CSISD Buses

11,160 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by lightswitch
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've been having issues with the bus picking up my kids late.
Their bus came at 8:25am today. Excuse is that employees are calling in sick and or just not showing up.

Anyone else having trouble?
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
We actually have had issues anytime there is a substitute driver. Once they forgot to pick my son up entirely and another time they forgot to drop him off, and he had to direct them back to our house after they'd left the neighborhood. He's 9 by the way.
CSTXmom
Yes. There have been a couple days that I'm not even sure the bus ever came because once it was 20 minutes late, we couldn't wait anymore. It's been 20 minutes early before (for a 7:20 pickup) and not waited for the kids as well. I've called transportation services and I know my neighbors have too. We've all been told the same thing about sick drivers, etc.
Tailgate88
AG
If our route has a sub, the bus is 15 minutes late, every time. It's hard to understand how they can't follow a map...
Look Out Below
AG
I've seen them illegally cross double yellow lines on Fitch where Eagle dead ends. Might be quicker but still not legal -- and frankly quite stupid while driving a big busload of children.
ksp
quote:
I've seen them illegally cross double yellow lines on Fitch where Eagle dead ends. Might be quicker but still not legal -- and frankly quite stupid while driving a big busload of children.
Take picture, forward to the head of bus drivers.
BCSMom
Call and talk to the director, Caleb Williams. My daughter's elementary bus has had a sub in the AM for a few weeks now. Bus is supposed to come around 705am. It's been coming about 715. Today it came around 750. Kids were roaming the neighborhood not knowing what was going on. Talked to another supervisor today and they are "supposed" to be correcting the problem.
Vulcan
Bus service is unsatisfactory. I very rarely call, but when I did call recently (4:25pm & kids weren't even picked up from school yet) they said they are very short-handed. Maybe misamanagement? Hire more subs!
Vulcan
5:54pm update: just saw bus 140 and 174 on Arrington Road. Some kiddos are sure getting home late!
Oogway
Tutorials bus, perhaps?
Rapier108
Every morning there is a bus which stops on Spring Loop for a good 10-20 minutes with its lights on. It backs up traffic, sometimes 20-30+ cars and it can even spread to Lincoln if one person decides to wait forever in the right lane to go straight, leaving everyone who wants to turn right stuck.

No clue why this bus stops for that long, but it really creates a mess.
InMyOpinion
quote:

Are you sure? Last I checked double yellow lines indicate passing is not allowed but you can legally turn left. Unless it is 2 sets of double yellow lines to create a center median, which might be the case there since that is near where Fitch splits/comes together depending on which way you are driving.

I would definitely report that.
Look Out Below
AG
'Unless it is 2 sets of double yellow lines to create a center median'

It is as you stated and I saw it happen again this morning. Was too far away from the intersection to get a good picture as the bus was turning left onto Fitch when I turned onto Eagle.
AggiePirate
AG
It makes you stop and wonder what happened to the quality professionals we have historically hired to drive our school buses. What happened?
TXTransplant
We had similar problems TWO years ago when my son rode the bus for a short period of time. I voiced concern back then. It's a shame that not only have the problems not been resolved, but seem to be worse.
MiMi
S
quote:
Yes, this is correct. It is a marked median. Haven't seen the school bus do it but I see many cars make that illegal left turn. We need CSPD to camp out at that location when the busses are running.
FlyRod
quote:
It makes you stop and wonder what happened to the quality professionals we have historically hired to drive our school buses. What happened?

Otto from The Simpsons?
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:

Otto from The Simpsons?
Close, was thinking more like:

birdman
Our bus driver just shows up when he feels like it. Sometimes early, sometimes late. He could be +/- 10 minutes on any given day.
Roc96
AG
quote:

Years ago I drove a route for a district in the Brazos Valley in addition to being a full time teacher for said district. The problem is the lofty expectations that transportation administration has for bus drivers. It's so difficult to have historical behavior management methods no longer available, yet still be able to foresee the perils of the roadways, simultaneously managing the behavior of 30-50 kids. These kids are often rowdy, loud, disrespectful of adults, bully-ish, and sharing very inaccurate information about human reproduction with other kids. For $13.00 per hour, the bus driver is responsible for all of this. It was no longer worth the hassle for me, and it's not worth it for many others, too.

