Recent trip to dental office? Is this normal?

3,863 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by duffelpud
mtec
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been on the hunt for a great denist for the past year or two. I want someone who knows what they are doing, isn't too proactive and will be compassionate/patient (I have a fear of going to the dentist - but nothing too crazy).

Until a year ago, I have NEVER had a cavity. I had one filled at a previous dentist. Had consulations and x-rays to review the possiblity of other cavities that dentist #1 said I had... I can never get the same answer from two dentists in a row. I either don't have a cavity here but have another one there, etc.

About a month ago, I went to have a filing done at a new-to-me dentist in College Station. I had only been there once for a cleaning. I went in to this new dentist to have two cavities filled (one on each side of the same tooth, per my understanding). I got in the office and no one was introduced to me. They put me in a chair. I had been worried all day about some things and expressed my concern about being afraid of dental procedures. They just laughed that off and said "Everyone hates the dentist." They got started on my filling and the dentist did two small drills on my tooth and then got up and left. The dental hygienist/dental assistant/dental student (I don't know who this person was but it was not the dentist) continued doing my filling, pushing on my teeth and using the yellow light to "cure" the filling - I guess, I'm not a dentist.

She said I was all done and asked if my teeth felt rough. I told her they didn't bumpy but they felt "chalky" (if that's a word). I asked her if that was normal? I never got a straight forward "yes, that's normal" or "no, that isn't normal." She just responded saying "I can polish it if you'd like." It felt like 4 or 5 of my teeth over on that side were chalky and sharp. She polished it and it still didn't feel right to me but I was getting upset and just got out of the chair to go pay. I owed a balance from my cleaning that my insurance didn't cover so my payment was $40 more than I was quoted that very same morning. I still felt like my teeth weren't right so the dental hygienist/assistant/whoever took me back again to polish MORE. I still felt a rought spot so she called the dentist over. He used a metal pick to pick between my teeth and scratched at them and it felt somewhat better.

My teeth still don't feel the same - is this normal for a filling? Is it okay or even legal for a dentist to start a procedure and then have someone else finish? He was working on other patients at the same time in separate rooms/areas.

Thanks for your input. Any good dentist suggestions are appreciated.
originaltexan
Curious, was it a regular dentist office or one in a retail strip with a name like Big Mountain Dentistry?

(name is made up)
mtec
I don't want to say the name because I don't want to make myself a target, but it was not in a strip center. It's an office that has pretty good reviews online and seems like it would be reputable.
AgSportsFan2007
AG
For any procedures I've ever had, the dentist has always been the one completing the work. Cleanings are done by the hygienist (or dentist if there is no hygienist), but my experience has always been the dentist doing the more advanced procedures.

csnole
Sounds like my dentist who I think is great.

It is normal for your teeth to feel different up to a point. (sensitivity, roughness, bite off) Just call and explain that you want to come back and have them look at it. I would also assume their nonchalant attitude was to help calm you and act as if it's no big deal (which it really isn't in the grand scheme of things)

I personally feel relaxed the more the Dentist and assistant yuck it up and talk about mundane things - and I tell myself when the dentist up and leaves the room I'm golden as he wouldn't leave if things were wrong and worrisome.
ksp
The older you get (not saying your old lol) the more you will see this. The amount of stuff that breaks is rapid after 40, at least in my experience.

Sounds normal to me, I use Rychetsky and after he retired continue to go to his son. Super nice guy and assistants are great too.
threecatcorner
Doesn't sound totally normal to me. Neither does having to pay anything on a cleaning beyond what insurance covers. If there was a light curing stuff, were you getting sealants on any if your teeth? I think that the hygienists often set those.

My dentist is Dr Jeannie Williams at Emerald Parkway Dentistry. She is compassionate and works well with cowards. If you ask, she will also arrange stuff so you can see the problem (big screen over your head where they can pull up a camera image of your mouth). There's also a good view from their windows so you can usually see a bird, squirrel, or rabbit (semi calming to look at nature instead of a wall).
littlehawk
No, I don't think that's normal at all and I don't blame you for being upset. I have never had anyone besides my dentist place anything that was going to be permanent. You might want to look at the Academy of General Dentistry website and see what dental assistants are and are not allowed to do, placing anything permanent such as fillings or polishing are not on the list.
This is your health so don't be afraid to speak up or ask questions.
ksp
Paying above what insurance pays is very normal. your insurance has a set amount they pay. MOST all dentist in town charge more than that. I have to pay $23 more for cleaning twice a year. Know your policy, and always ask they contact your insurance prior to any work and they can quote you any difference.

Fairly standard stuff there but will add, it is fair to question why it was more than you quoted.
RDH80
AG
# 1 --it is illegal by the state board for the dentist to delegate that duty to an assistant or hygienist.
The only material that can be placed by an auxiliary is a sealant or a temporary filling.

