Geocaching day-trip - location advice?

1,913 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jrhmc
Scooley01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some friends and I are wanting to take advantage of the nice weather this weekend and go geocaching. We're not really wanting to do ones *in* B/CS. Does anyone know of an area within an hour or so of town that has a good number of quality geocaches?
Jana-Ag
AG
I have found some good ones up in Leon County.
Scooley01
AG
On second thought, it looks like they're super dense around town, so maybe we'll just stay after all! Can anyone recommend a park or area that has some fun ones?
Corporal Punishment
AG
On that military walk at Veterans Park there are a few IIRC.

Might be more fun to go to Huntsville State Park. Nice trails and several caches there.
jrhmc
AG
My Girl Scout troop has done the ones at Huntsville State Park and they are a lot of fun. We've also done a few around town but some of those have been moved or are missing because of development. The park ones are usually a safe bet, though.
PrincessButtercup
AG
There are several missing in CS. If Huntsville has good ones, I'd go there. I think the experience in CS is a little underwhelming. I've found many, but the finds haven't been incredible.
GoneGirl
AG
Brenham actually has a geo tour that's designed to make a day or a weekend out of it.
As of right now, I believe they are the only actual geotour in the state.

http://www.visitbrenhamtexas.com/geocaching/

There are also a series in Spring along Spring Creek - Greenway Trail Hike or Bike that looks like it could be a day's worth.

What are you looking for - park and grab skirt lifters or larger caches with swag and a bit more challenge.

Brazos Bend State Park is also supposed to have a pretty good series.

We did a series called "Getting the Goose" that stretched from North Austin to almost Bastrop. It's been a few years though. Don't know if the series is still there.
OnlyANobody
"Getting the Goose" is still there. Last find: March 16, 2015.
John Cocktolstoy
Take some water with you and hit Lick Creek Park. Very good caching there!
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
aggiegal99
We like the caches at the state parks on Lake Somerville. There was one that took us a two mile bike ride on the path connecting the two parks, then a scramble up a hill, and lots of searching under, around, in before we found it. Fun!
Red Krow
Geocaching!!!!

There are countless amounts of them around our twin cities. Always be sure to check the recent logs on the geocaching website or the phone app before setting out to find one to be sure it has not turned up missing. There are many great places with in a short drive to find them. Huntsville and Somerville both have great ones as other have said with some nice hikes or trail rides. Washington on the Brazos has some good ones. I don't think that I have found a town or state park or other recreational area that does not have some caches. It has become very popular yet I am amazed at how many people I talk to that still don't know anything about it.

I didn't know about the Washington county tour. Thanks TxElsie for posting that information.

That will probably be my next adventure.
OnlyANobody
One of my kiddos was really into this a few years ago, and this thread renewed my interest in getting into it again. I found this Geocache named "The Jeep Series" by my hometown: (Point of reference - the longest part of the jeep spans about 3 1/2 miles.)

TJJackson
Thanks to this thread, my wife and I have started Geocaching!
CrottyKid
AG
Does anyone have a good tutorial page for those of us who are interested but have no idea what this is?
jrhmc
AG
https://www.geocaching.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.