I remember as a kid, I exclaimed, "Damn!" My driver pulled over, wrote the referral, paddled me, and talked to me about displaying appropriate behavior on the bus. I never did it again. Nowadays, kids are permitted to show extremely poor behavior, but the districts must let kids ride. No bus, no kid at school. No kid at school, lower ADA. Low ADA, less state funding. Schools chase the money.
AggiePirate
AG
Thx for shedding some light, Roc.
Look Out Below
AG
Have they ever thought about hiring an adult or teacher (or coach) to simply sit on the bus to deal with behavioral issues?

When I grew up the teachers were also the bus drivers, though it was a smaller school district.
duffelpud
AG
aggiepaintrain
AG
7:50 TODAY
aggiepaintrain
AG
Early release at 1:30pm, bus just arrived 2:25pm.

chisosmike
The only way to fix this problem is to give the superintendent a large salary increase and also increase his expense account.
Mr. Griswold
quote:
quote:
Yes, this is correct. It is a marked median. Haven't seen the school bus do it but I see many cars make that illegal left turn. We need CSPD to camp out at that location when the busses are running.

It's called a painted gore or a gore zone and there is not a law in Texas specifically prohibiting driving on it (unless perhaps the outer boundaries of it consist of double white lines, which they do not at this particular location).
Look Out Below
AG
Bus 116 did it again this morning around 7:40. There's no way that's a legal turn.
MiMi
S
quote:
It's called a painted gore or a gore zone and there is not a law in Texas specifically prohibiting driving on it (unless perhaps the outer boundaries of it consist of double white lines, which they do not at this particular location).
This particular area is considered a 'flush median.' It has double yellow lines on both sides and diagonal hash markings in between. This indicates it has the same purpose and function as a physical traffic island and are legally enforceable as a "dividing space."
oklaunion
quote:
Every morning there is a bus which stops on Spring Loop for a good 10-20 minutes with its lights on. It backs up traffic, sometimes 20-30+ cars and it can even spread to Lincoln if one person decides to wait forever in the right lane to go straight, leaving everyone who wants to turn right stuck.

No clue why this bus stops for that long, but it really creates a mess.
I doubted you when you wrote this but encountered it today at about the halfway point on Spring Loop. Bus had actually pulled over against the curb with emergency flashers on as well as the blinking red lights. Had traffic backed up to University. Finally turned them off and walked back thru the bus as drivers were allowed to pass.
Rapier108
quote:
I doubted you when you wrote this but encountered it today at about the halfway point on Spring Loop. Bus had actually pulled over against the curb with emergency flashers on as well as the blinking red lights. Had traffic backed up to University. Finally turned them off and walked back thru the bus as drivers were allowed to pass.
Yep, that's what it does every single day. Even though it is parked along the curb, it still turns on its lights an blocks traffic.

Not really sure what could take as long as it does for it to be sitting there for that long each day. It cannot take 20 minutes to get a few kids at most onto the bus. I've never been able to get close enough to see what they're actually doing. Now I just go a different way and avoid Spring Loop all together.
Capt Dan
AG
quote:
quote:
Yep, that's what it does every single day. Even though it is parked along the curb, it still turns on its lights an blocks traffic.

Not really sure what could take as long as it does for it to be sitting there for that long each day. It cannot take 20 minutes to get a few kids at most onto the bus. I've never been able to get close enough to see what they're actually doing. Now I just go a different way and avoid Spring Loop all together.

I believe that bus picks up a handicapped passenger. Has to load the wheelchair and get her strapped in.
carpe vinum
AG
You can set your watch by the ones I encounter every morning, but they need to stay off the highway. 15mph under the speed limit on 6 is just dangerous.
Frio Cielo
If the drivers were paid more than $12 per hour they probably would get better service and not have to need to use as many subs. How many hours do they drive a day? Four? By the time taxes and SS and what ever other deductions are taken out of the pay per day, the driver is making about $30/day or $150 per week? With that, I suspect you will always have a significant turnover rate.

A bus driver is driving 30 or more children, a very valuable cargo to parents, on the roads often in congested areas with a high risk of accidents. I would think they should get paid more.

And, no I am not a bus driver and never have been.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I believe that bus picks up a handicapped passenger. Has to load the wheelchair and get her strapped in.
Don't interject facts into the outrage, Cap'n.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.