Suddenlink Internet Cap

14,355 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by CrazyAgE
nickstro66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do any other internet providers have a usage cap? Suddenlink never notified my roommates and I that we were going over our internet usage limit (which I didn't really know existed) and now we're getting penalized for it. Is this just another way for them to make money or is this common with internet providers?
techno-ag
AG
See if you can get a business account. From what I understand, there ate no caps on business accounts. Maybe more expensive, though.
rp71
Not maybe.. definitely. More money for slower speeds.
Spyderman
AG
TMobile did at one time, but they lifted mine recently.
MiMi
S
You can check your usage on the Suddenlink website. I check daily and when my family starts using a lot of our 'allowance,' I start monitoring the kids' usage, not have my husband stream shows or movies when he is home for lunch, unplug the router at night, etc. We were hitting very close to our 350 GB cap every month until my 10-yr-old gave up using her Kindle for Lent. We were nowhere close to our limit last month so I now know who and what the usage hog/device in the house is.
nickstro66
AG
I contacted Suddenlink in November to request that I be notified via email when we were reaching our limit. That never happened, so I assumed we were never over our limit. I found out when I contacted them today that the service rep I talked to forgot to add my email to the notification list.
MiMi
S
I check my usage every morning on their website. Takes less than a minute and I know exactly what we've been using (they have daily and monthly usage information).
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Do any other internet providers have a usage cap? Suddenlink never notified my roommates and I that we were going over our internet usage limit (which I didn't really know existed) and now we're getting penalized for it. Is this just another way for them to make money or is this common with internet providers?
First of all, YES it is just a way for them to get more money out of you. This man right here:

He needs more money to buy more houses with lots of closets for his ever growing collections of skeletons. He was smart to throw it into place right before things like Netflix and Amazon started to cause internet usage to go up in the common home. He's just copying the bigger companies. Time Warner tried to implement this in Austin and the community raged so they had to pull back. Suddenlink just knows they can get away with it here so they do it.

Other places that cap include wireless carriers like Verizon ATT and T-Mobile, although TMobile's is a soft cap in that you are slowed down to crap speed when you reach the cap, and yes they do remove that for some customers or those that buy an ' unlimited ' data plan, as do Verizon and ATT for a price.

You can indeed get ' commercial ' internet from Suddenlink and it will not be at slow speeds. I have a commercial internet account only. No TV no phone, I pay a little over 80 bucks after tax and I had to sign a CONTRACT (2 yrs of 50 Mbps uncapped). But since they run a monopoly the contract does not scare me.

I am looking forward to the next thing they decide to limit, such as hours per month we are allowed to watch TV (for those that still pay for that from Suddenprix). As that is the same thing as all of a ' Sudden ' limiting the amount that we use the same internet we paid for before.

Suddenlink has a sweet deal going here and that is not going to change unless we either legally pave the way govern-mentally to create our own city supplied fiber or get Google or another substantial competitor's attention.

Rossy
One of your roommates is probably being forgetful. We went over our usage cap with Suddenlink in January and I was redirected to a Suddenlink page that made me verify that I went over my cap. IIRC I had to type my account number in to restore access to the wider interwebs. Maybe y'all slipped through the cracks though.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
You can indeed get ' commercial ' internet from Suddenlink and it will not be at slow speeds. I have a commercial internet account only. No TV no phone, I pay a little over 80 bucks after tax and I had to sign a CONTRACT (2 yrs of 50 Mbps uncapped). But since they run a monopoly the contract does not scare me.
Good to know.
redd38
AG
quote:
Do any other internet providers have a usage cap?

yes they do
AggiePirate
AG
Verizon DSl doesnt, but its a hell of a ripoff for shyt speed. I was just about to check into CEO here or Brazos Wifi. In fact I do not believe BrazosWifi or CEO caps. Please correct me if I am wrong BrazosWifi.
BrazosWifi
We don't cap.

We have many customers running 400+GB a month.

We are also about to start serving in town. I am waiting on some paperwork to come through and I will post a thread with details.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
AggiePirate
FundAg10
AG
Charter Internet in DFW doesn't cap. 60 mbps for $40/month without bundling.

