Fishing in Bryan/College Station

12,010 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 979 fishing
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to go fishing some this afternoon after class, any suggestions besides central park, Bush library and Crompton park?

Also whats the deal with hook restrictions at the library? Did a quick search and found a few threads referencing that there were some but couldn't find exactly what.

Thanks and Gig'em!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
No barbed hooks at bush.
FlyRod
Best bet for any serious fishing is Lake Bryan.

In College Station, try that little pond off Hwy 6 just before the Emerald Forest exit, heading south. I've caught bass, crappie, and freshwater drum in there, but quite a few years ago.

Good luck!
Tagguy
AG
Make the drive to Gibbons Creek Reservoir.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Looks like gibbons creek is only an option on weekends?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
quote:

In College Station, try that little pond off Hwy 6 just before the Emerald Forest exit, heading south. I've caught bass, crappie, and freshwater drum in there, but quite a few years ago.

Good luck!

Can anybody fish there? Looks fenced off to me so I always thought it was private property.
CharlieBrown17
AG
quote:
quote:

Good luck!

Can anybody fish there? Looks fenced off to me so I always thought it was private property.

This as well, I'm ok hopping fences back home where I know I can. Little more weary about it here.
Tagguy
AG
Damn that's a shame. It was only Wednesdays that it use to be closed. I spent many a day fishing there when I was in school.

If you have a boat or kayak it can be very productive.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Looks like a great place, definitely thinking about bringing kayak down here to try it out in the future
Tagguy
AG
Do it!

I took my boat out quite a few times and caught nice cats and bass. I've also caught buffalo, crappie and tilapia out there. That place definitely has some fish.

They can be pretty hungry. I have caught several blues on crankbaits and roadrunners.
armymom
Gibbons is only open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Armydad frequents it often.
Spicewood Ag
AG
Bryan Municipal golf course has a giant water hole on the corner of Old College and whatever that road is. Thing is loaded with 4 & 5 pounders
welborn
Don't fish the pond near Emerald Parkway exit. That's private property and the police will tell you as much.

Gibbons is the best around for complete public access but their hours/days of operations have changed.

Fortunately for me, I live on Carter Lake so we fish whenever. It is not open to the public though.

I believe the CSPD pond has good fish but its catch and release and you better have a license because they'll check.
Brewmaster
AG
good to know about Muni's pond...believe it or not I caught a 5 pounder in a small pond in what is now Lick Creek Park, at night with a lighted cork and a minnow.

Tilapia in Lake Bryan? I may have to give it a try!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
quote:
Bryan Municipal golf course has a giant water hole on the corner of Old College and whatever that road is. Thing is loaded with 4 & 5 pounders

Just don't eat what you catch of of there
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Just don't eat what you catch of of there
That's right. Arsenic poisoning several years back.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Idk if you have access to a boat or canoe but my buddies and I would float the Navasota (off of 30) and Brazos (past campus on University) rivers. We would be out there from 6am to about 6pm. It was kinda fun and adventurous.
FlyRod
Honestly if you can swing it, do Gibbons or Somerville. There are message boards detailing how nutrient poor Lake Bryan is, and how low the fish stocks are compared to other lakes. The little ponds CS manages are heavily fished and not terribly rewarding.
Alternately, ask around if someone with access to one of the private lakes might let you access their property to fish them...couldn't hurt and you might make some new fishing buddies.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I think I'll stick with the city ponds until next semester and try and bring a kayak down.

I tried the golf course today but didn't like the crowd so I just left. Went to CSPD and got a few good bites but didn't snag anything. Saw an older couple catch a few catfish while I was there, also looks to be a five fish a day bag limit instead of catch and release.

Thanks for all the advice
979 fishing
I live in CS and I have a fishing page on Facebook or anyone is interested, I would be happy to share some of the spots I hit!
https://www.facebook.com/979Fishing/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.