chemical mowing

1,630 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Tex Aggie
Tex Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
what say you now, a year after the fact? I'd say it worked effectively and did what was intended. Brush encroachment was stopped, grass has grown back thicker. That's what it's like on my road.

flame away tree huggers
O.G.
No tree hugger here. It was ugly to look at then, don't want it back now.
Tex Aggie
AG
but did it work? ugly then yes. killing plants make them dead and brown. but what about now?
DBSwooper
quote:
but did it work? ugly then yes. killing plants make them dead and brown. but what about now?
Significant lack of wildflowers and the grass still looks like crap.
AgDotCom
Not in favor of it at all.

No grass / vegetation in ditches = erosion. This not only compromises drainage, but the erosion will migrate to private property eventually.

The unsightly results and the collateral damage are secondary, and they're bad enough.

Better to mow the ditch / trim the bushes and trees, even if more expensive.
JPTC08
AG
Not to mention all of the trees it killed on my property because they sprayed it on a windy day!
SARATOGA
It was a complete failure.

Weeds grew back strong in ditches.

Killed a bunch of trees that county had to come back and cut down.

Killed a bunch of trees inside my fence also.

It was foolish, several people told them so, and they won't be doing it again.

Mowing brush with vertical shredders is way better.
originaltexan
It doesn't matter.

Each week/month, I see some type of new development. The BIG bulldozers are the first thing. Anything with a stem or trunk is bulldozed. Size/Age doesn't matter.

Beautiful oak trees, who cares! Doze em'!

Soon, this town will look like most parts of Austin or Houston.

I am starting to see creek beds filled with concrete chunks and dirt to get more square footage. RAIN needs somewhere to flow...

FYI, there was a recent A&M study that talked about Houston's great ability to flood .

http://today.tamu.edu/2015/03/03/watch-out-ny-houston-floods-could-be-headed-your-way/
Tim Weaver
FlyRod
I've always been curious as to where those on this board who crow the loudest in favor of unrestricted growth live. Most likely in the areas immune from its negative impact.
Yuccadoo
They didn't spray where they needed it, then killed a 30' tall by 150' long 25 year old hedge I planted that was 30' off the roads edge and 10' inside my property line...not on county ROW and had nothing to do with sight line on a straight road. It killed it so it is not coming back. They killed rows of junipers my neighbor planted that were at least 10' inside his propery line and had nothing to do with county maintenance or a sight line on a straight road. Total FN idiots.

They should come pay me damages.

I live in western Brazos County.

They also dumped huge rock in an area below a road culvert...I have had them out twice because all of the rock washed onto my land where I mow. There remains 20+ boulder still on my land. The bureaucracy with the county is just plain difficult.
aggiegal99
Gosh, it was ugly last year. I'm so greatful they didn't do it again!
Tex Aggie
AG
All good responses. I was curious how it was in other parts of the county.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.