Appalled at CoCS and TAMU - Veteran's Park [Staff Warning on OP]

48,613 Views | 331 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
etmydst
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[This is obviously a hot topic and this thread will remain active. Please remain respectful and refrain from using profanity when posting your opinions. -Staff]

The City has kicked kids soccer out of Veteran's Park on Saturdays to allow TAMU to use it as a parking lot for football games.

I had heard this was in the works a few weeks ago, but it looks as if the City isn't backing down and the soccer community has sent a letter to parents notifying us of this situation.

I have two daughters that play soccer and participate in other sports and activities. I can't believe that the people that run the parks department and the City leaders can in any way justify using a very heavily used soccer park in this manner. I hope Mayor Berry and the City Council get control of the parks department and allow the continued use of the facility as it was intended.

While apparently TAMU was misled(see below) by the parks department about the usage of the park, they should be embarrassed about this as well and find a different location for their needs. Someone needs to be a leader and do the right thing.

The letters from the Brazos Valley Youth Soccer Association to parents and to the City leaders are pasted below:
quote:
April 7, 2015 Dear Parents: Beginning in 1995 and continuing through 2003, over $9.5 million in City of College Station Bonds have been voted on and paid by the citizens to build Veterans Park for the outdoor recreation needs of our community. It has become a centerpiece for the City of College Station Parks program and hosts countless numbers of citizens playing soccer, softball, and any number of sports and recreational activities as well as a place to honor our veterans. For years College Station Parks and Recreation and the Brazos Valley Youth Soccer Association (College Station Soccer Club, Challenge Aggieland, Texans Aggieland and Brazos Valley Futbol Club) have worked together so that well over 1,300 College Station youth per season can play soccer and learn values that athletics can provide, utilizing the soccer fields that were included as part of those bond issues voted on by the citizenry of College Station. That will end this fall when Veterans Park will be used as a parking lot instead of a place for our youth to recreate. For seven Saturdays this fall, the City of College Station is in negotiations to utilize Veterans Park as a parking facility for Texas A&M Football's "Get to the Grid." This will close Veterans Park to the Brazos Valley Youth Soccer Association and the families who participate in their programming for seven Saturdays in the peak of soccer season. While the City has proposed moving the Brazos Valley Youth Soccer Association (College Station Soccer Club, Challenge Aggieland, Texans Aggieland and Brazos Valley Futbol Club) games to weeknights, this is a major change in programming that will create many challenges including family scheduling issues, increased volunteer demands, referee availability, and practice space availability. Although we understand the economic boom that Aggie games bring to our community, the bond issues approved by the citizens of College Station were for Parks, not parking lots. What can be done is up to our City Council. We encourage you to email, call, or write to the Mayor, City Council, and the City Manager with your opinion on this matter. The contact information is included below. In addition, we would invite any of you to attend the City of College Station Council Meeting on April the 23rd.

quote:

