The downside is the cost. It seems like you get nickle and dimed a lot, but obviously not enough for us to change service.

We recently switched from Verizon to Suddenlink for internet. The difference is like night and day, no more battling for bandwidth or not being able to let the kids watch Netflix while I'm working, etc. The ONLY issue we've had is that it seems like with Sudddenlink, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. We've had it for two weeks and still haven't been able to get account info so we can switch our email over, and do things like, pay for our service. I think we fell through the cracks. So...that's a big minus, ha!
understandingmom
quote:

We recently switched from Verizon to Suddenlink for internet.

Why didn't you switch directv to Suddenlink at the same time? We have had directv for 13 years but when i switch internet (hopefully soon) i was planning to do tv too.
Thanks~ i don't want to miss something and regret switching.
4lilmonkeys
Well, we really just wanted to see how things went with our internet service first. We still have another month of Verizon too, so we're kind of giving ourselves an easy out if we're unhappy. But, looking at the cost of Suddenlink vs. what we're paying with DirecTV, we didn't see enough of a price change to stop being customers. It may be different for you...?
Jet Blue
AG
but DISH offers the local CBS channel KBTX in high definition whereas Directv doesn't. <-- is this accurate? I thought DISH only offered Waco, Tx channels as local news instead of KBTX.
dachsie
How do they set you up to have DirectTV and the cable with suddenlink if you still use the same cable type outlets for them in the house? Do they have to make new outlets for the internet?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
but DISH offers the local CBS channel KBTX in high definition whereas Directv doesn't. <-- is this accurate? I thought DISH only offered Waco, Tx channels as local news instead of KBTX.
Well, DirecTV does offer ch. 10 CBS in high def. The only local programming you don't get in high def is Channel 3 News.
BMo
quote:
KBTX HD is in the Dish line up along with the Waco stations.
jagouar1
AG
quote:
quote:
Well, DirecTV does offer ch. 10 CBS in high def. The only local programming you don't get in high def is Channel 3 News.
KAGS also broadcasts locally in HD but that is only on suddenlink unless that has changed recently. For many people having that Bob French weather broadcast is pretty important.
armymom
Yes, KBTX is on DISH. NO KAGS or CW on DISH. Never have seen KAGS so don't miss it!
Rozzy
quote:
How do they set you up to have DirectTV and the cable with suddenlink if you still use the same cable type outlets for them in the house? Do they have to make new outlets for the internet?
I kept Suddenlink internet and had Brent Harriman (texags member) and his business come take care of the DirecTV install. He ran a seperate cable from outside to my cable closet for the DTV stuff while leaving the Suddenlink cable for my internet connection. He takes care of any problems I have with DTV as well, which is a big relief since DTV themselves have been sometimes hard to deal with for me in the past. It all worked out quite well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.