Which COCS idiot permits loud music at 8am on Northgate?

3,781 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TLIAC
C XX I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I live nearly a mile away, 3 stories up with multiple large buildings between me and Northgate, and I was woken up by blaring techno music genuinely shaking my bed this morning. When asked to turn it down, they said they had a permit and actually turned the music louder.
AgResearch
AG
The sun is up at 8am right?
justalocal
Was it an individual or an event? You can still call the law regardless.
C XX I
There's a bar on ng blaring music as they clean. I assumed it was them and asked them to turn it down some. Got that crappy response. Upon returning home I can still kind of hear them, but it's clear now that the main music is Big Event. Oh well.

InMyOpinion
quote:
I live nearly a mile away, 3 stories up with multiple large buildings between me and Northgate, and I wake woken up by blaring techno music genuinely shaking my bed this morning. When asked to turn it down, they said they had a permit and actually turned the music louder.

did you tell them you took 3 flights of stairs and travelled a mile just to ask them to turn the music down
C XX I
Uphill both ways!
AggiePirate
AG
Did a google on it, think this is your man:

biobioprof
quote:
So what? I hope the inventor of the subwoofer burns in hell.
AgResearch
AG
quote:
quote:
For music coming from Big Event??
biobioprof
quote:
quote:
quote:
For music coming from Big Event??
Yes.

I am OK with there being music for the big event, but it does NOT need to be THAT LOUD. Even when people have permits, there should be SOME consideration for others. And when a neighbor asks for it to be turned down, the correct answer is "Sorry, we will turn it down", not "We have a permit so F U".
C XX I
The big event music was apparently interrupting competition at the Hildebrand center. That's ridiculous.
techno-ag
AG
College students and their dang exuberance!
AggiePirate
AG
At Northgate no less.
capn-mac
This is exactly what happens when the citizens do not demand a monorail!
dgonzo99
I am usually up by 4:30am. I probably would have joined the party.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
For all of you complaining, the students working big event thought the music was unnecessary as well. The whole thing was a mess tbh. Took me an hour to get from 6&university to research park.
C XX I
The traffic was thanks to the absolutely horrendous method in which tool pickup and return was handled. 2 lanes of vehicles at a time thanks to it being at Research Park.
Capt Dan
AG
From what I understand, the permit does not give you unlimited volume, just prevents an immediate ticket when someone complains.
Tim Weaver
As one who makes a living doing audio for concerts, I will enlighten those who think this is a problem.

COCS does not have a DEFINED noise ordinance. Basically if you call the popo, they have to show up and address the problem. They will then use THEIR judgement to see if you have a valid complaint or not. So it's really a gamble when you call the police as to who "wins". In this situation, with the community respect that Big Event garners, I guess you would lose. If it truly was a NG bar jamming out while cleaning, you would win.

Basically, in this city, noise is noise. I could have called and complained about the Vietnam-era Huey flying circles over my house yesterday, but I didn't. Because it is a special event and will be done in a day. Then you can get along with your life and get back to talking to your 53 cats.....
Scruffy
ksp
quote:
As one who makes a living doing audio for concerts, I will enlighten those who think this is a problem.

COCS does not have a DEFINED noise ordinance. Basically if you call the popo, they have to show up and address the problem. They will then use THEIR judgement to see if you have a valid complaint or not. So it's really a gamble when you call the police as to who "wins". In this situation, with the community respect that Big Event garners, I guess you would lose. If it truly was a NG bar jamming out while cleaning, you would win.

Basically, in this city, noise is noise. I could have called and complained about the Vietnam-era Huey flying circles over my house yesterday, but I didn't. Because it is a special event and will be done in a day. Then you can get along with your life and get back to talking to your 53 cats.....
Independent or work for some one?
ksp
NM see you are an independent
Tim Weaver
Freelance, although I do have a small amount of gear to do production with. I can typically handle club shows in the 1500 capacity range, or outdoors in the 800-1000 neighborhood. I've done a pretty good amount of fundraisers and private party events as well.

I tour full time now with a Texas band and don't have as much time for production work. I do however have a good crew that can handle most anything. In fact, I have a rodeo/dance on friday and a 5k run on saturday that two of my guys are handling...

If you are needing AV/concert production shoot me an email. tim (at) weaver imaging (dot) com
TLIAC
AG
I thought the Big Event Kick Off (equipment pick up/etc.) was held in research park? If that is the case then that is TAMU property - not COCS. Students didn't arrive on their jobs in the community until after 10:00 AM. If the Northgate establishment had their music blaring at 8:00 AM while they cleaned that sounds like a strange reason for a permit to me?? Not really a special event?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.