Also, this thread is case in point why net neutrality is not a bad thing.
FundAg10
AG
quote:
We don't cap.

We have many customers running 400+GB a month.

We are also about to start serving in town. I am waiting on some paperwork to come through and I will post a thread with details.

Before you guys sign up, look at the sustained speed rates on those packages. That's what you'll be paying for. "Burst speed" means nothing.

$100/month for 6 mbps. Wow.
Stucco
They recently started selling extra bandwidth in advance of needing it, separate from a plan. So now you can get the lowest plan but increase your cap. But the addl bandwidth costs more than the initial bandwidth.

For all those upset about the Suddenlink caps - call them, write them. Let them know it is unacceptable to increase speeds without increasing caps.
nickstro66
AG
I feel like their internet cap is a good way to take advantage of college students
starbuck128
AG
quote:
One of your roommates is probably being forgetful. We went over our usage cap with Suddenlink in January and I was redirected to a Suddenlink page that made me verify that I went over my cap. IIRC I had to type my account number in to restore access to the wider interwebs. Maybe y'all slipped through the cracks though.

We've gone over our cap twice and neither time did I receive an email or was I directed to a website notifying me. If I hadn't check our previous month's usage numbers on a hunch I wouldn't have known. I looked back over our old paper bills and on the bill for the first overage there was a one sentence notification buried in a non related paragraph. No notice on the bill for the second overage.
BrazosWifi
FundAg10, do you get all your exercise jumping to conclusions?

Those prices are for RURAL internet service where it costs us much more to deliver bandwidth on a per-household basis.

Rest assured that when we launch the urban service that prices will be competitive.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
cz308
What is the "overage" fee from suddenlink? We haven't gone over yet, so I'm just wondering.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
What is the "overage" fee from suddenlink? We haven't gone over yet, so I'm just wondering.
If you are curious what the email looks like..here it is! Don't judge me...I work from home 50+ hours each week so internet is essential in my world. I go over constantly every single month but I don't have any other options.

As of approximately 11:59 p.m. CT on 03/28/2015, your Internet account had used 420 GB in the current monthly billing period, exceeding the monthly allowance of 400 GB. Your monthly allowance will now be increased in installments of 50 GB at a cost of $10 per installment, to be charged on your next bill. (We waived such charges on the first two monthly overages recorded on your account since our current plan was put into place.)If you wish to change how you receive these notifications in the future, please log in to your online account at Suddenlink.net; choose "My Account," then "Online Tools," then "View Internet Usage," and then "Update Notification Preference." If you do not yet have an online account with us, visit Suddenlink.net and follow the registration instructions provided there. When complete, choose "Online Tools," then "View Internet Usage," and then "Update Notification Preference."
If you have questions about Suddenlink's allowance plan, please visit this Web page: http://www.suddenlink.com/allowanceplan.
marrocco
AggieWIfe,

I received the following from Suddenlink after I mentioned not recommending them because of data caps. You might find it useful as well. (As a new customer, I'm waiting to see what my actually monthly usage is going to look like before deciding whether or not to switch.)

Good Morning,

Thank you for being a valued Suddenlink residential customer. I'm emailing in regards to possibly converting your Residential Class Data service to Business Class. Please give me a call back at your convenience.

You currently have our Residential 150 meg data for $75.00 + tax.

Below are our Business Class speeds that you can convert to: *No trip required for Upgrade conversion
50m / 8m speed = $74.95
75m / 10m speed = $299.95
150m / 10m speed = $349.95
*Unlimited usage, No Cap
*Wifi = +$10.00
*Static IP = $15.00
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
AggieWIfe,

I received the following from Suddenlink after I mentioned not recommending them because of data caps. You might find it useful as well. (As a new customer, I'm waiting to see what my actually monthly usage is going to look like before deciding whether or not to switch.)

Good Morning,

Thank you for being a valued Suddenlink residential customer. I'm emailing in regards to possibly converting your Residential Class Data service to Business Class. Please give me a call back at your convenience.

