Garage Sale

8,176 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ksp
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:

I can understand that frustration. I personally left the neighborhood that morning and went to Houston for a few hours to avoid it all.
That's so confusing. Unless you were planning on driving around the neighborhood or making multiple trips in and out of your house that morning, it was easy to avoid by staying inside.

"Oh noes! People are driving around the neighborhood... this is so bad... it's affecting me so much inside my house."

ksp
Sometimes the amount of cars coming thru a road is too much. MOST people coming to these garage sales care about one thing, getting to the sale and buying before others do. To do this they will park where ever they want, including blocking your driveway.

They at times, had the entire circle filled like a parking lot.

While it is easy to sit back and play arm chair garage saler coordinator and say get over it , it is one day. it isn't always that cut and dry.

Sometimes being inconvenienced go beyond that. Maybe the salers ought to more entuned to how they effect other and guide the idiots who do not know how to park. maybe LEO can be more up to date on the codes and rules and start pulling signs that do not belong like they are supposed too.

CS is so quick to enforce any rule or code violation, but apparently not this one.

TLIAC didn't respond to it, so assuming she didn't even know hat was against the rules,

It is easy, if you are having a garage sale, be respectful of your neighbors, talk to them ahead of time, if you see some idiot park and block a driveway, control your situation and have them move.

Otherwise expect a LEO to show up. Respect goes both ways, get over it, it is one day, does not fly.
dachsie
quote:
quote:
quote:

I can understand that frustration. I personally left the neighborhood that morning and went to Houston for a few hours to avoid it all.
That's so confusing. Unless you were planning on driving around the neighborhood or making multiple trips in and out of your house that morning, it was easy to avoid by staying inside.

"Oh noes! People are driving around the neighborhood... this is so bad... it's affecting me so much inside my house."

Not necessary.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Sometimes the amount of cars coming thru a road is too much. MOST people coming to these garage sales care about one thing, getting to the sale and buying before others do. To do this they will park where ever they want, including blocking your driveway.

While it is easy to sit back and play arm chair garage saler coordinator and say get over it , it is one day. it isn't always that cut and dry.

Sometimes being inconvenienced go beyond that. Maybe the salers ought to more entuned to how they effect other and guide the idiots who do not know how to park. maybe LEO can be more up to date on the codes and rules and start pulling signs that do not belong like they are supposed too.

CS is so quick to enforce any rule or code violation, but apparently not this one.

TLIAC didn't respond to it, so assuming she didn't even know hat was against the rules,

It is easy, if you are having a garage sale, be respectful of your neighbors, talk to them ahead of time, if you see some idiot park and block a driveway, control your situation and have them move.

Otherwise expect a LEO to show up. Respect goes both ways, get over it, it is one day, does not fly.

It was a neighborhood garage sale... are you not involved enough in your neighborhood to even know this was going to happen on this day? Sounds like you want EVERYONE else to be involved except yourself.

And again, unless you were planning to drive in and out of the neighborhood multiple times that morning, how in the world would this affect you?

You made specific plans to drive to Houston to avoid it?!?1

Sounds a little over-dramatic in attempt to make this seem like a huge issue.

ksp
quote:
quote:

It was a neighborhood garage sale... are you not involved enough in your neighborhood to even know this was going to happen on this day? Sounds like you want EVERYONE else to be involved except yourself.

And again, unless you were planning to drive in and out of the neighborhood multiple times that morning, how in the world would this affect you?

Now that you are off your soap box for a sec, you have me confused with some one else. I didn't drive any where for any length of time, I spoke of people who garage sold for a living causing massive issues 2-3 times a months and LEO's who were out of tune about their rules and regulations.

If you wanna get on a different soap box and rant about what I actually spoke of, then please feel free. Otherwise i don't really care about anything you typed in reply to me as that was not my concern.

regardless if it is announced ahead of time or not, it is still illegal to post signs any where but your yard (which the city does NOT enforce in the slightest) and it is illegal to block a driveway or road way to participate in said garage sale.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Now that you are off your soap box for a sec, you have me confused with some one else. I didn't drive any where for any length of time, I spoke of people who garage sold for a living causing massive issues 2-3 times a months and LEO's who were out of tune about their rules and regulations.

If you wanna get on a different soap box and rant about what I actually spoke of, then please feel free. Otherwise i don't really care about anything you typed in reply to me as that was not my concern.

regardless if it is announced ahead of time or not, it is still illegal to post signs any where but your yard (which the city does NOT enforce in the slightest) and it is illegal to block a driveway or road way to participate in said garage sale.
You are right. I did confuse with the person who left. I apologize.

And, no I didn't address your off-topic discussion.

I believe the HOA was responsible for putting up the Garage Sale signs on stop signs. I can't speak for what they did. They did have a list of those who said they were participating, and perhaps some of those decided not do it. In any case, the signs issue should be addressed with HOA.

If you have an issue with the police not knowing the rules or not enforcing the rules, you can take that to the City Council. If you have neighbors who are having a garage sale too often, you could also bring that up to the HOA, or the neighbors themselves, or even the police.

