John Raney vs. Blinn College

14,943 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by atm86
lastrebel2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, well, well. It appears your crony capitalist, state Rep. John Raney is trying to stick it to Brenham, so he can boost his book sales here. If Brazos County wants a CC, then they should vote and pay for it. Blinn has handled things really well for 100 years, and Washington Co. has been the one paying the taxes. Bryan has a nice campus and didn't have to pay any taxes to build it. Now Raney wants to cut Blinn sports, which wins national championships. Keep your grubby little hands off of Blinn College, Raney (Brick too for that matter)!

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/updated-blinn-college-administrators-break-silence-speak-out-against-new/article_76378677-1590-5b02-aa07-f987e572cede.html
techno-ag
AG
You got to admit, Blinn's Bryan campus is the cash cow that makes a lot of things possible in Brenham.
lastrebel2000
If Brazos County doesn't like the way Blinn is handling things, then Brazos County needs to vote to have their own college and pay taxes on it.
carpe vinum
AG
techno-ag
AG
Sounds like Brazos Co. has no issues. Sounds like this is coming out of Austin.
jagouar1
AG
Bryan has always fought to have a say in how Blinn is run despite generating a vast majority of the money for the blinn system. Redistributing that makes sense and should happen.

That said not a huge fan of this bill since it targets blinn directly. Should be applied to ALL colleges in the state. Where the students are is where the money should go.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
If Brazos County wants a CC, then they should vote and pay for it.
and maybe residents of Washington County should pony up a little more in tax money to support their cc instead of using funds paid in Brazos County.
lastrebel2000
If that's the way it should work, then TAMU in CS needs to give some of its money away to other schools.

TAMU-CS has 6 times the number of students as TAMU-Commerce, but 9 times the revenues. So TAMU-College Station needs to share some of the wealth, so every student is equal in the TAMU system.
95_Aggie
AG
I didn't realize TAMU-CS was using tuition & fees earned at other System schools to balance its budget.
Bunk Moreland
From the comments on that article...

quote:
Many of the posters from Washington County like to wave their taxes like a battle flag. To read their posts, Blinn only exists because of their tax dollars, that their taxes keep Blinn going. Fantasy and reality are never truly the same.

From the Washington Co. Appraisal District records, the tax rate for Blinn College is 5.84 cents per $100 valuation. By contrast, the tax for Washington Co. general is 38.56 cents per $100 valuation. We can go through other taxes, but let's focuson this:

The tax rate for Blinn College is 5.84 cents per $100 valuation.

Some local college districts give us a good place to start. The Alamo College district in San Antonio is 14.9; Austin CCD is 9.42; Houston CCD is 9.7; and Lone Star is 10.81 cents per $100 valuation. Now some may cry "fowl," since these are urban districts, and that's fair. So let's look at college districts similar to Blinn in terms of their demographics: Angelina College 17.9; Kilgore College 15.4; Navarro College 12; Tyler College 19.9; Wharton College (which borders the Blinn service area) 12.65 cents per $100 valuation.

The tax rate for Blinn College is 5.84 cents per $100 valuation, less than half of the rate for taxpayers in the Navarro and Wharton districts, and a third of the rate for those in Angelina, Kilgore, and Tyler.

Plain and simple folks, your taxes are artificially low because the district relies on the revenue generated by enrollment on the Bryan campus to keep things going. Those funds have never come back in proportion to the Brazos campuses, a situation that is not sustainable.

Figured it'd be good for discussion on the thread. Y'all have at it. I'ma grab my popcorn
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
If Brazos County wants a CC, then they should vote and pay for it.
and maybe residents of Washington County should pony up a little more in tax money to support their cc instead of using funds paid in Brazos County.
Bazinga!
lastrebel2000
So what if Bryan has a surplus? Should they be disallowed from transferring to other Blinn schools?

It's a system. They aren't independent of one another. It's no different than the owner of two McDonald's transferring revenues from one location to another for repairs, maintenance, improvements, etc.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
From the comments on that article...

quote:
Many of the posters from Washington County like to wave their taxes like a battle flag. To read their posts, Blinn only exists because of their tax dollars, that their taxes keep Blinn going. Fantasy and reality are never truly the same.

