Internet

5,093 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by UmustBKidding
understandingmom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you do not have a home phone, how do YOU get internet at your house? I live in the city limits of CS.
sangria
AG
We live in the city limits and use Suddenlink for internet. We don't have a home phone. I use my own modem and router instead of renting from Suddenlink. Our monthly bill is around $47.

If you go with Suddenlink for internet only, be prepared to receive a solicitation letter/offer/postcard at least once a week about adding tv and phone services.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
If you go with Suddenlink for internet only, be prepared to receive a solicitation letter/offer/postcard at least once a week about adding tv and phone services.
Also if you do have all of their services.
susieq30
We have only internet service with Suddenlink, no home phone and Dish for cable. We rarely get offers from Suddenlink.
91_Aggie
AG
i don't have Suddenlink for anything and I get at least 2 pieces of mail every week from Suddenlink.
understandingmom
quote:
i don't have Suddenlink for anything and I get at least 2 pieces of mail every week from Suddenlink.

Can you share what you do have, If you have internet. Thanks
TXlily80
Skybeam....$65 (total w/ taxes and fees) per month unlimited. I think it was $100 installation fee plus you have to buy your own router.

http://www.skybeam.com/residential/pricing-plans-texas/
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:

Can you share what you do have, If you have internet. Thanks
crappy verizon DSL... likely going back to Suddenlink soon since the prices are now comparable with Verizon but for much faster speeds.
Spyderman
AG
TMobile broadband connect service. Seen as high as 12Mbps with an outdoor antenna. Grandfathered in to a very nice 43.00/mo rate. LIve out near speedway.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Skybeam....$65 (total w/ taxes and fees) per month unlimited. I think it was $100 installation fee plus you have to buy your own router.

Good luck. This is truly the worst company I've ever done business with. If it works you're fine but if it goes down you'll find they are poorly staffed to fix problems and it might take weeks to get them to to your house. I'm not exaggerating. I really haven't dealt with anyone worse.
DBSwooper
quote:
quote:

Good luck. This is truly the worst company I've ever done business with. If it works you're fine but if it goes down you'll find they are poorly staffed to fix problems and it might take weeks to get them to to your house. I'm not exaggerating. I really haven't dealt with anyone worse.
Second that experience. Horrible absolutely horrible customer service. I didn't think Suddenlink's service and customer skills could be topped by someone who did it worse, but I was proven wrong when I went with Skybeam. Staggeringly bad. I seriously can not say enough bad things about this company.
FundAg10
AG
I wonder when people will start realizing that speeds like 12 mbps are insanely slow.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
I wonder when people will start realizing that speeds like 12 mbps are insanely slow.

Probably when it starts to affect them... With my Verizon, which is about 8mbs on a good day, I can be on an online game while we have Netflix streaming on two or three other devices and it doesn't affect anything.

It may be "slow" compared to 50mbs, but for most people it works for their needs.
Average Joe
AG
quote:

Not everyone is a power user. "Insanely" is not even close to the word I would use, especially when Suddenlink just recently upped their service from 15mb/s to 50mb/s. I doubt many people had issues with 15mb/s.
dgonzo99
I have Suddenlink wifi for my laptop. For my tablet, I can get cellular coverage ala carte. I only pay about 15 dollars for that a month through ATT. I can also get wifi with the tablet too.
InMyOpinion
suddenlink - 1gb speeds coming soon
AggiePirate
AG
Cap met in 3.7 mins.
FundAg10
AG
U.S. average speed is 34.4 mbps. So, yes, I'd call 12 Mbps in the second most populated state, insanely slow.

You may not be a "power user" now, but most will be unless they're kicking the bucket in 5 years.
91_Aggie
AG
Your original post referenced was "know-it-all" condescending toned post

I would say online gaming and streaming Netflix/Prime on 2 or 3 devices is more than most people are doing. Netflix/Prime are displaying in the HD level of performance

Again. It's about 8MBS from verIzon.

Now if I had 3 college roommates and some of them were torrenting or all playing games then it might be a problem

so it may be slow in the same way that an SUV is slower than a Corvette, but you really can't drive that Corvette faster than the SUV in most instances.
Average Joe
AG
quote:
U.S. average speed is 34.4 mbps. So, yes, I'd call 12 Mbps in the second most populated state, insanely slow.

You may not be a "power user" now, but most will be unless they're kicking the bucket in 5 years.
Average speed provided =/= speed needed or used.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:

Again. It's about 8 Mbps* from Verizon.

Sorry but 8 MB would equal roughly 64 Mbps (important not to confuse byte and bit) and even getting 8 I would think would likely be an over statement compared to what most customers get such as my folks (they barely ever make it to 7 Mbps with Verizon). But if you do see 8 with Verizon by all means I would say stay with them and enjoy not having a cap.

I do want to add that I hope that you do not take any sort of condescending tone from this post as none was intended and you already seem kind of pissed.
Expert Analysis
AG
I get 13-14 Mbps with verizon dsl, plenty fast for my usage. Upload stinks but I don't upload much.
AggiePirate
AG
Do you have to pay for super burst speed?
Brewmaster
AG
any CEO users? Looks like you can also bundle Direct TV through them.

Looking to dump Suddenstink from both tv and internet.
bubba_joe
Live outside of DSL & Cable, tethering the cell phone 15Mbps & use 300+ MB I'm on a Verizon unlimited plan. Have used Texas Communications broadband out of Bryan & they were good.
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Live outside of DSL & Cable, tethering the cell phone 15Mbps & use 300+ MB I'm on a Verizon unlimited plan. Have used Texas Communications broadband out of Bryan & they were good.

Texas Communications sold to Skybeam which is just simply awful at the Internet part of being an Internet Service Provider. It's unfortunate but it's true.
PhiAggie
AG
I just found out our bill went up. We were paying 50/month and now they raised it to 65.

Has this happened to anyone else in the last 1-2 months?
AggiePirate
AG
Yes PhiAggie, as mentioned in the other thread this happens every year, about 20 bucks increase. Surprised you have not seen before, I consider you lucky for that.
AggieJason
AG
I have Suddenlink internet + expanded basic cable. $110/mo. Bill went up $8 this month from last.
AggiePirate
AG
Someone's gotta pay for all of these ' free ' upgrades. Even in years there are no upgrades.

Edit: Oh wait the government already did...
UmustBKidding
CEO is fine, but if Sudden link is available then they really are not the solution.
Their highest tier is going to be less capable than Sudden Links lowest tier. I fully embrace the SL hate but I would not ever consider changing for that much less service over my hate.

While I am not a fan of SL this is the order of selection
Sudden Link
WildStar (limited availability)
Verizon DSL
Brazos Wifi
CEO
CyberCom

(expensive)
Cellular (VZW, TMob, ATT, SPrint)

(if you have to have access and nothing else is available)
Exceed/WB, Hughes Net

(if you want incentive to kill something or someone)
SkyBeam

(If cost is not an issue and are willing to build your own)
Pulkco
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.