Unclear on New Car Sticker Rules

7,746 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by SARATOGA
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My inspection reads 3/5
My county tax tag reads 9/15

What are the new rules pertaining to this? Apparently there is now 1 tag for both?
Rexter
You need an inspection now. Then your next one will be when your registration expires in 2016
Rexter
Mine falls so that I get a 10 month break. Reg is 7/15 and insp is 9/15. I can register this year and don't have to get it inspected til I need the 9/16 registration. You can go to www.twostepsonesticker.com and click on motorists. There is a calculator to tell you if you need an inspection.
ksp
OK do this. Inspect car now and obtain Vehicle inspection Receipt. Keep in glove as you no longer have a sticker on windshield. Inspection now cost $7 (in brazos county) instead of $14.50. The other $7.50 will be collected at tax office now.

In september make sure to take VIR with you to tax office as proof it was done. If you lose it before then go to mytxcar.org, put in VIN and reprint it. If you do not take it with, they will send you packing.

Next march SKIP doing state inspection and wait until 9/16 and then do your state inspection again. They will be firm after 2016 that they be synced up. There will be a grace period to allow sync up to be done.

Other wise, twosteponesticker.com has all consumer info.
WildlifeAg02
My inspection runs out this month. Registration in Oct. So I had my inspection done, sticker was scraped off, and I have the VIR with me in the console. However, you will need a new one for registration as I believe the VIR expires after 60 or 90 days. So I get a huge break- Inspection 3/15 and then 10/16.
malibu9in1
VIR is only good for 90 days
Mr. Griswold
I've been told by police officers that Expired Inspection is no longer an offense. Therefore, I would just wait to get it inspected until your registration is up for renewal. If the inspection sticker expires before then, just take it off.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
quote:
VIR is only good for 90 days

The 90 day window begins on March 1, 2016. For now there is basically nothing as they've told law inforcement to ignore it
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
I've been told by police officers that Expired Inspection is no longer an offense. Therefore, I would just wait to get it inspected until your registration is up for renewal. If the inspection sticker expires before then, just take it off.

Awesome if true
ksp
quote:
quote:

Awesome if true
Once they are synced up it will be virtually impossible to not have it. You don't have and go to the tax office, they will not register you.

But my understanding is they won't ticket either until after 2016 and then you must be synced up.
Baseball32
So no more tags by mail anymore?
ksp
I am sure this will still happen, just an added $7.50 to cover the cost of the state inspection.

You can also renew at HEB, but not sure this still happens with the new change or not. Waiting on word on that
Nom de Plume
AG
I got mine in the mail a couple of weeks ago. They still mail it out if your inspection is current when you go online to register.
Post removed:
by user
ratfacemcdougal
If you renew at tax office or by mail, they can electronically verify the inspection is current and done within the 90 day window. If you renew at Kroger or HEB or anywhere that is not tax office on by mail, you will have to show your inspection receipt since a third party does not have access to the county database.
SARATOGA
Can we just stop with the 'inspection' nonsense ?

Just ad the 12 bucks to the registration tax.

Kid backed up 20 feet, honked the horn, drove forward 20 feet and looked at something under the hood.

Pointless.

Just add the inspection tax to the registration tax, and I'll just pay it online.

1 tax, 1 payment. Done.

No stickers either. (police can look it up to see if your current via license plate)
ksp
quote:
Can we just stop with the 'inspection' nonsense ?

Just ad the 12 bucks to the registration tax.

Kid backed up 20 feet, honked the horn, drove forward 20 feet and looked at something under the hood.

Pointless.

Just add the inspection tax to the registration tax, and I'll just pay it online.

1 tax, 1 payment. Done.

No stickers either. (police can look it up to see if your current via license plate)
A little more to it than that, if that is all you got, the correct procedure was not followed.

The car is supposed to driven up to a certain and then have distance marked to ensure it can stop within that area.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
you forgot the part where the kid makes up some bogus garbage about something minor being wrong with your car and he magically sells that needed part at his inspection place so you can just buy it from him and pass inspection.
ksp
quote:
you forgot the part where the kid makes up some bogus garbage about something minor being wrong with your car and he magically sells that needed part at his inspection place so you can just buy it from him and pass inspection.
Some shady shops , no doubt, and to the unknowing consumer. Best to know what is required and what isn't on your own. As with anything. The more you know!! Easy to measure your tires, also easy to check your wipers. Ask them to show you and show you the manual if you think it isn't on the up and up. I have done that before. Fair question to ask.
MsC2012
AG
Just because my car passes inspection today, doesn't mean tomorrow it won't blow up tomorrow. I feel inspection is pointless and only good the day you get it inspected. Just my .02
TxAgg07
AG
As someone who has an inspection license, has done inspections, and has owned a shop, you'd be surprised how many cars fail inspections that are in my opinion big safety issues. Inspections serve a good purpose.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
quote:
You are still required by law to have a valid inspection. The law that is no longer in effect is "Failure to Display Inspection Certificate", meaning you don't need an inspection sticker displayed anymore. Now, when you get your inspection done it goes into a state database. In theory, when your license plate is run by police, it will show if your inspection is valid or not.

If your inspection expires before your registration and you wait to get your car inspected, you can still get a ticket for expired inspection.
Mr. Griswold
This will all work itself out soon enough. No inspection, no registration. No longer will you have people driving around registered vehicles that won't pass inspection.
MsC2012
AG
That's true but who's to say that it fails today, I get that fixed, get it passing that tomorrow something major goes bad and it's not due for a year? It's just another tax. Lots of states have gotten away from inspections.
birdman
The mechanic will also give you a paper copy of inspection. My guy told me to put it in glove box so there aren't issues if I get pulled over or when I do registration later. I wouldn't count on state government database to be run correctly.
TxAgg07
AG
That's why you should check the safety items on your car yourself occasionally. It's the drivers responsibility to make sure the vehicle is safe for driving at all times.
MsC2012
AG
I understand that, but how many people actually do that? The inspection sticker is a tax, that's all. Many states have gotten rid of it. I've seen car on the road that I wouldn't bet are "safe" but yet they are on the road. Having an inspection doesn't prevent these cars from being on the road.

ksp
quote:
I understand that, but how many people actually do that? The inspection sticker is a tax, that's all. Many states have gotten rid of it. I've seen car on the road that I wouldn't bet are "safe" but yet they are on the road. Having an inspection doesn't prevent these cars from being on the road.

In these states your car is subject to be pulled over if an officer thinks it is unsafe or if he pulls you over for a traffic citation and feels it is unsafe, they can ground your vehicle on the spot. Just because states don't charge for them , doesn't mean they are not subject to being inspected. call it whatever you want, it is currently the law. Don't like it, fight it or don't drive or move. Easy peasy

MsC2012
AG
No I understand it's the law. I just think it's pointless. My opinion
ksp
quote:
No I understand it's the law. I just think it's pointless. My opinion
That's why I said do something about it. Get 20,000-30,000 of your closest friends, storm the capitol with a petition and get it changed. I'll sign it. I am sure lots of others will too.
Tim Weaver
Please don't! I want the inspection process in Brazos county to stay just like it is!

If we start having more "thorough" inspections, I won't be able to drive the car I love. It's perfectly safe btw. Just not all that "legal". Lol
TxAgg07
AG
Well considering all they do is a safety inspection, if it isn't legal then it isn't safe...
SARATOGA
Again.

Registration is a state tax

Inspection is a state tax.

Actual Inspection is pointless.

Combine 2 taxes

Pay online.

No more of anyones time WASTED going to inspection place to pay a tax that you could of / should of been paid online with registration.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.