Best boiled crawfish

3,702 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TheTravelGuy
ksp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Place for lunch today?
ksp
or dinner?
Cancelled
AG
I doubt you will find it for lunch. I guess Shipwreck has it, but it is underwhelming. Why not just to it yourself? I'll eat at least 10lbs, so it's cheaper to do my own.
ksp
Problem is they sell them by the 28-33 lb average sack. Our big crawfish boil is 5/2/15. I need to eat some before then. Would hit crawfish to go tomorrow but leaving town as soon as work is over
jja79
AG
Willie's Ice House
ksp
quote:
Willie's Ice House
Any good? Spicy?
rae13
AG
I think they only serve them on the weekend, but Smitty K's has by far the best bugs I've eaten in the Brazos Valley.
DBSwooper
https://www.facebook.com/crawfish.togeaux
ksp
quote:
https://www.facebook.com/crawfish.togeaux
Thx stated they open for dinner starting friday, and I am leaving town tomorrow at 4pm. I cuss kevin all the time for not opening for lunches on Thrusday lol.

Found a 32lb sack, just need someone to split with me!
Max06
AG
M Beaux's
UglyScientist
Not Prospector's.
AggieJason
AG
Willie's was disgusting & unfulfilling the one and only time I ate there.

Shipwreck is the best in town, IMO.
AgSportsFan
AG
Wolfies
aggiepaintrain
AG
Wolfies
dachsie
I bring my own cayene when I eat crawfish out. I thought the waitresses eyes were going to bulge out of her head at Shipwreck when she saw me put it all over my crawfish. LOL
CN
Don't get it from Willie's, it's not good. I tried some from Wolfies a couple of years ago, it was worse. Both of them suffer from lack of seasoning... it's like they just threw them in a pot of water.

Shipwreck's was OK but the quality of the crawfish was terrible. It's almost like they leave the sacks of crawfish outside all day before they boil them.

I've seen signs in front of The Tap for crawfish but I've never had them.

M Beaux's is the best in the area but I'd still rate them as good enough.

I seem to remember HEB @ Towerpoint sometimes selling them by the pound last year... haven't looked this year.
Tailgate88
AG
I have eaten crawfish at Shipwreck on many occasions and they've always been great. Maybe you were just there and a bad day.
ksp
quote:
I have eaten crawfish at Shipwreck on many occasions and they've always been great. Maybe you were just there and a bad day.
The problem is for some, I believe is the spicyness of them. Shipwreck isn't spicy enough for me. Doesn't mean they were bad, just not how i like them.
CN
quote:

I've had them a couple of times and they were consistent. They were boiled/seasoned adequately, it's just that the crawfish itself wasn't all that good like they were stored incorrectly. I could tell because (forgive my lack of knowledge of the crawfish anatomy), the part of the shell over the gills was whitish instead of red. I've seen that before--from dead crawfish that's been left out too long in the sun.
FlyRod
With respect to our local eateries, these are not ringing endorsements. Highly recommend doing the bugs yourself with friends and a lot of beer. You can control the freshness, the purging, and of course the seasoning. Make a party of it.
Tailgate88
AG
As a public service, my family and I travelled to Shipwreck last night for an updated review. We consumed 14lbs of mud bugs, 2 dozen raw oysters, and a dozen grilled oysters. All delicious.

Our bugs were well seasoned and plenty fresh but they are selling so many right now they probably aren't sitting around in storage very long.

That all said, we are having our family boil in a few weeks and I know those will be even better, because we like them spicier than a restaurant can get away with serving them.
DontBeTriggered
Pappadeaux... It's worth the drive. Too bad the City of College Station mucked up the deal to have one here.
PS3D
quote:
Pappadeaux... It's worth the drive. Too bad the City of College Station mucked up the deal to have one here.

As attractive as blaming the city is, it was a deal with Scott & White.
mgreen
Since I am from New Orleans do I get two votes? M-Beaux easily the best and largest. Surpisngly HEB at Tower Point is consistently good. Still trying to visit Crawfish To Geaux but never open when in the mood.
dachsie
quote:
quote:

As attractive as blaming the city is, it was a deal with Scott & White.

As attractive as blaming Scott & White is, it is all Pappadeaux's fault. They own the building at 1600 University now. Scott & White does not. Their buyer thought the building could be used for a restaurant.
halibut sinclair
quote:

As attractive as blaming Scott & White is, it is all Pappadeaux's fault. They own the building at 1600 University now. Scott & White does not. Their buyer thought the building could be used for a restaurant.
I thought the plan all along was to tear down that building? The site plan submitted by Pappas that I saw months ago had a different building and parking lot configuration.
dachsie
They were thinking at one point of using part of the exisiting structure. That could have changed
halibut sinclair
Apparently.
Spyderman
AG
Heard today that the Remnant of Nawlins had very good crawdads. May only be available on Sat though..not sure.
TheTravelGuy
If were gonna talk about ""worth the drive" then Mbeaux's outside of Carlos on 244 towards Anderson has to be in the conversation.....just saying !........last weekend they were $6.50/pd...but worth every penny.......and thats crawfish weight, not corn and potatoes and a few bugs
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.