Below are our Business Class speeds that you can convert to: *No trip required for Upgrade conversion
50m / 8m speed = $74.95
*Unlimited usage, No Cap
*Wifi = +$10.00
*Static IP = $15.00
Interesting!

We pay $162 a month for phone, internet, and TV. Our internet is the 50.0, 107m Speed Boost so it seems like I would have to pay a lot more money. Unless I am reading it wrong!

Suddenlink's speed is great but my two problems are the caps and my internet cuts out CONSTANTLY. Which is super frustrating because I have a Vonage phone for my office and when I talk to clients, it will cut out.
After going over on our Suddenlink residential plan a couple of times, I switched to the business plan. No more limits. I pay about $5 more per month on the internet (assuming no overrages which was happening all too often) and then I pay about $15 more per month on the cable tv, which had been bundled with the the residential internet. So, I feel it works out fine as I don't have to monitor the family's internet usage any longer.

I might even dump the Suddenlink cable and go straight for netflix and amazon prime offerings. Maybe.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:
AggieWIfe,

Good Morning,

50m / 8m speed = $74.95
*Unlimited usage, No Cap
*Wifi = +$10.00
*Static IP = $15.00
Interesting!

We pay $162 a month for phone, internet, and TV. Our internet is the 50.0, 107m Speed Boost so it seems like I would have to pay a lot more money. Unless I am reading it wrong!

Suddenlink's speed is great but my two problems are the caps and my internet cuts out CONSTANTLY. Which is super frustrating because I have a Vonage phone for my office and when I talk to clients, it will cut out.
You're reading it wrong.

It's 50 Mbps Download & 8 Mbps Upload on the speed for $74.95/month with unlimited usage.

You don't have 50 Mbps Down and 107 Mbps Up. I'm not sure what your 107 number is.
BCS-Ag
I work from home & I switched to commercial to avoid the cap about a month ago. They require the $15 static ip charge. So far it seems just as fast or even faster than the 75mb residential service I had before. Supposedly they give some priority to commercial traffic, so maybe that is why.
AggiePirate
AG
The true question is how to get these awesome work from home jobs.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I work from home & I switched to commercial to avoid the cap about a month ago. They require the $15 static ip charge. So far it seems just as fast or even faster than the 75mb residential service I had before. Supposedly they give some priority to commercial traffic, so maybe that is why.
It definitely seems like those with high usage should switch to the commercial plan, based on all the responses here.
AggieJason
AG
I just don't get it. Unless you work from home for a company that has a heavy web/video-conference presence, how do you use so much data?

I'm an IT person that works ~20% from home; I have two mobile devices, a PC, laptop, and 3 Netflix-capable devices and I use *maybe* 50GB per month.
biobioprof
quote:
I just don't get it. Unless you work from home for a company that has a heavy web/video-conference presence, how do you use so much data?

I'm an IT person that works ~20% from home; I have two mobile devices, a PC, laptop, and 3 Netflix-capable devices and I use *maybe* 50GB per month.
This. Unless your work from home job is reviewing streaming videos.
MiMi
S
We are a family of 5 (4 cell phones, 3 Kindles, 3 laptops) and will use about 200 GB per month on average. We have a 350 GB cap and have come very close to it a couple of times recently.
jrhmc
AG
We're a family of 4 with 3 serious gamers and 1 part-time gamer as well as Amazon Prime, 3 smart phones, 5 computers, 4 console systems, and 2 tablets. We consistently go over the 350 mark. I've just given up at this point and pay the extra $10.
starbuck128
AG
quote:

We have a 250GB cap and no cable. All our TV watching is done streaming through Chromecast. We discovered a couple of weeks ago that Chromecast always selects the highest quality streaming available no matter what we set our streaming to on Netflix.com or Hulu. We can go over the cap with less than 3 hours of streaming a day, split between a family of 3, and very, very light internet browsing.
Rapier108
You can up your cap to 400GB or 600GB (maybe more but I didn't ask if there was higher caps available). Of course it does cost more, but if you're a heavy user, then it will keep you from going over each month.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.