Disappointed with suddenlinks cable channles

3,049 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by BQ_90
Garage Door Pro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My internet is great and they are always friendly, but I miss most of the channels they lost a while back and im paying to much for TV I don't really care to watch.

I had direct TV before and hate that in any type of bad weather, I lost connection.... Help!

What are my best options? I would like the channels offered by Viacom.

any advice is appreciated, and sorry if i'm beating a dead horse. I did a quick search and didn't really find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Symons AGD
originaltexan
Programming is rotten no matter which way you go.

Some are using HD antennas to get free broadcast, and then using the internet for youtube, netflix, etc.
BQ_90
AG
I've had DIRECTV for 20 years and maybe lose signal maybe 4 times a year for less than 5 minutes. If you are losing signal then your dish was installed wrong.
BCStalk
We love dish. It's cheap and we never lose signal. It has jumped to standard definition 2 times in the last year, but is great so far.
InMyOpinion
quote:
I've had DIRECTV for 20 years and maybe lose signal maybe 4 times a year for less than 5 minutes. If you are losing signal then your dish was installed wrong.

I have considered Dish or Direct for several years now and ironically my friends that I know watch too much TV complain that they loose their signal pretty regularly during storms. My friends that don't watch much TV say they never loose their signal.
techno-ag
AG
You can't beat the national companies for programing. They've got millions of customers to support all those channels.

As for weather, if it gets bad enough cable will go out, too. I wouldn't let weather concerns dissuade you from satellite.
ro828
We've had record rainfall this year, but haven't lost our DirecTV signal once. Now, we don't watch TV all day (maybe an hour and a half a day) so it may have gone out while we weren't watching. We've had DirecTV before, and back then we lost the signal a lot. But no problems now.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
We've had record rainfall this year, but haven't lost our DirecTV signal once. Now, we don't watch TV all day (maybe an hour and a half a day) so it may have gone out while we weren't watching. We've had DirecTV before, and back then we lost the signal a lot. But no problems now.
It's true, during the drought years losing the signal to rain was a non-issue.
BQ_90
AG
Basically a storm blows in, my signal may be "lost" for a minute or two, rarely longer than five minutes.

Maybe once a year it's so bad that it's out longer and might cause me to reboot the receiver.

If they are losing it all the time then there is something wrong.

Also cable isn't oerfect, it sounds like your frientpds have a problem if they must have a signal every second of the day

ksp
Directv has gotten so expensive, after 10 years about to cancel it. Not sure what I am going to do.

Leaning towards SL but only keep it active from Sept-Super bowl, then relying on Sling and netflix.

When ESPN starts to offer their line up stand alone, I may cut the cable cord all together.
BQ_90
AG
call them and threaten to bolt, they'll then start offering up discounts.
rhoswen
AG
Count me in the "love directv" group. Rarely did I lose signal.
ksp
quote:
call them and threaten to bolt, they'll then start offering up discounts.
I usually do and they are quick to discount it $40-$50 in years past. Was rather shocked when they offered $5 off. Insulting actually.

Apple TV will have lots of channel options also, hopefully later this year it comes out.
nwspmp
I've had probably two signal drops, for a short time, and only during VERY heavy storms this year. From a technical standpoint, a good dish installation and alignment, and good quality cabling helps for a solid experience. Same thing as to why I've rarely had cable modem issues with Suddenlink, even though I run both DirecTV and Suddenlink on a mixed coax network in my house.

I've had Suddenlink and rarely had a technical or signal drop issue, but did experience a lot more of a video compression and artifacting on HD channels.
Tailgate88
AG
If you lose signal because it's raining too hard, you should probably turn off the TV and go outside and watch the rain, because it's probably a pretty cool rain storm.

Definitely not worth cancelling DirectTV over. Also had it for 20 years and have only lost it a handful of times when it was really pouring.
ksp
ya losing signal is a non issue, if you getting upset over 20 minutes of lost signal a year, you are way into TV and could use the break anyways.
MsC2012
AG
We just switched to Dish because I missed my Viacom Channels. (I know I know). But we're not paying much. I've been happy with the Hopper as well. Being able to watch your DVR or live TV on your phone is pretty fantastic.
Garage Door Pro
thanks everybody,

may give direct another try
Counterpoint
AG
Definitely give it another try. Your dish was probably installed wrong. I watch a ton of tv and I probably lose signal for 5 minutes a year.

If you do decide to get Directv, use this referral number (71331844) and we will both get $100.00!
JR Ewing
AG
We have Dish and never lose signal, even with significant storms. You probably just had you DirecTV installed improperly. You may want to check out the Hopper. It is pretty ridiculous, and IMO, better than the Genie that DirecTV has. Here is a $50 off referral code, if you decide to use Dish instead of DirecTV. It is less expensive overall, since Dish fights many of the price increases. Dish Referral Code: VCD0013183249

Good luck getting some reliable service and selection!
AG @ HEART
quote:
We have Dish and never lose signal, even with significant storms. You probably just had you DirecTV installed improperly. You may want to check out the Hopper. It is pretty ridiculous, and IMO, better than the Genie that DirecTV has. Here is a $50 off referral code, if you decide to use Dish instead of DirecTV. It is less expensive overall, since Dish fights many of the price increases. Dish Referral Code: VCD0013183249

Good luck getting some reliable service and selection!

Thanks for the code JR I just signed up for dish and it was still valid! Enjoy your -$5 a month!
InMyOpinion
quote:
Also cable isn't oerfect, it sounds like your frientpds have a problem if they must have a signal every second of the day

Or maybe they record a ton of shows at various times throughout the day every day and actually get full use of a service they pay for.

So for the purposes of evaluating a service I think the input from people that are heavy users of a product is better than someone who barely uses it.
BQ_90
AG
If they're recording all the time when do they ever have time to watch anything.

I've had Directv for 20 years. Signal is fine 99% of the time. Cable isn't anymore reliable IMO. Nothing is 100% reliable.

If somebody is having signal issues all the time, I'd bet on faulty installation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.