April 7, 2015 Mayor, City Council, and City Manager: Beginning this fall Veterans Park will be used as a parking lot instead of a place for our youth to recreate. For seven Saturdays this fall, the City of College Station is in partnership with Texas A&M to utilize Veterans Park as a parking facility for Texas A&M Football's "Get to the Grid." This will close Veterans Park on Saturdays to the Brazos Valley Youth Soccer Association (College Station Soccer Club, Challenge Aggieland, Texans Aggieland, and Brazos Valley Futbol Club) whose traditional fall season is from early September through late November. While we have worked with the City representing the interest of over 1,300 youth and their families per season, there seems to be an impasse on activities this fall. Attached for your review is the last field grid proposal from the City of Parks Department from our meetings with staff. Please know that we have diligently worked with your Parks and Recreation staff to discuss a resolution of this conflict but we have been told it is a done deal and have no choice but to accept the field grid. Some critical points in this matter: Post Oak Mall did not renew the "Get to the Grid" contract due to problems which included disrespect by the users, amounts of trash left behind, and logistical concerns;
City of College Station Parks Department advised BVYSA that Texas A&M University and the Transportation Institute sought out Veteran's Park because of the need of parking space for "Get to the Grid" and the opportunity to partnership with Texas A&M. Other locations around B/CS were explored but Veteran's Park was the only option available; We have been informed by the Transportation Department at Texas A&M that this matter was sought out by the City of College Station and they were told that "there are no activities at Veteran's Park on Saturdays" and this was a great partnership opportunity. They were misled into believing that there were no games taking place on Saturdays during Aggie Football games and were told that the Parks Department "had worked things out with the soccer leagues". When the City of College Station Parks Department notified BVYSA of the changes coming this fall, they included the need to have three consecutive days per week for maintenance as one of the reasons for the arrangement. Parks and Rec has advised BVYSA in prior years that it needed additional weekends for tournaments and requested one weekend a month for events. The three consecutive maintenance days a week has not been discussed until "Get to the Grid" was discussed; BVYSA has worked with the City of College Station Parks Department on field allocations over the years to ensure maintenance time for our fields. We have also worked with and encouraged a rotation of usage of fields for maintenance. BVYSA is vested deeply in the conditions, maintenance and safety of the fields for our players and players to come in the future.
According to the City Parks Staff, by attracting visitors to Veteran's Park through "Get to the Grid" it showcases Veterans Park to people from outside the community for other potential opportunities. This decision affects over 1300 kids that have been and are involved in soccer and will infringe upon some, if not all of those, which will result in lower registrations not only in soccer but other sports and youth activities. This change will create many challenges including family scheduling issues, increased volunteer demands, referee availability, and practice space availability. The Spring Season is still pending and we anticipate that the Parks Department will request that all games be scheduled during the week. Soccer is a unique sport compared to others. The structure directed from US Youth Soccer sets forth that a majority of the games are to be played on weekends. There is not a single proper soccer program in existence without regular Saturday usages. Soccer is a sport which is dependent on development of its players not only in the sport but in sportsmanship and team. Practices are held during the week for the development of players where games have been played on Saturdays and Sundays. The soccer community is not in favor of turning Veteran's Park athletic complex originally intended for recreational sports into a parking lot and potentially a party plaza for Aggie Football. At this point we believe we have no other recourse other than to just accept it and send the message below to the citizens of College Station who participate in the soccer program which is the largest youth activity in town. While it is almost certain this will make the news, it is not our intention to shed bad light on the city in which we live. It is however; hard to believe the city will displace the youth for the sake of parking cars; all at a facility that the citizens approved $9.5 million in bonds to build as a city park. Our board would be happy to meet with any or all of you but time is of the essence as your staff is communicating this as a done deal. Please advise if you would be willing to discuss in the next week or two. We, as a soccer community, have partnered with the City of College Station for years and hopefully will get past this setback and partner for years to come.
Turtle88
AG
I was wondering what was going to happen ever since they announced that football parking would be there. Now they are talking about more fields at Veterans. What the heck. Stupid run things around here! Guess A$M is putting up the $$$!!
jja79
AG
The dollars generated by game days are staggering. Everyone benefits. Kicking one's golden goose is seldom a good idea.
duffelpud
AG
Sounds like the parents and kids should organize a 'kick in' to protest.
BCStalk
Any idea on how much roughly Bryan/College Station residents contribute to this economy in a dollar amount? Just curious and possibly a bit off topic.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Sounds like the parents and kids should organize a 'kick in' to protest.

If they can afford parking...
redd38
AG
Does the mall not have enough parking? Or do they not do Get To The Grid from there anymore?
rcannaday
AG
Is the city getting paid at all for this?
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Does the mall not have enough parking? Or do they not do Get To The Grid from there anymore?

Beat me to it. Why aren't they staying at the mall? Plenty of space there?
Turtle88
AG
The mall said they were taking up to many spaces!
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Post Oak Mall management decided they didn't want to deal with it anymore. So TAMU partnered with the city to use Veteran's Park on game days.
etmydst
AG
quote:
The dollars generated by game days are staggering. Everyone benefits. Kicking one's golden goose is seldom a good idea.
Thank you for illustrating the attitude that has led to this situation. I guess you believe tailgaters should be allowed to setup in the police and fire stations or in city hall on gameday to protect the golden goose if A&M were to ask?

Is A&M going to up and leave College Station taking the golden goose with them if they can't use VPAC? When the right thing to do by the citizens is obvious, leaders need to lead and not be bullied by A&M or their own Parks Director's misguided agenda.
AggieJason
AG
quote:
leaders need to lead and not be bullied
What evidence could you possibly have to lead to this absurd statement?

Give it a rest, dude. This isn't the end of the world for "VPAC" for the Twin Cities.
Rexter
How many parking spots are at VAC? Every time I've been there for an event, it wasn't easy to find a place to park. It seems like Riverside Campus would have a lot more room and be a straight shot to the game.
redd38
AG
quote:
How many parking spots are at VAC? Every time I've been there for an event, it wasn't easy to find a place to park. It seems like Riverside Campus would have a lot more room and be a straight shot to the game.

not sure how many spots, I'd like to know as well. they recently added more spots but it can't be close to as many as the mall has. surely there's somewhere with more spots that aren't being used. Blinn or Riverside or the convention center or somewhere.
gettingitdone
Blinn has a huge parking lot that sits empty on weekends. This would be a great location!!!
jja79
AG
I understand how to follow the money.
etmydst
AG
You tell me. Did you not basically say, allow A&M to do as they please and sit back and take it?

