Need information on electrical installation on property

2,031 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by CrossBowAg99
Nealthedestroyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bought property in Bryan near FM2223. BTU is putting a slackline pole onto our property then we're doing underground line for about 400ft. My question is why do i have to use BTU to pull the wire through the conduit I install on MY property?
Yuccadoo
Because they say so? Lately, they seem to want to place their own ground based transformer systems near the use and so they own and install everything from the overhead to the 'unit' 'and that's the way it is'.
Yuccadoo
If you set a permanent pole near their drop pole, I believe they will overhead connect to it. Then you can do what you want. At least that is the way it was a few years ago.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
So if I have them just run a line to a pole on my property, then I can do anything I want?
Yuccadoo
That's what I did several years ago. Basically a meter pole and breakers sufficient for your needs. Don't forget to check your wiring gauge requirements when running a long line to your use point. Check your economics out and decide if that is really what you want to do....if you are running 200 amp service 400', be prepared for a bit of sticker shock.

And don't take my word for it, check with BTU or better, an electrician. It's been a few years since I did the pole setup I am describing, but I have several services set up like that, and one that is probably 4 years old for a water well, sub pump in my lake for land irrigation, and a pool pond and lighting. That was 100 AMP IIRC, and I don't direct bury my cable....I put it in PVC.
UmustBKidding
They own the wire before the meter. So depends on where your meter can is located. On mine they ran 200 ft underground and I paid for the rest(poles, line extension, clearing). They made me put it on the opposite side of my house than I desired so my run was far longer. They indicated that I would be able to recover the difference when the lot next to mine got service. Of course when they got service I got nothing. Mine is a pole mounted transformer not a pad mounted one. Their wiring my be cheaper that what you are allowed to do. They ran AL wire on my underground were I would have been required to feed with copper at least at the time and far greater cost. Of course this was a 350 amp service.

An do anything you want is not really true. BTU will inspect the load side before supplying service.
Lee72
AG
Along a similar line, I just purchased some land between Bryan and Hearne. Electric service is thru Navasota Valley Elect Co-Op. I have to furnish the meter loop pole setup; however, they will allow me to sign for the pole to put the equipment on. My question is - where is the best "bang for my buck" to purchase the meter can, main breaker box, conduit, wire, etc in BCS area? I would even entertain purchasing lightly used equipment.
gutmancometh
The utility is responsible to the top of your meter can...they pull to make sure the utility is good...once it passes the electric meter, it is all yours...and this is at every utilities...
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
Along a similar line, I just purchased some land between Bryan and Hearne. Electric service is thru Navasota Valley Elect Co-Op. I have to furnish the meter loop pole setup; however, they will allow me to sign for the pole to put the equipment on. My question is - where is the best "bang for my buck" to purchase the meter can, main breaker box, conduit, wire, etc in BCS area? I would even entertain purchasing lightly used equipment.

Try McCoys
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.