Suddenlink Internet Cap

14,388 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by CrazyAgE
marrocco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I do videos for YouTube, which sometimes involves transferring large video files filmed in Dallas or Anaheim or other distant locations via Dropbox to my machine here, which used to take days or weeks to complete. Now it takes hours, but pushes up my usage.
atm86
AG
quote:
FundAg10, do you get all your exercise jumping to conclusions?

Those prices are for RURAL internet service where it costs us much more to deliver bandwidth on a per-household basis.

Rest assured that when we launch the urban service that prices will be competitive.
How are you going to get around the College Station exclusivity agreement with Suddenlink?

If you can do that, please work on our electric next...
Stucco
quote:
I work from home & I switched to commercial to avoid the cap about a month ago. They require the $15 static ip charge. So far it seems just as fast or even faster than the 75mb residential service I had before. Supposedly they give some priority to commercial traffic, so maybe that is why.
So the commercial requires the static IP, making it $15 more each month, making the 50 / 8 service actually $90 / month?
Stucco
quote:
quote:
I just don't get it. Unless you work from home for a company that has a heavy web/video-conference presence, how do you use so much data?

I'm an IT person that works ~20% from home; I have two mobile devices, a PC, laptop, and 3 Netflix-capable devices and I use *maybe* 50GB per month.

We have a 250GB cap and no cable. All our TV watching is done streaming through Chromecast. We discovered a couple of weeks ago that Chromecast always selects the highest quality streaming available no matter what we set our streaming to on Netflix.com or Hulu. We can go over the cap with less than 3 hours of streaming a day, split between a family of 3, and very, very light internet browsing.
We noticed very high usage from our Netflix over Chromecast. I knew there was a Netflix setting about preferred quality, and I had it set to low. Turns out the setting is PER PROFILE and it was being watched from a different profile.
AggiePirate
AG
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the exclusivity applies to cable only, which still blows.
I pay about $85 for the commercial 50/8 after tax modem rental and that bs. I was told I cannot buy my own modem by the sales rep but Im gonna try anyway and get a diff person on the phone (would save 5 plus tax per bill). If you can count on anything from them its inconsistency.
atm86
AG
quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the exclusivity applies to cable only, which still blows.
I pay about $85 for the commercial 50/8 after tax modem rental and that bs. I was told I cannot buy my own modem by the sales rep but Im gonna try anyway and get a diff person on the phone (would save 5 plus tax per bill). If you can count on anything from them its inconsistency.
ANY exclusivity agreement that keeps out competition should send up the biggest red flag to everyone. Cable OR electric.

AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
ANY exclusivity agreement that keeps out competition should send up the biggest red flag to everyone. Cable OR electric.

Well yeah, its called a monopoly. And its not cool for the consumers, like us.
nickstro66
AG
I want to know how this monopoly is legal? I wonder if the city knows how many people are unhappy with Suddenlink.
WiIIiam Wallace
**** suddenlink
BCS-Ag
quote:
quote:
I work from home & I switched to commercial to avoid the cap about a month ago. They require the $15 static ip charge. So far it seems just as fast or even faster than the 75mb residential service I had before. Supposedly they give some priority to commercial traffic, so maybe that is why.
So the commercial requires the static IP, making it $15 more each month, making the 50 / 8 service actually $90 / month?

Yes, that is what I understood, but haven't got our first bill yet.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, that is what I understood, but haven't got our first bill yet.
As stated before, I actually have this package and it comes out to $85.09 per month after everything for me (internet only). It also required a 2 yr contract.
Stucco
Thank you both!
texasaggie04
AG
quote:
I contacted Suddenlink in November to request that I be notified via email when we were reaching our limit. That never happened, so I assumed we were never over our limit. I found out when I contacted them today that the service rep I talked to forgot to add my email to the notification list.

I feel like this should be the point of the thread. If they have a call logged where this was discussed and they didn't do it, I wouldn't pay. They didn't do what they were supposed to do to help you avoid going over the cap. They should say oops our error, you've been added to the list now, no charge for our mistake.
nickstro66
AG
I asked them if their mistake meant they would cover my charge. They said they do not do that for their customers.
PhiAggie
AG
I just found out our bill went up. We were paying 50/month and now they raised it to 65.

Has this happened to anyone else in the last 1-2 months?
Brewmaster
AG
quote:
The true question is how to get these awesome work from home jobs.

I do design work from home landscape/ entry ways/ irrigation etc... just moved back here from Austin. Degreed Landscape Architect, not licensed yet.

We're about to move, if mine jumps to $65 I'm shopping elsewhere. No CEO internet users here?
AggiePirate
AG
PhiAggie, this has all happened before and it will happen again. My bill goes up an average of 20 bucks a year, at a constant rate, at least you can count on something from Suddenprix. You can complain or leave.

Thx for the insight BREwmaster, I am interested to hear from more like you. All I have is a shytty business IT degree from Mays. Was allowing me to WFH at one point but muh company sold us out to skibbies.
Stucco
I fell victim to the lies. Rep called me and said 'you can add basic cable for $15/mo.' I said ok do it. My bill went from $44.80 to $80.84. That's what I get for letting them touch my account.
CrazyAgE
I called today to switch from DVR to TiVo and also asked some questions about the internet cap and how streaming affects it. I asked if I streamed one movie everyday if I would go over, and I was told "oh no, you don't have to worry about that if you do a movie everyday". I also asked if there was a way that I could check on how much I was using that way I know if I need to slow down or if I can watch more, and she told me that I can sign up for an account online and it will show me all of that info. So, I don't know if that's the account I already have, or if there is something else I need to sign up for. I guess I will ask the tech when he comes out this weekend to switch it over.
biobioprof
quote:
I called today to switch from DVR to TiVo and also asked some questions about the internet cap and how streaming affects it. I asked if I streamed one movie everyday if I would go over, and I was told "oh no, you don't have to worry about that if you do a movie everyday". I also asked if there was a way that I could check on how much I was using that way I know if I need to slow down or if I can watch more, and she told me that I can sign up for an account online and it will show me all of that info. So, I don't know if that's the account I already have, or if there is something else I need to sign up for. I guess I will ask the tech when he comes out this weekend to switch it over.
To set up the account where you can see your usage online, you need your account number and a PIN. IIRC, when I set ours up, I didn't recall having a PIN, so I had to go to the office in Bryan to get one. It was the same time that I was doing something else, so it wasn't a big deal. Once you have those, you set a username and password and an email address for reminders in case you forget your username or password. This is also what you use to get access to SECN+ on WatchESPN, so if you're an Aggie sports fan it's worth setting up (although that will increase your usage!).

When you have those, you have to drill down through "My account", "My services", and "Internet Usage" to get a popup that shows how much you've used this month. That popup has yet another set of links with daily and monthly usage graphs. I find it kind of annoying that you have to drill down so far to see the info, but it's there.
MiMi
S
To sign up for your online account, you just need your account number and Access Code, which is on your monthly statement.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
I fell victim to the lies. Rep called me and said 'you can add basic cable for $15/mo.' I said ok do it. My bill went from $44.80 to $80.84. That's what I get for letting them touch my account.

CrazyAgE
Fwiw, the lady I spoke with today also told me that if you set the definition to a middle definition and not Hi, then you will only use about a 1/3 of the usage compared to Hi-def
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Fwiw, the lady I spoke with today also told me that if you set the definition to a middle definition and not Hi, then you will only use about a 1/3 of the usage compared to Hi-def
PSA: Believe this is in regard to netflix and or other online streaming
CrazyAgE
Pirate, yes that is correct
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.