PSA from Rio Brazos Audubon Society: baby birds

1,256 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by agfan1030
Yellowstone2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As we've moved into the spring season, you may have started to notice lots more bird activity- singing, fighting, and nest building. At some point, you may come across nests with baby birds in it or fledgling birds trying to figure out how to use their wings. We at Rio Brazos Audubon Society have prepared a brief GUIDE TO BABY BIRDS to help everyone better assess the situation.

Lots of times, baby birds get away from the nest a little earlier than they should. They will eventually find shelter- usually under a bush or in some brush pile- and will still be cared for by their parents. Try to resist the urge to intervene unless the baby bird is visibly injured or it's at risk for cat/dog predation. If they're in danger, gently move them to a sheltered area and keep pets out of the area for a few days if possible.

Thanks for your help!

==============================
Rio Brazos Audubon- riobrazosaudubon.org
Texas Master Naturalist- Brazos Valley Chapter - txmn.org/brazos
momlaw
AG
Great to know. Thanks
Brewmaster
AG
thanks for the post

for anyone looking to attract or feed cardinals without feeding squirrels: Safflower Seed. They love it. I also get chickadees and when the weather gets cold a wren or 2. Walmart carries it and I think sometimes HEB has it.
Yellowstone2010
That's some good advice BREw. We use a long baffle in the middle of the pole to deter our squirrels. I've been defeated many a time by home made remedies, although others have had better luck than me. I always seem to have the high achieving squirrels in my yard.

RBAS has a Backyard Birding page with a few tips and hints to spruce up your yard to attract more birds. Food, water, shelter, and native plants!
dachsie
A few years ago some spring storms knocked some baby blue jays into my back yard. One of my dogs was ill and not doing much outside but the other one was so I would watch them when they went out. One day i didnt see one of the baby birds and the dog before they were nose to beak and heard the mama bluejay squawking. i swooped in and grabbed the dog just as the mama bluejay was swooping. A few days later another rainstorm hit and two of the bluejays were swept into the neighbors yard with no dogs and one drowned. I was glad they got moved to the next yard tho.
agfan1030
This is a product I like especially in warm/hot weather. (The birds like it, too.)

It is not messy like the regular suet blocks.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.