Traffic cluster-fecta today?

2,485 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggiePirate
BCS-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did anyone else witness the traffic mess this morning on west campus? It took us nearly 90 minutes to get from University & Wellborn to the Easter Egg hunt at the GB Library.

We've been for several years and the event is big enough that we knew to expect to have to park and walk. However, this is the first time I have seen the Big Event parking and staging nearby (which is a huge and awesome event in it's own right!). It didn't help the situation any that there was a high school band convention thing at Reed, complete with big bus/trailer combinations trying to navigate to where they needed to go.

There were some parking cops/directors out there, but they were woefully unprepared for the traffic trying to get to multiple event locations, let alone deal with the opposing pedestrian herds of pitchfork bearing students and double wide stroller bearing soccer moms competing to cross at intersections. I directly witnessed the "officers" getting angry and yelling at drivers to turn away from their intended destinations, despite there being plenty of space in the lots.

I think a lot of families gave up and went home as the Easter event appeared to draw significantly smaller crowds than previous years. That said it was still fun and my son loved the fact that the bounce houses and other activities had shorter lines than normal.

Anyway, I didn't know who to complain to directly, but I hope someone in the leadership of the right entity sees this and forces some coordination and better planning between these equally deserving and important events next year!

Kate Beckett
AG
Don't forget the baseball game that happened today as well.
redd38
AG
baseball game would have been after all that mess. I was over there for the soccer game at noon and traffic was fine by then
ChrisV96
AG
I tried to take my kids to the egg hunt and gave up. (So I had 2 very unhappy kids in the car.) 2818, George Bush and Welborn were all parking lots. There was a barricade up at the entrance to the Bush Library and no one around to give directions for parking. We were going to try parking at Reed, but all the side streets were clogged as well. It was just poor planning to have all three events at essentially the same time.
starbuck128
AG
We were stuck in traffic for 2 hours trying to get to the Easter Egg hunt. Eventually my son and I got out and walked the rest of the way. It was an hour later before my husband got to a parking spot. Most of the traffic seemed to be for Big Event. Very poor planning.
Chazz03
AG
Big event
AggieAces06
AG
Agreed. We gave up after an hour and a half. We just wanted Easter bunny pictures, but I guess I will be going to the mall for those.
Post removed:
by user
AggiePirate
AG
It really seemed like everyone involved in planning these events thought someone else was handling the decision of what event should happen when. I even saw the traffic advisory on Thursday and thought what a horrible idea it was to have the Big Event parking not only on the same day but in the same area as the Easter Egg Hunt. I will say that if you were able to make it in time for the hunt that you probably had a better experience than most years simply because over half of the crowd was still stuck in traffic or had given up. It was truly an experience. It was like being on Westheimer at 5 PM on a Tuesday and all traffic lights are broken but there are traffic directors who don't know where to point or for how long. Luckily at the end of the day I live in BCS.

quote:
We just wanted Easter bunny pictures

For AggieAces06:

AggieAces06
AG
Thank pirate. But I meant I wanted pictures of my four month old with the Easter bunny...
AggiePirate
AG
Ah, checked and I don't have any of those. Sry.
aggiegal99
There were also several big FFA events around the west campus area.
AggiePirate
AG
Why not at that point right?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.