...and no, I'm not going to give it rest. This situation can still be solved and I'm not going to hide under a rock because you said so. You are welcome to give it a rest if you don't care about how this is being handled by our City, but that's your choice not mine.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
That's f'in bull****. Sure game days bring in money but my tax money pays for those parks too. Our kids shouldn't be penalized for A&M's lack of planning for adequate parking to accommodate the crowds.
jja79
AG
Not at all. Follow the money and you'll see why this makes sense.

Do you think these nice facilities would exist without Texas A&M in town?

SWF local kids benefit greatly by having a huge university in town. Most of t hem probably wouldn't live in BCS without it.
Mathguy64
AG
There is a war that is about to emerge over the use of this park. One one side you have citizens who pay taxes for park space that is used for soccer, softball, flag football and veterans ceremonies. On the other side you have a city staff that sees those facilities as generating revenue directly for their coffers via the HOT from out of town tournaments of all types and now the TAMU angle. In CS it's the Department of Rec, Parks and Tourism and the tourism part is leading the charge. The kids and adults that use those facilities are about to get pushed aside for the almighty tourism $$.

My understanding is that Blinn was considered and rejected as it made the bus route more difficult. If they want an easy route and a big lot they could use the HSC lot. It's even TAMU property and the busses could easily drop off and pick up right near the stadium or on west campus.
etmydst
AG
quote:
Yes. A&M didn't build the park and correct me if I'm wrong, they don't pay property tax that paid for the bonds that did. It's really a chicken or the egg debate that is irrelevant. Every city has employers and employees. Should the largest employer in every city get to decide when the citizens can use the public parks? You know the answer.
AFM
If A&M can spend $450M to renovate Kyle Field, why can they build their own parking lots for their customers (fans)? I don't use the V Park but hate to see it being misused.

InMyOpinion
Has anyone considered using some of the larger churches for game day? They have large parking lots that typically sit empty on Saturdays.

Just an idea
rcannaday
AG
Would be interesting for those on this thread to first say where they live (Do you live in CS?), if they own property that pays property taxes for the City of College Station, and also why not: do you vote? Just so we know where your skin is in the game.

I'll start:
Yes, Yes, Yes.
lockett93
AG
I live in CS and my daughter plays soccer... I'm not yet sure how 7 Saturdays each fall will impact this, it I'm definitely sure that I dont think closing the park is the best idea.

I like the church idea, or Blinn, or how about the Brazos County Expo....
jja79
AG
quote:
quote:
Yes. A&M didn't build the park and correct me if I'm wrong, they don't pay property tax that paid for the bonds that did. It's really a chicken or the egg debate that is irrelevant. Every city has employers and employees. Should the largest employer in every city get to decide when the citizens can use the public parks? You know the answer.

Does Hearne or Snook have a park like this? I doubt it. Without A&M CS would be the size of those two.
befitter
It's ridiculous . A&M needs to build themselves more parking to deal with this problem. No one is kicking the golden goose. That goose isn't going anywhere.
rsa
AG
quote:
Would be interesting for those on this thread to first say where they live (Do you live in CS?), if they own property that pays property taxes for the City of College Station, and also why not: do you vote? Just so we know where your skin is in the game.

I'll start:
Yes, Yes, Yes.
Yes, yes, and yes.

The notion that Blinn is too far away or that there are too many traffic issues is b.s. The A&M buses make it back-and-forth on weekdays with no issues: Saturdays on 29th street are a cakewalk in comparison. Add to that, the parking lots at Blinn cover a whole lot larger area than what was used by the GRID at Post Oak Mall.

Other venues for parking: Central Baptist, the parking lot at the Chimney Hill center the city owns, the old Albertson's on University, the parking lot of the old Albertson's on Longmire, AMCHS, HSC, Riverside campus, the Lynntech building on the bypass, and probably a number of other places that slip my mind right now.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Several years ago A&M and CoCS entered into some mutual use agreement. They are exercising that option. Not saying its ideal. Also Post Oak mall wanted a mega raise for their parking lots.
UmustBKidding
I am constantly appalled with actions taken by COCS, and am not in favour of this one either. But the reality is that this park was not built with property taxes but with Hotel Occupancy Tax funds. So in large part it was built by people paying exorbitant room rates on game days that need a way to get to the game.
Cancelled
AG
Boo this.
JR Ewing
AG
quote:
I am constantly appalled with actions taken by COCS, and am not in favor of this one either. But the reality is that this park was not built with property taxes but with Hotel Occupancy Tax funds. So in large part it was built by people paying exorbitant room rates on game days that need a way to get to the game.
Yes, Yes, and Yes - and BINGO!
ksp
If someone here has the land, I have the potential to have the financial backing, we can go in together and build a sports complex that includes VB, baseball and indoor soccer options.

Would kill here.

Serious here too.
91_Aggie
AG
has the soccer club throwing the ruckus posted their normal soccer schedule and how it will be impacted by the 7 games?

Is every weekend there is a home game for A&M impacting their schedule? Or is it just one or two of the games?

I don't see that mentioned anywhere.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.