Collings Foundation Fly-in this Weekend at Easterwood (B-24, B-17, and P-51 Mustang)

4,461 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Turf-Ag02
rcannaday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know some here might be interested. Looking forward to seeing some real history:

Times: 3/27 2 pm - 5 pm 3/28-3/29 9 am - 5 pm
Admission: $12 Adult / $6 Children (12 & Under)

The "Wings of Freedom Tour" has two goals: to honor the sacrifices made by
our veterans that allow us to enjoy our freedom; and to educate the
visitors, especially younger Americans, about our national history and
heritage. The Foundation encourages people to tour the planes, talk to
the veterans who come to visit the aircraft, and participate in a
"flight experience". This tour showcases two fully restored bomber
aircraft: a B-24 Liberator and B-17 Flying Fortress. The newest addition
to the Wings of Freedom Tour is a WWII P-51C Mustang dual-control
fighter aircraft.
Brewmaster
AG
Outstanding! I'll be there
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Will be there with camera in hand.
Tailgate88
armymom
Any suggestions to where I could park my car to view the planes as they are flying into Easterwood? My mom would love to see it (from the car). She worked at Love Field in Dallas during WWII.
rcannaday
AG
The only parking I know of is in front of the FBO, or parking lot at Easterwood. Or maybe one of the grassy knolls on the TAMU side of the street. Why don't you give the FBO a call, and let them know your mom's situation. They might be able to arrange something for you.

Bucketrunner
What is FBO?
momlaw
AG
They are here in association with the Living History Weekend at the Museum of the American GI.
Details here.
The folks putting this on have been doing awesome work honoring American military history.
rcannaday
AG
FBO Location
BlueMiles
AG
Is one of the planes already in town? Seems like I hear something up there this evening.
GSS
Just watched what looked like a C-130 land at Easterwood.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Cool will try to hit the exhibit and the reenactment. Kids will love it
Rapier108
quote:
Any suggestions to where I could park my car to view the planes as they are flying into Easterwood? My mom would love to see it (from the car). She worked at Love Field in Dallas during WWII.
If the wind is not from the north, then a perfect place is Research Park. They'll fly right by as long as they're landing on the primary runway.

However, if the wind is out of the north, then they'll be landing at the other end of the airport, by the Brayton Fire Training Field. Not really anywhere good down there since there isn't any parking (except at Bryaton and they frown on that) and A&M cops tend to drive that road as it leads to the nuclear reactor and parking on the side of the road tends to get their attention.
GSS
quote:
...and A&M cops tend to drive that road as it leads to the nuclear reactor and parking on the side of the road tends to get their attention.
Only if you park outside the perimeter fence at the reactor. Plenty of road side area from Brayton fire field to the reactor facility.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Sometimes I got out and park at the end of the runway by Brayton and eat lunch. Never had a problem with the police. Cool view of planes doing touch and gos too
aggieann
AG
BrazosValleyWeekend has a list of activities for every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Spyderman
AG
Both the B-24 and B-17 are flying around this pm. Love the sound..

No sight of a P-51 yet..
Rapier108
Good to know the cops aren't as paranoid as they used to be. Of course, for about 6-8 years after 9/11, A&M was convinced it was some big terrorist target.

I'm assuming that the B-17 is "Nine O Nine"?
Goose83
AG
quote:
I'm assuming that the B-17 is "Nine O Nine"?
Yes.

Quick pic of "Witchcraft" pulling up to the terminal earlier today.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S

Spyderman
AG
The B-17 came right over my place headed for the Museum festivities around 3:30. Very impressive hardware. Then there was all this shooting and stuff over that way. Sounded like a serious skirmish going on. Wish I had my camera as the 17 was darn low.
Chazz03
AG
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Here you go, Gerry! Got one with your name on it!
Rexter
That was a nice display of aircraft, and really nice people running the show. The rides are fun as well. I took my son and his buddy on the Huey, and the rib took a half hour ride in the P51. She had a blast.
Turf-Ag02
AG
So after spending most of the day on Saturday looking at the planes and taking a ride in the Huey, I realized my dad's overwhelming fondness of the P-51. It touched me so much, that I really want to get him in one for a ride. Unfortunately, I didn't have the cash on hand Saturday to get him in the plane, so I have reached out to my mother and sister to split the cost. Problem now is, I have no idea where I can go to get him in the Mustang and I don't think I have time to get him in with the Collings Foundation before they leave Texas.

Any idea where I can look to make this happen??

Thanks in advance.
AggiePirate
AG
Dallas or close to Dallas
drred4
They were in Brenham this Monday till today. I think they said they were going to fredericksburg next.
jimmyb
austin then fb

Austin, TXApril 1 @ 2:00 pm - April 3 @ 12:00 pm
Austin, TX, 4309 Emma Browning Ave, Austin, TX 78719 United States+ Google Map
Find out more
$12 Adults / $6 Children 12 and under
Fredericksburg, TXApril 3 @ 2:00 pm - April 5 @ 5:00 pm
Fredericksburg, TX, 217 Airport Drive, Fredericksburg, TX 78624 United States+ Google Map
Find out more
$12 Adults / $6 Children 12 and under
Lubbock, TXApril 6 @ 12:00 pm - April 8 @ 12:00 pm
Lubbock, TX, 6304 North Ced

I also spoke to someone tues night that seems to be quite familiar with the p51 at least. Said it is a model C ( with a spitfire canopy - forgot that part - eh 2$ beers ) and was converted to dual controls. It also has the merlin motor as opposed to the Allison. That explains why it sounded so wicked on TO.
Turf-Ag02
AG
Unfortunately we won't be able to get him in the plane this go around, may have to wait for them to come back to Texas, which is hopefully next year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.