Bryan vs. College Station [Staff Warning on OP]

10,063 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by cfox
agtwister_5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Making the move to B/CS soon. Been looking at houses online and it's clear you can get more house for your money in Bryan vs. CS (newer builds).

Looking for feedback on living in Bryan vs. CS (i.e., schools, reselling, etc.). Any kind of feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

[This thread will remain active. Posters that clutter it up with useless drivel will not remain active for a while. There is the warning for everyone. If you didn't see it and got banned, that's your fault for not reading the entire thread prior to posting. -Staff]
Brewmaster
AG

Bryan utilities are slightly cheaper
South CS feels more like suburbia to me (parts of it), I'm not a huge fan of it.

We're building in Bryan (Austin's Colony). Schools weren't a concern of ours, plus we really like the areas parks and trails (lots of big trees in the greenbelts and parks). Also our church is in Bryan, which factored into it.

best of luck with the move
AgsWin2011
AG
You more than likely don't want to be in the Bryan school district unless you're living in the Rudder area. I live in Nantucket. Love how quiet it is and I always see deer, rabbits and other form of wildlife. Very relaxing. Too bad work gets in the way.
agtwister_5
AG
I was told that elementary schools in Bryan are ok. True?
O.G.
^^^^Johnson Elem is, can't speak for the rest of them.
toolshed
AG
Do you homework on BISD vs CSISD. Bryan actually offers the same or more in areas of advanced education. Things like the Collegiate High School, International Baccalaureate program, dual language programs, etc. that many people aren't aware of. Yes, Bryan can have some lower testing scores, but it has a wider demographic range than CS. I would argue that CS has it's own issues that are less publicized than Bryan's for a number of reasons.

Again, do some research on the school programs offered before making a decision on schools.

We like Bryan because it's a bit less congested than CS for the most part. It has most all the amenities and anything in the greater BCS is only a 20 minute drive at most if you can't find it near you.
Sleepnumber
AG
Bryan=a town. CS=suburbs
CS78
[This warning is directed at you. We are not going to allow that type of posting on this board. Staff]
Kbeauty63
AG
I've lived in both, but bought in Bryan. IMO College Station is busier where Bryan is more laid back. I also do not have any kids - so no school issues for me. And I'll 2nd the short drive regardless of where you buy/build.
FlyRod
There are some older characterful neighborhoods in Bryan close to the university that aren't "hoods." Check out the Rosemary Loop near Cafe Eccel for example. One "catch" is that the houses will be smaller space-wise than all the mega-mansions popping up in CS, if you are ok with that. But lots of bigger older well established trees are in these neighborhoods too.
Yuccadoo
West of CS to the Brazos River is still really nice. BISD in this part of the CS-ETJ has kept the land prices below the CS south market for the past several decades, and it has great soil, wonderful trees, and no development to speak of, so little noise, traffic, etc., and deed restrictions that will maintain the current feeling of a neighborhood. We actually know almost all of our neighbors areawide and we watch out for each other. I believe there may be some lots off White Creek Road still available, although I think they are officially in CS now. I sold 30 acres with a remodeled home out here last year and the owner loves it. Consider rural when looking.
isitjustme
AG
They're both good places to live. We chose Bryan when we bought and are happy we did. Reasons:

1. Fewer college students in neighborhoods (they are there, but not as many)
2. Feel of an established town
3. Less traffic, especially on game day, graduation, and similar weekends
4. The schools - Johnson and Bowen elementary schools are only national blue ribbon schools in the area, and BISD offers great programs in middle school (Inquire/Odyssey) and high school (International Baccalaureate/Collegiate) not available in CSISD
5. A great and funky downtown area
6. The best Mexican food restaurants

That's enough for now. And I'm sure people who prefer CS can put together just as impressive a list, and they'd be right as well.
Brewmaster
AG
Great post agrab... some great points I forgot about.
FlyRod
Will echo all of agrab's points, esp. the one about lower density of students.
dgonzo99
halibut sinclair
DBSwooper
When you think about the money and resources duplicated when our cities aren't all that different and geographically small, I wish the cities would join forces when it came to things like sanitation, fire and police services.

Except for utilities, BTU is a rock star when it comes to utilities.
doubledog
quote:
Bryan=a town. CS=suburbs

Bryan=a small texas city. CS=a college town.
gopitt
I agree with the above posters. The LaSalle investment helped to set off the impressive turnaround of downtown Bryan that continues to this day. Amazing actually when you remember that downtown Bryan was basically a run down ghost town. A vibrant downtown is a city's heart and soul and CS lacks that desperately. Chimney Hill has been a disaster.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
When you think about the money and resources duplicated when our cities aren't all that different and geographically small, I wish the cities would join forces when it came to things like sanitation, fire and police services.