From the Washington Co. Appraisal District records, the tax rate for Blinn College is 5.84 cents per $100 valuation. By contrast, the tax for Washington Co. general is 38.56 cents per $100 valuation. We can go through other taxes, but let's focuson this:

The tax rate for Blinn College is 5.84 cents per $100 valuation.

Some local college districts give us a good place to start. The Alamo College district in San Antonio is 14.9; Austin CCD is 9.42; Houston CCD is 9.7; and Lone Star is 10.81 cents per $100 valuation. Now some may cry "fowl," since these are urban districts, and that's fair. So let's look at college districts similar to Blinn in terms of their demographics: Angelina College 17.9; Kilgore College 15.4; Navarro College 12; Tyler College 19.9; Wharton College (which borders the Blinn service area) 12.65 cents per $100 valuation.

The tax rate for Blinn College is 5.84 cents per $100 valuation, less than half of the rate for taxpayers in the Navarro and Wharton districts, and a third of the rate for those in Angelina, Kilgore, and Tyler.

Plain and simple folks, your taxes are artificially low because the district relies on the revenue generated by enrollment on the Bryan campus to keep things going. Those funds have never come back in proportion to the Brazos campuses, a situation that is not sustainable.

Figured it'd be good for discussion on the thread. Y'all have at it. I'ma grab my popcorn
So... Washington Co. taxpayers are able to enjoy lower tax rates than other counties with community colleges because students in Brazos County make up the difference?

So, some counties are more equal than others I guess.
duffelpud
AG
How about just cutting the tax altogether and see what transpires?
lastrebel2000
And how much in taxes do Brazos County taxpayers pay for Blinn?

Oh wait, they enjoy ZERO taxes.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
It's no different than the owner of two McDonald's transferring revenues from one location to another for repairs, maintenance, improvements, etc.
Looks like you are a big fan of income redistribution.

In your example it sounds like the owner should close down the under-performing restaurant that doesn't earn enough to pay for it's upkeep.
techno-ag
AG
Maybe they should. Oh wait, how many taxes has Bryan given up to keep Blinn here? This is an equity thing, and Washington Co. is getting the better end of the stick, IMO.
lastrebel2000
I'm not advocating income redistribution at all. What I am referring to is an intra-organizational equity transfer. Income redistribution is taking from individuals who have and giving it to totally unrelated individuals that have not.

Techno-ag is absolutely advocating income redistribution simply because, in his liberal eyes, Brenham has it too good and should be punished thusly.
95_Aggie
AG
No one is saying Brenham should be punished. However, maybe Washington County residents should pay a little more to support their junior college without a law being passed in Austin. That way Blinn-Brenham can balance its own budget and the funds earned in Bryan can be used toward much needed improvements at the Blinn-Bryan campus.
leathal02
AG
How many Bryan/Brazos county residents would want to pay taxes for blinn is the question that should be asked. That community is getting sales tax money from all those students and aren't required to pay property taxes for a school in their county. Brazos county should pay for Brazos county and Washington county should pay for Washington. BTW, all the big wigs are in Brenham so logically money from Bryan campus would have to come to Brenham to pay for them. I am a taxpayer in Washington county and think both counties have it good, the way it is. Some dufus politician comes in to mess it up. Is there financial problems with the Bryan campus?
dgonzo99
Bryan makes a ton of money off of Blinn. Students spend a lot of money at the fast food restaurants near the campus. Plus, I see a lot of students that stop by the HEB on Villa Maria. The bigger Blinn gets here the more apartments that will be built in the city. Those students will shop locally near campus and where they live. All in all, that's why Bryan fought like a dog to get the 2nd campus on the west side. Why make a big deal now about the other taxes?
lockett93
AG
Don't all of the Bryan Blinn students pay out of district rates?
kraut
AG
From the article:

quote:
The state does not require junior colleges to prepare annual financial reports for each campus, but The Eagle obtained an estimated fiscal year 2014 financial breakout for each campus compiled by Blinn in order to get a clear picture of how money is spent.

