The Local in Downtown Bryan

2,802 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TARDIS
ChampsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tried it tonight for the second and probably last time. First time was a Saturday night where we waited almost an hour for our food. Tonight we were there two hours before our food arrived.

I'm all for supporting local businesses, but this was just too much of a bad thing. Food is great, service is below subpar. Our first waiter was on his 2nd night. Tonight he was 15 and on his first night.

I wish them luck, but I'm afraid that they will fail at this rate.
Goose83
AG
To be honest, I'm still surprised they're still in business at all, as your experience has (sadly) been pretty much the norm, and not the exception. I had friends that used to go down there who put up with it because they liked the food, but the last time when they went there they were charged extra for the mayonnaise and mustard for their hamburgers, which was when they finally said enough and called it quits. There are too many good restaurants in B/CS to have to put up with nonsense like that (no matter how good the food).
FlyRod
What did the manager say when you complained about the service?
ChampsAg
Both times the manager had excuses about the lack of the waitstaff experience and getting busier than expected. Last night she told us that she is the only one that can mix drinks so that's why the drink orders backed up. She once again comped part of our meal, as well as others, to attempt to make up for it. Not sure how you can stay in business constantly having to discount tickets.

Multiple groups left after appetizers. No one that I saw walked out happy. I would really like for the place to succeed, but they have to address the staffing issue. As I stated before, the food is really good.
nashvilleaggie11
And to think they are pushing this reality TV show about their restaurantI don't know if I'd want people to see my bad service...
Goose83
AG
Yeah, you'd think their priority would be getting their restaurant on an even keel first, instead of expending all this energy on a reality show. Even if you get on the show, you still have to have things running smoothly enough to hold on to those customers that were brought in by the television exposure.
ChampsAg
And actually it was Beverly the owner not a manager both times.

BlueMiles
AG
What's this about the reality show? Haven't heard about it.
BJD01
AG
Went last night for the second time and both food and service were fantastic. They weren't too busy though. Hope they make it.
atp2007
Went the other night. 2 1/2 hours to get out of there. Food was good, but you can't take that long for dinner at essentially a diner. Owner said they had a cook in training which was causing the delay, but she sat talking to customers instead of pushing out of the way and cooking herself. People were leaving left and right. We felt bad for the waitress so we stayed. It was a total disaster. If it was the first night, I'd understand, but they are 4 1/2 months in. If they make it until July 1, it will only be because the owner has another income source.
TARDIS
AG
I went there last night. Food was slow coming out but man, was it good when we got it! I had the smothered steak, and their gravy was to die for. Fried okra had the perfect breading, onion rings were huge, mashed potatoes were pretty good. Our waiter was an extremely attentive kid and never let our drinks run out.

I think they'd do just fine, if they could get their kitchen moving a bit faster.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.