Except for utilities, BTU is a rock star when it comes to utilities.
This will never happen... too many government jobs would be eliminated... the outcry against it from every one with their lifetime job and retirement means it will never happen.
Abbyag06
We live off 1179 on the East side of Bryan and our daughter goes to Sam Houston Elementary, which is an excellent school. We moved from Houston 6 years ago and love it here. We didn't want to live in the city so bought on the outskirts. If you don't want congestion but want to be close to everything I would recommend the East side of Hwy 6. No college kids, mostly families and retired people.
mazag08
AG
Let's keep this on topic in relation to what the OP was asking.

Agtwister, I'm a local Realtor and I'd love to assist you if you aren't already working with a Realtor.

I can send you neighborhood statistics for multiple areas if you'd like.
aggieann
AG
FWIW, we like living in Copperfield, which is in Bryan (far east side) but centrally located so that it's equally easy to get to south CS or downtown Bryan.
gopitt
"I imagine land/rent is very expensive on Northgate... you'd have to have a pretty good business to afford the rent/mortgage for a retail store there. "
If CVS and other establishments can operate and profit in very new, upscale high rises in Northgate then I would think that other businesses can afford to rent old, dilapidated, run down buildings in the bar area and make a profit.
Tanya 93
When we lived there, we bought a house in Copperfield because it fed into Sam Houston, which was a great elementary at the time. I don't know if it changed, but it was considered one of the best in Bryan.

Plus, I loved the trees, deer, and rabbits there.
UmustBKidding
As of late Bryan is expanding with more upscale developments. College Station not so much. New annex areas in CS are to facilitate 1/4 & 1/3 acre lots. Most new development in Bryan is in nicer areas Health Science Center/Traditions, Miramont/Copperfield.
Schools vary. Worst schools in Bryan would be considered worse than the worst in College Station. But Bryan has good schools and programs that CS does not. Would say on average CS has better overall score but Bryan has bigger deviation, again because Bryan has some great programs (like IB) that CS does not offer.
Taxes in Bryan slightly higher (because older infrastructure). BTU way ahead of CSU on utilities right now. When BTU has to start paying their investment in TMPA they will go up. They have been putting money aside for years but the city several times has looked at it and said we can spend this. If they do spend it the rates will go WAY up. The other TMPA member cities are are in far worse shape than Bryan right now.
Not a big fan of spending any funds on speculative development, especially general fund money. Bryan spend on LaSalle (neutral to negative) Traditions (positive) but CS has spend on NG Parking garage (Way negative), multiple attempts at convention center (always a major failure) among others. But this is politics that only influences how your taxes will rise in the future (the will never go down). My recommendation is you plan to become involved shaping wherever you land. At time the residents of both Bryan and College Station scratch our heads and wonder if the water is tainted in city hall based on their proposals or decisions.
So come visit. Look at neighborhoods in both cities. Visit the schools you kids would attend for each location and the intermediate/middle/high school for that area.
Both are not the same towns they were when I came here in the mid 70's. The rats race far faster and at times it seems as bad as Houston. But the reality is you can go almost anywhere in the cities in 15-20 minutes no matter where you are. There are places in both Houston and Dallas that you can see from your car and the drive there is longer than 20 minutes.
Welcome to the neighborhood.

Post removed:
by user
Turtle88
AG
Some of these posts make me laugh. For example,"Bryan has a downtown,", like if you live in College Station you can not go to downtown Bryan. I live in CS work in Bryan, love both cities . Main thing is if you want older home, newer home, size, price range,acreage, then look at schools depending on age of children. Both school districts offer great schools and programs. College kids are everywhere,. There are some great homes in historic district of CS, if you can find one. Good luck!
PS3D
I think it's better to think of it as one large city with many different neighborhoods. Bryan has the best and worst of what both have to offer.
Spyderman
AG
Bryan has at least 4 DQs, whereas CS just 1...
Not sure why this is. Hoping..
dgonzo99
Johnson Elementary is considered the best in Brazos County. It has had ranked high in the nation more than any of the other schools in BCS combined. Bryan has more special programs like the pre-med program. CS doesn't, but they have some good schools sprinkled around. Overall, Mumford has the best school district around.
Ric Clark
Bought my townhome in Bryan and love the area/city..
cfox
We've lived right in the middle of Bryan and College Station for 5 years. Each has it's own advantage. It just depends on what you want. If you want suburbs go to CS if you want established neighborhoods, go to Bryan. There are great neighborhoods in both.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.