According to the breakout, the Brenham campus would have posted a net loss of $606,722, while the Bryan campus would have totaled a net revenue of more than $10.6 million. Bryan would receive more than $15.4 million in state appropriations while Brenham would receive $3.5 million.
montegobay
The main issue here has nothing to do with tax dollars from Washington County. The main issue has to do with state funding of contact hours that comes from the tax dollars everyone pays into the state. Bryan earns most of those contact hours; however, Brenham tends to reap most of the benefits.

The actual dollar amount that goes into the overall Blinn budget from Washington County tax dollars is minuscule. The bulk of the funding comes from student tuition and contact hour funding from the state. That's what the discussion here is about. If the Bryan campus and its students are those earning the contact hour money, then that contact hour money should stay on the Bryan campus.
beefly95
Washington county and Blinn operating at a loss without the Bryan $$? there are six times more students here. Raneys is absolutely justified in wanting that funding redirected here based on the higher numbers of students and contact hours. Majority rules. The students in Bryan should reap more of the benefit. End of story.
leathal02
AG
Then it's perfectly justified to say that Brazos county needs to pay property taxes.
techno-ag
AG
The Bryan campus is underfunded. It's the cash cow, but that revenue is going back to Washington Co. It's led to artificially low CC taxes for Washington Co. residents because they're being supplemented with Brazos Co. tuition revenue.

Keep more of the tuition earned in Brazos Co. at the Bryan campus. Don't redistribute it back to the Brenham campus just because administrators there can't balance their budget and be fiscally responsible.
leathal02
AG
To an extent you are right. I would like to see what the budget goes too on each campus. I could only imagine that the president and so on is the reasoning why the budget is upside down. I would also like to see what's just being totally neglected on the Bryan campus.
leathal02
AG
I agree. It's mutually beneficial to both counties.
Bryanisbest
AG
quote:
Well, well, well. It appears your crony capitalist, state Rep. John Raney is trying to stick it to Brenham, so he can boost his book sales here. If Brazos County wants a CC, then they should vote and pay for it. Blinn has handled things really well for 100 years, and Washington Co. has been the one paying the taxes. Bryan has a nice campus and didn't have to pay any taxes to build it. Now Raney wants to cut Blinn sports, which wins national championships. Keep your grubby little hands off of Blinn College, Raney (Brick too for that matter)!

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/updated-blinn-college-administrators-break-silence-speak-out-against-new/article_76378677-1590-5b02-aa07-f987e572cede.html

Keep your grubby little comments about John Raney to yourself. He is a good man and a great representative looking out for the people of his district.
Carnwellag2
quote:
If that's the way it should work, then TAMU in CS needs to give some of its money away to other schools.

TAMU-CS has 6 times the number of students as TAMU-Commerce, but 9 times the revenues. So TAMU-College Station needs to share some of the wealth, so every student is equal in the TAMU system.
that isn't a very good educated argument. the bill proposed by Raney (if extrapolated to the A&M System) would dictate that the A&M-CS campus keep all 9 times of the revenue it generates without sharing.
AggiePirate
AG
Rename thread to Brehnam Vs. Bryan.

Also why the HELL do they get to have the better ice cream??!! Which I PAY TAXES on every time I buy it from my local grocers freezer!!
Carnwellag2
quote:
How many Bryan/Brazos county residents would want to pay taxes for blinn is the question that should be asked. That community is getting sales tax money from all those students and aren't required to pay property taxes for a school in their county. Brazos county should pay for Brazos county and Washington county should pay for Washington. BTW, all the big wigs are in Brenham so logically money from Bryan campus would have to come to Brenham to pay for them. I am a taxpayer in Washington county and think both counties have it good, the way it is. Some dufus politician comes in to mess it up. Is there financial problems with the Bryan campus?
Are you sure about this? I thought Blinn received a lot of tax breaks for locating in certain areas. While not called a CC tax; when an entity receives a tax break, the other tax paying entities certain pay to make up for it.

FlyRod
Time for CS to annex Brenham.
leathal02
AG
I don't think higher education institutions technically pay taxes aren't they tax exempt?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.