If a preparation was done (in your case 2 small holes drilled-which is normal) and an assistant placed the filling material and determined your bite as "normal", that is practicing dentistry.
My guess is that you were charged for a filling regardless and that makes what the assistant did an illegal act.
BlazeHarper
After I have had a filling done they have a thin film of something you bite down on and remove. They then look at it and see how to adjust the filling area which involves grinding. Then if does not feel right they have you bite down again. The adjustment is important for long term satisfaction as if it does not feel right it probably isn't and needs adjustment.
RDH80
AG
I would speak to your dentist privately or go to the state board website and file a complaint.
www.tsbde.state.tx.us and click on enforcement and complaints.
mtec
Thank you for all the feedback. I really appreciate it!
originaltexan
I would inquire with dentist before complaining to a board. Make sure you know and understand the facts.

Maybe someone had a heart attack in the next chair and he had to go tend to the issue at hand.
RDH80
AG
doesn't matter if someone had a heart attack in the next chair--assistants cannot place fillings and adjust the bite. Would you want an on the job trained person providing you with medical care if the law required that an MD provide it?
unmade bed
Sounds normal to me depending on what assistant actually did. You said dentist only did drilling, but are you sure he didn't put filling in? I know when I have had cavity filled the dentist comes in and does his thing, then leaves and assistant continues to do some work, make sure I keep mouth open, etc.

Now if assistant did install filling that's a big no no, but I would be sure before accusing them of that.

As for payment, that depends on your insurance.
originaltexan
The hot gun on a filling has always been done by a hygenist in this town.

I think it is some kind of sealer or something.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
Is this your dentist?

medic1969p
Sounds normal based on my experience.

I also recommend speaking to the dental office to be clear what was done before filing a complaint. You really don't know for a fact the hygenist placed your filling - it's an assumption......
Jason86
AG
It's possible that you received a sealant that required a "fissurotomy" or the cleaning of a stained groove which is normal in some cases. With that the dentist could have lightly cleaned the groove to ensure no decay and then had the dental assistant (person who holds the suction and can perform reversible procedures on you) place the sealant. It is one method of performing a sealant that could potentially be regarded as a filling.

As far as fillings that tend to be there at some dentist office and not at others it is perfectly normal. Some dentists are more conservative and some a little less just depending on their experiences and the patients risk level for cavity development.

If you're unsure how something feels I'd encourage you to speak to the office and tell them you'd like the doctor to check your bite and fillings. Like others mentioned, don't jump to conclusions about anything, give your dentist the opportunity to answer any questions you may have first.
Ag Mom 91
S
I have been going to the Rychetsky's for 18 years now, as well as my family members and some friends. Have had many cleanings and procedures done throughout the years and never had a problem. Dr. R. stresses that if 'anything' doesn't feel right after the numbness wears off, to call his office right back, and they will work me in. I cannot say enough good about him. Their office does offer 'laughing gas' if you are in need of it (costs extra, of course); but, it is very understandable that many people require this for calming purposes. As long as Dr. R. pumps my gums with the numbing meds, I am good to go!! Also (regarding your description of the filling) - Dr. R. does all of the filling work.
originaltexan
Some gal with a tattoo put that heat gun in my mouth.

5 minutes later I was cruising down the highway.

No objections.
ksp
quote:
I have been going to the Rychetsky's for 18 years now, as well as my family members and some friends. Have had many cleanings and procedures done throughout the years and never had a problem. Dr. R. stresses that if 'anything' doesn't feel right after the numbness wears off, to call his office right back, and they will work me in. I cannot say enough good about him. Their office does offer 'laughing gas' if you are in need of it (costs extra, of course); but, it is very understandable that many people require this for calming purposes. As long as Dr. R. pumps my gums with the numbing meds, I am good to go!! Also (regarding your description of the filling) - Dr. R. does all of the filling work.
We can't brag on him to much...shhhhh
BCSMom
I went from no cavities ever to a cavity. It was filled and then needed root canal. It has taken me a few months to get used of the adjustment of the crown. I did have to go back and get the bite adjusted and that helped a bunch. The crown does feel different than my other actual back molars.
AggieJason
AG
What's normal is for your mouth to "feel different." Your mouth/tongue is EXTREMELY sensitive to almost imperceptive changes, including fillings that alter the geometry of your dentia.

What is NOT normal is them disregarding your concerns. Most practices will have a hygienist / assistant do the cleanings but a licensed MD doing the fillings. An assistant may help with that procedure but never lead/finish unsupervised. In this office it may be be a new doctor that doesn't have his/her feet wet. In either case, if it didn't feel right, you have every right to politely raise hell 'till they make it right. If they're doing their job well, they'll have you bite down on a piece of film so they can get a bite pattern and adjust as needed. If they didn't do that... well, it's no wonder your mouth felt weird.
duffelpud
AG
Options abound...

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.