Garage Sale

8,177 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ksp
O.G.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok, seriously. Can we NOT put a garage sale sign on every corner in and around Southern Plantation all the way up Decatur and on ever cul-de-sac? Seriously, people are coming down my street looking for a garage sale that is somewhere else. They are blocking each other because of the cars that are normally parked on the street and we have a traffic jam going on a street that normally has very little traffic. The signs do not have an address on them but they are/were on every corner. I took down all the ones around my block. This is WAY too much traffic to be on a street with this many kids out playing. IF you have to have a garage sale, put the address on the sign and do NOT put them on every single street corner in the entire neighborhood....Rant over.
Rexter
Wow. What street do you live on where no one had a sale? It looked like there was a house doing business on every single one this morning.
91_Aggie
AG
Or perhaps you could deal with it for one weekend
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Umm, this was the weekend for the Neighborhood Garage Sale. Of course there were garage sales everywhere.
O.G.
Typically, most "neighborhood garage sales" are held in one big location with ample parking etc so that you don't have 5 cars in a cul de sac trying to get in and out at the same time whilst dealing with the cars that are already parked on the side of the street. My street looked like Texas Avenue at 7am this morning.

So, how bout in the future some thought to a big garage sale being done at an elem school or park where there is something for the kids to do and parking etc? Just sayin'.
Tanya 93
quote:
Typically, most "neighborhood garage sales" are held in one big location with ample parking etc so that you don't have 5 cars in a cul de sac trying to get in and out at the same time whilst dealing with the cars that are already parked on the side of the street. My street looked like Texas Avenue at 7am this morning.

So, how bout in the future some thought to a big garage sale being done at an elem school or park where there is something for the kids to do and parking etc? Just sayin'.

Yes, it is so practical to haul everything to a school so you aren't inconvenienced for a morning.
O.G.
I've seen it done many times at churches, elementary schools and for charity events. Not sure what's not practical about it.
Tanya 93
quote:
I've seen it done many times at churches, elementary schools and for charity events. Not sure what's not practical about it.

Families that don't have trucks or SUVs can't always haul everything. It is one morning. Get over it.
AggieDarlin
AG
They should move all garage sales to Veteran's Park
91_Aggie
AG
I don't understand those who voluntarily move to a suburban neighborhood but want to have everyone not do anything that might affect them.

Move out to the country if you want that.

Shenandoah has been doing this neighborhood garage sale for years. You can either try to learn to be able to deal with a little extra traffic on one morning out of the year, or you can rant on here like a millennial beacause you had to deal with a little irritation for about 6-8 hours one day a year

Rexter
The op looks like one on nextdoor where the op there got schooled.
BlueMiles
AG
First World Problems
Oogway
Gee whiz Sawgunner, why didn't you just get a permit and set up a lemonade stand?
medic1969p
You need to talk to your HOA. It was the annual Shenandoah Garage Sales so chances are they put the signs up.
O.G.
In the interest of being a good neighbor and realizing that this was a big day for a lot of people, and because it appears to be important to some people, I will concede that the garage sale thing is a big deal and a lot of families get into it. Some things can be met in the middle on.

However, I still believe that there needs to be better traffic coordination and direction when you are talking about that volume of traffic, especially on side streets. There were literally people that could not go forward or back up because of the cars on the streets.

The BCS Marathon has their Expo at CSHS and you are talking about 5-6000 people that show up for that on a Saturday, so having it at a central location can be done.
Random people driving in and out of every nook and cranny of the neighborhood, especially where there is no actual garage sale going on, is unwanted/needed traffic congestion. They literally had no idea where they were going and no idea how to get to where they were supposed to be.

There was no direction and no way for a person that was not from this neighborhood to know where sales were because there were literally signs on every corner. That is not helpful. That has traffic going everywhere and making circles. One lady said she went down a street that had a sign but saw not sales so she kept making circles thinking they would open later.....um, no.

I will be attending the next HOA meeting to see if some of these issues can't be resolved and a better, more fluid garage sale done next year.
EagleLM
Maybe there should be a joint B/CS City Council committee established on Neighborhood Garage Sale Etiquette and SAWgunner can be in charge.
O.G.
quote:
Maybe there should be a joint B/CS City Council committee established on Neighborhood Garage Sale Etiquette and SAWgunner can be in charge.

I'm good with that:
No garage sales on game day weekends. Ever.
Hosts of the garage sales must be bilingual (I am) so they can help tell people where the next garage sale is.
No selling of unlicensed lemonade.
No using your house as Bed and Breakfast and or renting out your garage for others to use for their garage sales, most especially during football season and not EVER on game weekend.
No Garage Sales on Graduation, Parents, or Chilifest weekends.
Garage Sales may not go past noon, that's just rude.
All Garage Sales must be held within Walking Distance of a pre-established Bryan/College Station Mono-Rail Station.

