French Drain or Grading - Help

3,602 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jac4
CapeAggie89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the typical suburban house very close together with my neighbor and the land slopes to form a low spot between the houses. Can anyone suggest a local company that can come out and assess the situation and advise on best course of action? I have a constant pool of water between the houses and getting tired of the dog tracking all the mud inside, never mind the mosquito issue.

Thank you in advance.
ksp
French drain, if you are interested, is a really easy DIY project. I wouldn't even bother with trying to bring in dirt.

Rent a ditch witch and youtube videos and a weekends worth of work. Took me and a friend 8 hrs on a saturday and 4.5 more on Sunday and was 60-70%% less than any quote I received. Hardest part was getting the hole dug under AC unit, otherwise just some good ol physical labor. Oh and beer drinking
Scruffy
AG
I put one in at my parents house back around 1997.

Easy to do yourself.
momlaw
AG
We had similar problems with the standing water killing native trees ten years ago. It took 18 months of cycling through various landscape and tree professionals to find Jeff Lehde, Master Arborist and Keo Ehrhardt.

Keo was the first and only who measured the grade in various areas and put together a plan, including better handling of gutter runoff. His folks did a great install and our issues are for the most part (6" rain in one week is tough for a few days, but then dries) resolved and the volunteer growth of trees is overwhelming. Makes me kind of crazy to pull the seedlings like weeds.

Keo Ehrhardt
979 255 7718 - cell for text

Bet he is busy with his kids this week. Next week might have a better chance of catching him.
CapeAggie89
AG
Thanks for the help. I travel a lot out of the country (more than 100 days a year) so I while this is something I could probably tackle, I would rather spend my time with loved ones. Appreciate the input though.
CapeAggie89
AG
Thanks momlaw, will give him a call next week. Not in a huge hurry but want to finally get this resolved.
ksp
quote:
Thanks for the help. I travel a lot out of the country (more than 100 days a year) so I while this is something I could probably tackle, I would rather spend my time with loved ones. Appreciate the input though.
Good call!
Scruffy
AG
Have them help you.
Builds character or something.
toolshed
AG
Ditch Witches do wonders for irrigation systems, underground utilities, trees, etc.!
69ag
Jason of Green Guys Landscaping
Aggie owned and operated
979-571-4811
313-7-12thMan
Paterson Landscape is one of the best in CS.
CapeAggie89
AG
Thanks to all for the suggestions
07bluebonnet
If you would ever consider doing this yourself, be sure to call 811 to mark for underground utilities first! We had one put in at one of our homes and there were so many pipes and wires between the houses that the company we hired had to dig it out by hand. Safety first!
PS3D
Have you made sure it wasn't a pipe break? I had one at a rental house I lived in, and the yard became mushy, it was eroding the fill dirt from below the house, and the neighbors got tired of their driveway and backyard being wet. They ended up having to cut a hole in the wall to patch it.
AggiePhil
AG
This topic comes up once or twice a year. If TexAgs did a "Best of MyBCS" contest, Keo would win the category for Best Landscape Architect.
BQ_90
AG
quote:
If you would ever consider doing this yourself, be sure to call 811 to mark for underground utilities first! We had one put in at one of our homes and there were so many pipes and wires between the houses that the company we hired had to dig it out by hand. Safety first!
It's the law, don't want to get fined for cutting underground line
ksp
quote:
quote:
It's the law, don't want to get fined for cutting underground line
Yup thought it went without saying but best it was mentioned
CapeAggie89
AG
Thanks, I am definitely aware of calling 811 before any digging. That is one of my other reasons for not wanting to do this myself. There are quite a few drains in this area and I don't want to deal with all the mess that might go with it. House is only 4 years old so would not expect it to be a burst pipe. Not to rule it out but my water bills are not indicative of a broken pipe.
Post removed:
by user
PS3D
quote:
Thanks, I am definitely aware of calling 811 before any digging. That is one of my other reasons for not wanting to do this myself. There are quite a few drains in this area and I don't want to deal with all the mess that might go with it. House is only 4 years old so would not expect it to be a burst pipe. Not to rule it out but my water bills are not indicative of a broken pipe.

The giveaway is a continual water hissing that seemingly has no source.
CapeAggie89
AG
Nope, no water hissing, agree total giveaway.

Texted Keo, meeting him at the house later this week. Thank you all
jac4
AG
quote:
Nope, no water hissing, agree total giveaway.

Texted Keo, meeting him at the house later this week. Thank you all

How did it work out for you CapeAggie?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.