But this thread was essentially about a once-a-year neighborhood garage sale, and people going overboard with their claims of how DANGEROUS it is, and how all these problems need to be solved that so greatly affected a few people in the neighborhoood.

Essentially, we need a bigger NANNY-STATE because garage sales are getting out of control!
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not necessary.
i concur... driving to Houston to avoid the garage sale was unnecessary.
techno-ag
AG
Personally I prefer donating my stuff to one of the many church or charity garage sales. Money raised goes for a good cause and somebody else deals with selling all the stuff.
dachsie
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not necessary.

91_Aggie - if you dont live in the neighborhood, then why are you bothering to impose your opinion on other people? I went to Houston to take a class, not that its any of your business.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not necessary.

91_Aggie - if you dont live in the neighborhood, then why are you bothering to impose your opinion on other people? I went to Houston to take a class, not that its any of your business.

So saying you went to Houston to avoid it all was a fib?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not necessary.

So saying you went to Houston to avoid it all was a fib?
Where's the fib? They went to a class in Houston to avoid it all.
TxAgg07
AG
Y'all must have a pretty perfect life since y'all don't have any real problems to worry about, jeez.
91_Aggie
AG
I live in the neighborhood.

And saying "I went to Houston to avoid it all" is fib if they were already going to Houston anyways.

Could have said, "Luckily, I had an event scheduled in Houston and was able to avoid it"

My recommendation is to get more involved in the neighborhood. I knew this was coming. I know about it every year. IF I were a person that just could not deal with extra traffic in the neighborhood for 6-8 hours, I'd either plan something to do that morning in my house, or plan a trip away.

But instead, I'm rather reasonable and don't make a mountain out of molehill.
TLIAC
AG
quote:

Don't assume. I've been working a lot and I haven't been on TxAgs since I posted last. I actually did know that.

I also received notification from the HOA that the annual neighborhood garage sale was occurring the Saturday in question. It urged interested residents to turn in their address quickly if they were participating so their address could be included in the ad that they were placing.
Rexter
C&P from the next door thread:

"We discussed this last night at the HOA meeting. We will try to be proactive and place signs at the Barron and 6 entrances the week prior so everyone will have advance notice and can plan for the increase in traffic. A suggestion was made to increase the frequency to quarterly, but I believe the HOA will publish for 2 dates going forward. Call it a spring and fall sale. To clarify, the HOA doesnt sponsor any sale. The HOA pays for a print ad and signs for the members only. The HOA doesn't receive any compensation of any kind in return. It is just a service for the members that wish to use it."
ksp
quote:
quote:

Don't assume. I've been working a lot and I haven't been on TxAgs since I posted last. I actually did know that.

I also received notification from the HOA that the annual neighborhood garage sale was occurring the Saturday in question. It urged interested residents to turn in their address quickly if they were participating so their address could be included in the ad that they were placing.
Then why does the city do a poor job of managing and enforcing this? Signs are left up for weeks some times. I mean the address of the garage is in plain view for the police to follow up on this when the signs are NOT removed. Illegally placed signs left up for weeks. Not penalty or fines for that?

But place a sign advertising Granite counter tops, it is removed within hours. Place a garage sale sign, it stays up for up to weeks.

makes no sense.
TLIAC
AG
Sign removal is (was) really more of a code enforcement thing (or at least it used to be). Honestly, that department has moved several times within the city structure since I worked with it last.

As far as your patrol officers, they have minimal non-dedicated time. Meaning they are responding to a lot of calls for service. When they have free or non-dedicated time, they try to work on dangerous traffic areas by working traffic enforcement and spending time trying to prevent burglaries by patrolling their beats. I'm sure that if you feel it's important that they follow up on garage sale sign removal instead that you could talk to a police supervisor and they would pass along your request.
ksp
quote:
Sign removal is (was) really more of a code enforcement thing (or at least it used to be). Honestly, that department has moved several times within the city structure since I worked with it last.

As far as your patrol officers, they have minimal non-dedicated time. Meaning they are responding to a lot of calls for service. When they have free or non-dedicated time, they try to work on dangerous traffic areas by working traffic enforcement and spending time trying to prevent burglaries by patrolling their beats. I'm sure that if you feel it's important that they follow up on garage sale sign removal instead that you could talk to a police supervisor and they would pass along your request.
Honestly was just talking out loud. I see to many signs wanting you to buy something removed quickly when put up. If you hang a banner without a permit, it is removed quickly, garage sale sign goes up, it stays up for weeks.

Really doesn't bother me, it is just inconsistent, and thought maybe it was just "tolerated" since it was the average Joe making money on one day only as compared to some one trying to make a living out of something.

If it ever bothers me to bad, at that point I'll get with Mr Turner or Mr Gonzales and interrupt their Motorcycles duties. =)
TLIAC
AG
If you proceed and talk to them can I please hide and watch.
ksp
quote:
If you proceed and talk to them can I please hide and watch.
Definitely!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.