91_Aggie
AG
Yep. We need all sorts of rules to prevent the inconvenience of having to wait 5 minutes to drive down a side street

Just let it go. How petty are you going to get to not appear "wrong" here?

O.G.
quote:
Yep. We need all sorts of rules to prevent the inconvenience of having to wait 5 minutes to drive down a side street

Just let it go. How petty are you going to get to not appear "wrong" here?

Yeah, um. Listen. For starters, I'm not wrong. There were traffic issues with some folks that English was not their first language and it had to be dealt with. So I did.

However, I am open to the idea of working out a way that this is easier on everyone including the HOA and the folks that have the garage sales themselves. I will be attending the next HOA meeting to see if we can brainstorm and put some ideas on the table. My post above is satire and a little self deprecating humor.

You are the one that needs to let it go.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Why should a neighbor have to be inconvenienced at all for someone else's garage sale they were unaware of? A good neighbor would let everyone know in advance.
rhoswen
AG
Sounds to me like they were notified. On every street corner.
Tanya 93
quote:
Why should a neighbor have to be inconvenienced at all for someone else's garage sale they were unaware of? A good neighbor would let everyone know in advance.
Apparently he was the only one who didn't know.

Maybe he should pay more attention to the goings on in his neighborhood.
The Anchor
AG
There's also a thread on here on the first page. It specifically says it's a neighborhood wide garage sale.
TLIAC
AG
I've never participated but the annual neighborhood garage sale has been held this time of year in Shenandoah for as long as I can remember and I've lived here 10 years. Sure there is a lot of traffic but it's one morning/early afternoon one day a year. It doesn't bother me that much.
Hammerheadjim
AG
As I said a good neighbor would let "everyone" know in advance. I don't have a problem with garage sales, they serve a purpose. If I lived on a street having a garage sale I say more power to you, just let me know so I can sleep in.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Were there poprocks for sale at this garage sale?
Mr. Griswold
The struggle is real.
TxAgg07
AG
quote:

Oh my, 5 cars?! The horror!!! Won't somebody think of the children?!
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
The BCS Marathon has their Expo at CSHS and you are talking about 5-6000 people that show up for that on a Saturday, so having it at a central location can be done.
I just called the head of their EXPO committee. Next year it'll be in your front lawn. Chilifest will be at the elementary school.
duffelpud
AG
duffelpud
AG
Just post a few of these around next Saturday and you should see the traffic count cut way back...

The Collective
AG
I grew up in a neighborhood in Fort Worth that had a neighborhood garage sale similar to this. Typically a CF on the small streets but a good time. Good time to get out and meet those who live around you.
ksp
quote:
Ok, seriously. Can we NOT put a garage sale sign on every corner in and around Southern Plantation all the way up Decatur and on ever cul-de-sac? Seriously, people are coming down my street looking for a garage sale that is somewhere else. They are blocking each other because of the cars that are normally parked on the street and we have a traffic jam going on a street that normally has very little traffic. The signs do not have an address on them but they are/were on every corner. I took down all the ones around my block. This is WAY too much traffic to be on a street with this many kids out playing. IF you have to have a garage sale, put the address on the sign and do NOT put them on every single street corner in the entire neighborhood....Rant over.
Per city of CS code, signs can not put put up, or used to be that way unless it has changed.
ksp
Per CoCS website......

The City of College Station Code of Ordinance, Section 5, allows for a garage sale once every six months and each sale is limited to 72 consecutive hours. Signs for the sale should only be located on the property of the individual conducting the sale.

I know for fact more LEO have no clue of this, as we had some people who did garage sales for a llving.

After three weekends of insane cars in the circle, the LEO's came out every weekend to unblock a car from our driveway, I had to have this printed off and show him about the signs and they always had them remove them. The signs rarely get removed when done either.
dachsie
quote:
Per CoCS website......

The City of College Station Code of Ordinance, Section 5, allows for a garage sale once every six months and each sale is limited to 72 consecutive hours. Signs for the sale should only be located on the property of the individual conducting the sale.

I know for fact more LEO have no clue of this, as we had some people who did garage sales for a llving.

After three weekends of insane cars in the circle, the LEO's came out every weekend to unblock a car from our driveway, I had to have this printed off and show him about the signs and they always had them remove them. The signs rarely get removed when done either.

Sawgunner needs to bring this to the HOA meeting then. I think his main issue was there were signs posted where there were no garage sales happening. I can understand that frustration. I personally left the neighborhood that morning and went to Houston for a few hours to avoid it all.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.